corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
24th Mar 15 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of track prep prior to Cadwell was to remove the air con radiator to allow more air flow to the main radiator, hole sawed the bumper and trimmed the crash bar

Also bought myself a vx220 oil sandwich plate which will allow me to run a oil cooler, due to a delivery delay I wasn't able to fit it in time but will before my next track day.

Also got on a group buy and got a spanner made up for easy removal and fitting

At Cadwell park there was some serious cars and equally serious car trailers and campers, I litterally had this much ha ha

Had a great day there with only a warped rear disc and a downpipe gasket failing but not enough to ruin my day. My biggest problem was boiling the brake fluid after every session, I'm currently using ATE super racing blue but that's got to go and I'll be swapping to Motul RB600 or RB660

For a first time there I feel I did well, beating some of the bigger powered and spec'd time attack Astra coupes, best time I had recorded on the Harry's lap timer was

The cooling mod worked a treat and ran at least 10 degrees C cooler and I never once got the power cut kick in so I'm happy with that.

Looking at my rear tyre wear I desparatly need to add some rear camber as the insides of the tyre aren't getting any use as you can see from the grouping of the melted rubber

Video from the day, last lap was a battle with my friend nick in his throttle bodied and diffed clio
https://youtu.be/oBf8o2v__Ms
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Mar 15 at 15:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got some camber shims here. yours if you cover the postage
dewismotorsport

24th Mar 15 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
ive got some camber shims here. yours if you cover the postage

Cheers mate pm on route
dewismotorsport

26th Mar 15 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start on the fitting of the oil cooler, stole the cooler off the Corsa and modded the outlets on it to suit how I want it to fit on the coupe

Just need to make some mounting brackets once I've decided where I want it to sit.

Then cut up a spare pressure switch

Once in bits I cut and welded some tube on to suit the hose, also drilled out a M10 bolt and made a fitting for the sandwich plate, all Tig welded up and a quick lick paint

Fitted with new copper washer and pipe fits in nicely

Forgot to meantion on the pre trackday prep before Cadwell park I noticed the damper had developed a bad leak after bedford. But not having time to source new ones in between so just had to use them still, not ideal but lived with it. I've now ordered some top of the range Gaz Gold coilovers all round so will be able to fine tune the handling and corner weight the car better for improved handling.
dewismotorsport

31st Mar 15 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photos from Cadwell park 20/03/15

dewismotorsport

22nd Apr 15 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update time and I've been busy buying parts for it

Final pieces for the oil cooler set up, pressure valve and a couple of meters of hose

I decided I wanted to get some better brakes, so what happens when a Audi RS6 has a big smash.......

Well you buy the brakes of course! How does Brembo 8 pots with 365mm x 34mm 2 piece alloy centred discs with curved vain cooling sound!

Not gonna lie there massive, this picture I found shows it best

Compared to my old AP racing 4 pots they look monsterous

I'm getting custom brackets made as we speak, which will hopefully be ready in the next week or so. Just want to say a massive thanks to SLON for all his help and info as to how making them fit possible.

My mate Rob Twitchall helped out by working out the piston diameter force with goes from:

Coupe turbo caliper:
5100.93 mm2 per axle

To

Brembo 8 pot calipers:
11354.2 mm2 per axle

So almost double, the master cylinder size has also been worked out and will work just fine and the pedal modulation will be practically like standard.

To help balance the braking out I've bought brand new vectra vxr calipers and 290mm vented discs and I'll be using SLON's billet brackets, I've managed to buy DS2500 brake pads for the front, have to buy two sets of pads as each caliper holds 4 pads. I'm still trying to track down a sensible price DS2500 for the rear but cheapest I can find is £160.

The eagle eyed of you will notice I've also bought some forged Pistons with total seal piston rings, I'm yet undecided whether to use the total seal rings as I've heard many a bad thing about them, great compression but often cause oil issues which lead to a smoking engine.

And finally, I've bought some more R888's this time in 225/40/R18 as that is the minimum size wheel I can use with the brakes so I will be getting some more track wheels in the next few weeks hopefully
dewismotorsport

25th Apr 15 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Collected my new suspension today, got a very good deal on them through a friend in the trade. Went for the latest edition Gaz gold with 500lb front springs and 400lb rears. I also bought their spherical top mounts too. I will no doubt get some spare springs for road use so I don't loose all my fillings.
--ToM--

25th Apr 15 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shit the bed there big stoppers lol
dewismotorsport

25th Apr 15 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Shit the bed there big stoppers lol

yes they are
--ToM--

26th Apr 15 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will they fit under wheels lol
dewismotorsport

26th Apr 15 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Will they fit under wheels lol

Under the daily 19"s yes but defo not under current track 16"s so excuse to buy some new track wheels in 18"
Mieran

27th Apr 15 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WANT them golds
dewismotorsport

30th Apr 15 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mieran
WANT them golds

New design is very nice and looks mint in black
dewismotorsport

30th Apr 15 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Removed the old suspension, this was the leaking drivers side which is absolutely shagged (video)
http://s693.photobucket.com/user/dewismotorsport/media/591B5594-1933-47FF-965A-BD54FC1B779E_zpskcxdde5p.mp4.html

Fitted the new stuff, very nice fit and quality, I set them to lowest and worked back up to give myself an idea of travel and steering arm, driveshaft and lower arm angles

Solid spherical top mounts

Rears

The damper control is awesome, on softest setting its like standard softness right through to nigh on solid so will start about mid way on track and tweek from there. For road I'm gonna have it virtually softest as to have a nice ride.

Bought myself a strut brace which after a quick look will need some modifying to fit how I want

Few service items prior to track day, Gulf competition 15w50 oil to replace the halfords shit, really don't rate the halfords trackday oil, after just two track days it's black and smells burnt. Also got some platinum plugs, EBC yellow stuff pads for the vectra vxr rears (when I fit them) some brembo stickers for when I re paint the calipers, some motul RBF660 as I'm sick of boiling the ATE super racing blue and finally a inline electric fan switch which is adjustable, as my fan no longer kicks in so hoping just to bin off all the cooling module and loom.

dewismotorsport

5th May 15 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Borrowed my friends corner weighting scales so I could set the cars new suspension up, stripped the car as I would for a trackday, chucked the wet wheels on and got it on the scales

Weight without me in it

And after a fair bit of coilover adjusting I got a perfect 50% split through the cross axis

Front to back split looks good too

As does the side to side

Final weight figures with me in it

By doing this it helps the car feel more planted and handle better and be more balanced.
dewismotorsport

6th May 15 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stripped the front end down today as want to make a few changes

While apart I stripped the supercharger snout as the bearings were starting to grumble

Bearings replaced and new uprated coupler, and new fluid (you can see some of the old fluid in the yellow tub, that was replaced not long ago and was yellow)

Made a start on the oil cooler fitting, pressure valve fitted

Standard pressure switch removed and my fitting I made fitted, also fitted and sealed the sandwich plate and extended the pressure switch wire. All hose ends will have double jubilee clips to prevent any risk of popping off.

Oil and filter changed, air con pump and remaining pipe work removed, additional idler pulley removed and shorter belt fitted.
chris_uk
Premium Member

7th May 15 at 05:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any plans to change to a harrop?
dewismotorsport

8th May 15 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
Any plans to change to a harrop?

Probably not, I only want 300bhp out of it as that then keeps things sensible and not ridiculous cost wise. I chased power with the Corsa and had it at 450bhp but then turned it down to about 350-400bhp. I'll never say never but for now I want to make it handle and brake as best I can then power after
dewismotorsport

8th May 15 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Final bit of track day prep, made some brackets to fit the oil cooler and piped it up, also moved the charger cooler back and up a bit, and also gave it a lock of paint

Fitted the electronic fan switch and wired it up

By fitting the fan switch I no longer need the cooling module so I've removed it and the fan loom, no engine management light was bought on and my fan light has also now gone so happy days, drove up from Poole to coventry without any issues or lights. For now I've just left the loom from the ecu to the wheel arch but when I get more time I will remove that too

Gearbox fluid topped up, brakes and clutch bleed with the new RBF660 and finished off with doing the tracking, all done and ready to go to Blyton park on Sunday.
dewismotorsport

16th May 15 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a good weekend at Blyton park race circuit, started off with go karting on the Saturday evening followed by BBQ and beers, took the misses and two of the three kids along and they all enjoyed it especially the karting, misses was glad the helmet was too big and slipped down her head so she couldn't see while I took her out on the Sunday trackday

Only pictures I've seen so far which look like the early sessions where I was playing with suspension settings

Car was noticeably better on the new suspension and by the end I'd found a setting which worked fairly well but more fine tuning is needed, oil cooler was working well and helped keep temps at bay.

Biggest downfall of the day was in my hast to get rid of the old fluid I've dragged air into the system as the pedal kept going spongy and I spend most of the time bleeding the brakes. Also this is the first track which really highlighted it's need for a diff so that's on the cards soon.
AlexW

18th May 15 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Supercharger sounded epic as you came past me.

Car just gets more epic, good job!
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th May 15 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kinda laptimes were you doing?
dewismotorsport

22nd May 15 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
Supercharger sounded epic as you came past me.

Car just gets more epic, good job!

Cheers mate, everyone says it sounds good from the outside but I'm always on the inside
dewismotorsport

22nd May 15 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
What kinda laptimes were you doing?

Didn't get much seat time there due to the brakes but managed a 1.16
dewismotorsport

22nd May 15 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start on the brakes, bought some spray brake caliper paint and some new brembo stickers. Stripped the nipples out and sandblasted the pins and anti vibration plates.

All painted came out alright

Managed to buy a carbon bonnet for £51 off eBay, it's tired but it's off to my mates for a re spray in Europa blue so that's not a problem, not a big fan of the vent but it will allow some hot air out while out on track. It weighs 11.3kg so must be half the weight of the standard one which is a bonus.

Also bought a spare boot lid for £10 so I plan to gut the back out to lighten it and eventually add a large wing for track area, I'll make it so its interchangeable so can easily swap it out like the bonnet come track time. Standard boot lid weighs 13.2kg so will see how much weight I can remove from it.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 23 database queries in 0.1991911 seconds