corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
21st Oct 14 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
you could try liquid rubber in your mounts.
im using vibra technics front mount and its great. I know of others with this in astras too.

I'm gonna go for tiger seal as its worked well in the past on other cars. The expoxy just had zero give in it I'll see how that gets on but will splash out on vibra tech mounts if need be
dewismotorsport

22nd Oct 14 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided I couldn't live with the dog bone mount being solid so I've smashed it out again and I'll fill it with tiger seal once some turns up at work

Decided to remove the tyre on the 19"s as I had a crack in one and it caused it to run flat and trash the tyre so made a start in a repair, forgot to take a before photo but ground a V into it and welded it up

And then just ground it back and it's as good as new, just need to order a new tyre now
dewismotorsport

23rd Oct 14 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought myself a Vectra C 2.2 SRI 52 plate equal length shaft in the hope it would fit was only £25 delivered so worth the risk.

Split it down and was happy the bracket fitted up fine

Checked the length against a spare vectra b shaft I had laying around and it was the same so all good, however the outer CV is larger splined on the vectra C one so whipped that off and was happy to fine the inner diameter of the cv was the same so just a straight swap

So whipped the CV off the vectra b shaft, removing the abs ring and re fitted to C shaft and job done. Nice cheap mod and will help with torque steer once charged until I get the Quaife diff
dewismotorsport

28th Oct 14 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last of the refresh stuff has turned up.
QH front wishbones
Febi top mounts
Delphi drop links
Delphi ARB bushes

Also:
Direnza alloy radiator
New areial

Also bought two new tyres just went for a cheap set of Nankang NS2 in 215/35/R19 had good reviews for the money so will do for the motorway miles I do, fitted them in my break so will get them on the car later.

dewismotorsport

8th Nov 14 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got a belt to fit 5pk1495

Also treated her to some new track wheels, went for the 16"x7" vectra b supertouring alloys. Gonna whip the tyres off and paint them gloss black then fit the 225/50/R16 A048's so that should give me some more grip once charged.
dewismotorsport

17th Nov 14 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whipped the old tyres off and gave the alloys a good clean and de grease then quick rattle can coat of gloss black inside and out

Then fitted the 225/50/R16 A048's and R888's and balanced up
dewismotorsport

26th Nov 14 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got round to giving the daily some love and upgrades. Started with the suspension, the coilovers has had a broken helper spring for probably nearly a year and I've never been a fan of the spring poundage as was pretty soft whilest on track. I had a spare set of 8" 350lb springs from previous track cars, problem I had was they wouldn't fit into the top or bottom collar of the coilovers so whipped them on the lathe and turned them down

Bottom

Old vs new

All fitted up with the new top mounts

Set to lowest and dropped back down and oh dear

Went old school on its ass and cut the springs

All back together with the new drop links fitted too

Normal height restored

After test drive car feels loads better, not as crashy over bumps and less body roll through the bends so happy days
davegreen
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good!
oh to have access to a lathe again
dewismotorsport

26th Nov 14 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
looking good!
oh to have access to a lathe again

Cheers yeah is mega handy
AlexW

27th Nov 14 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top work dude!
dewismotorsport

5th Dec 14 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
Top work dude!

Cheers mate

Completed the rest of the front end refresh by fitting new wishbones and the equal length drive shaft

Had to grind a tiny bit off the bracket as it sat hard against the downpipe I'd made

Test drive done and car felt noticeably sharper on steering input which is nice as its gonna be getting a hard year coming up out on track.
monkeytwizzel

5th Dec 14 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that anti-roll bar as close as it looks to the steering rack arm?
dewismotorsport

5th Dec 14 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by monkeytwizzel
Is that anti-roll bar as close as it looks to the steering rack arm?

Nah I think it's just the angle the picture was taken as its no where near
dewismotorsport

7th Jan 15 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Final mod on the to do list was to convert the inlet to run dual pass, so stripped it all down

Standard lay out

Dual pass

Drilled hole for new pipe

And welded up ready

I've replaced all O rings so it's now all ready to fit
dewismotorsport

30th Jan 15 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got some time to work on the car, it's off the road at the moment as until the supercharger is fitted and working I don't have a daily car.

Quick strip down

Removed the front mount to fill with sikaflex

Replaced the middle CV joint on the equal length as it was knackered

Then fitted up the charger kit, had to move a few things as the loom came off a vectra, modded the battery tray and made a new bracket, modded the battery cables and added a relay and fuse for the charge cooler water pump, tried to tuck it all in as neat as possible. Just need to drill a hole in the bulkhead to route the wideband gauge wires and boost gauge vacuum.

Started to mod the cooling system, I've fitted the merc sprinter aircon fans using it's original housing, I've done this so when the car finally goes full time track car I will remove the aircon system completely, as the second fan can't fit due to the air con pipes, so once removed I will be able to bolt the second fan back on.

With it removed

And finally.......fitted the warning sticker

Hopefully get some time next week to work on it and finish it all off
dewismotorsport

2nd Feb 15 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Treated the car to some handling mods, adjustable rear ARB and a front ARB as I found under hard cornering on track there was quite a bit of body roll

dewismotorsport

4th Feb 15 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made the most of a Halfords onLine pricing error and bought 3 tubs of 5 litre trackday oil for a bargain £12 each normally £36 each. Also got some more hose and joiners and a gauge holder for the din tray.

Got a bit more done today, charge cooler pipework 90% done, not the prettiest but space is tight

Got the rads fitted and made brackets for the Spal fan

Charge cooler and catch tank mounted up with some new custom brackets

And finally, cut the old brackets off and made some new ones which mount it to the crash bar, also gave it a lick of paint so it can't be seen behind the bumper to keep it stealth.

chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Feb 15 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you doing in regards to your pcv?
Jed D

5th Feb 15 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great work mate, interesting thread this
dewismotorsport

5th Feb 15 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
What are you doing in regards to your pcv?

I've used Z20NET gasket to block the hole, so z20net gasket then CS thermal gasket then z20net gasket again

Cheers Jed
dewismotorsport

7th Feb 15 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine bay finish bar one vacuum for boost gauge, had to mod the catch tank again as bonnet web fouled on it

Took it for a quick blip
http://youtu.be/QJNy_6HuDBc
dewismotorsport

11th Feb 15 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well a slight step back, noticed the alternator pulley was getting bloody hot on just a quick idle run up and it wasn't kicking out any voltage, so decided to whip the rad back out to just double check the wiring

all wires were fine but did notice the alternator pulley was very shiney and worn, I knew it wasn't the greatest before but totally forgot to change the pulley while it was off, here's a picture of them side by side, I reckon this is the cause for the heat build up and lack of charging. I will get the alternator checked tomorrow just to be sure. Also didn't realise the one that's worn was a aluminium pulley and the replacement is a steal item and almost double the weight.

On a plus note I've fitted the walbro 255 pump in the housing

And also wired up the wideband AFR and boost gauge
dewismotorsport

12th Feb 15 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took the alternator apart and checked everything was ok, so fitted it back together and ran up and all is back to how it should be now, no more over heating pulley and a strong steady charge.

Last job was to add some more plates to the supertrap, I've gone up from 6 to 14, it will be mapped without it on as they will need the AFR probe up the exhaust no doubt, I'll drive it without and then start to remove plates until I notice a difference as the noise has gone up again

And my new racesuit has arrived, gone with Sparco sprint RS2 as its flame retardant and FIA approved so ready to race in, also matches my boots, gloves and helmet

Car is booked into Courtenay sport on Monday for the follow up map
chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Feb 15 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't fancy going the dutch software route then ?
dewismotorsport

13th Feb 15 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
you don't fancy going the dutch software route then ?

At the minute I just want it up and running, as doing bedford in it on 28th of feb so times short but in future it is a option yes. Can always sell my mapped Ecu on no worries

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 23 database queries in 0.1930070 seconds