corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Fireplace Project [Update: Finished Pg2]

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fireplace Project [Update: Finished Pg2]
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Nov 12 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a hearth thickness at least 12mm; if you're already onto concrete, you'll get away with pretty much anything. Mine are 19mm (3/4") limestone slabs from a local stone merchants but B&Q and Wickes sell similar at about £8 for. 600x300 tile. You need a minimum span to combustible materials of 150mm from any side or 300mm from any opening to comply with building regs.

I left my flue liner long until I'd back filled with vermiculite. The new pot/hanger is strapped to the liner and then the pot sits and is strapped to the clay pot.it compresses a little but but not a huge amount.

There are a number of different ways but its dependent upon the stove you buy as much as anything else. Look at the hearth and wall temperatures for starters. Mine is double skinned and insulated so projects most of its heat out of the front and top so not as hot against the inside of the reveal. That said, I'm using an insulfrax ceramic fibre board with Vitcas high temp. Plaster which is good to 640 degrees. My brick work was fucked though and wouldn't have cleaned up so I didn't have many options

[Edited on 12-11-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

13th Nov 12 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you getting building control out to inspect it? Do you need to tell them/have them out to see it before you start or after its done or while its nearly done so they can inspect it?
RichR
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 07:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not bothering, I've adhered to or surpassed everything in building regs and kept the receipts and taken photos at every stage. I could get a HETAS engineer out to inspect and certify the installation but I don't see it as necessary. I'll be having building control out when I have my extensions built so will probably tack it on to that.
mwg

14th Nov 12 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't bother saying anything about it.
RichR
Premium Member

26th Nov 12 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got plastered out over the weekend

First time I've used Vitcas, high temp plaster and what a bastard it is to work with. Nothing like normal multi; it's more like bonding to spread. Finish is good but it took a hell of a lot of time to get there.

Just got to paint the breast and also the stove itself as its got a bit scratched since I bought it and then I'll be finished in time to put the tree up
baza31

26th Nov 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should look good, what what reason you put the angle bits in the alcove for again? I know what your saying regarding it getting signed off but you do know your house insurace will be void if anything happens
RichR
Premium Member

26th Nov 12 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll get it signed off when I get the remaining works done; building regs are will be needed for both extensions. TBF, I don't need building regs to sign it off, just a HETAS engineer which is straight forward. I'm even contemplating doing the HETAS exam myself as I've got the requirements to do it now.

My house insurance does cover the house whilst its being renovated and this forms part of the renovation. tbf, I don't see anything failing as its been done correctly and would be very rare, if ever, that I'd leave the fire in whilst I wasn't home.

The angled bits are due to the structure of the chimney; the flue is 1/3 the size of the reveal and immediately goes off to the right as you look at the chimney, so the angles support the sides of the flue; I'd prefer it without but there wasn't really a way round as I didn't have the depth to put a second lintel at the back of the reveal.
baza31

26th Nov 12 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I see. Yeh for sake of £50 it's defiantly worth getting before you light it .
Nismo

26th Nov 12 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good.
AndyKent

26th Nov 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good, although preferred the brickwork tbh.
RichR
Premium Member

26th Nov 12 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

photos made the brickwork look acceptable. In reality it was shit; built using scrag ends and mismatching (not in a rustic way) bricks. In real life, it looked and would have been awful so looking for something fairly crisp and clean instead.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished

and a few christmas decs up

[Edited on 04-12-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Nismo

3rd Dec 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks spot on! the wood pile to the right, you not going to have a wood sotre or something as the woods gonna make a mess of the freshly painted wall?
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, eventually-the sides aren't painted yet. The whole room needs wiring and plastering but I wanted the fire in to save a bit on heating through winter
Ben G

3rd Dec 12 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks fantastic lee! great job. would certainly impress me if i walked in and that was there.

is the wood mantel centrered correctly? looks like it hangs over the right side more? may just be the lighting/way the pics been taken though.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it's just the photo, measurements are spot on. There is a slight twist to the beam though which throws your eye a bit too but when you put the level on it or measure it, it's fine.
antscorsa

3rd Dec 12 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow looks great that, really nice feature for the room
N16K

3rd Dec 12 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks really nice, good job.
Lee_fr200

3rd Dec 12 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great that mate