corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
9th May 14 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
thats going to scream like a twat..

they are loud enough just left alone lol

Can supercharger or turbo noise ever be loud enough
dewismotorsport

14th May 14 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much of a update but been stock piling parts ready for the supercharger conversion, only part I don't have now is the belt

Bits:
2 x Z20NET inlet gasket
Thermal inlet gasket (was gonna make my own but got lazy)
Exhaust manifold gaskets
Bosch 2.5bar map sensor
2 x lambda bosses
Rocker cover seals
GM coolent
Water wetter
Chill charger
Exhaust bends and flexi
Cool running thermostat
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Balancer shaft chain kit
Slave cylinder
Noise supresser

Also tax was due at the end of the month so dug out the MOT certificate and it ran out on Jan 6th! ARSE! MOT booked for next day and after repairing a sticking handbrake cable it passed with flying colours
taylorboosh

14th May 14 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck me just read this - cool as fuck mate
dewismotorsport

14th May 14 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Fuck me just read this - cool as fuck mate

cheers mate
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th May 14 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what size belt do you need ?

i have a 1270 (5rib) here if you want it.
dewismotorsport

15th May 14 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
what size belt do you need ?

i have a 1270 (5rib) here if you want it.

I've not measured it yet mate been too busy but I'm keeping the air con so doubt a vx belt will fit, but cheers anyway
dewismotorsport

17th May 14 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a play with the car in the hope to get to the bottom of the lack of fan kicking in so checked all connectors and took the control module part to check for water ingress and burnt out circuits but couldn't find either so, decided to double check the CTS again and bridged the pins with some mig wire and the fan kicked in so turns out I got sold a faulty CTS after all

So bought myself another to try, not tested it yet but fingers crossed, also last few bits turned up, new air filter and managed to find the correct size pulley for sc conversion mount it's off a BMW E36 onwards so will replace the slightly damaged one on there

Have a track day at Oulton park on Tuesday and the weather isn't looking good so have decided to call on the coupe as back up track car to do me proud.

Swapped the wet tyres over from the Corsa wheels to the Astra wheels, looked shit silver so decided to give them a ghetto paint job

Before:

After:

Back seats stripped out and any unwanted crap removed and ready to go

All loaded up and ready for a thrashing
daine
Premium Member

17th May 14 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ha Ha Ha, Nice Ambulance as feather back up! hope nothing goes that wrong
dewismotorsport

17th May 14 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
Ha Ha Ha, Nice Ambulance as feather back up! hope nothing goes that wrong

Really bad day if I need that heap of crap
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th May 14 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a ford pulley from a focus which is perfect also.
dewismotorsport

18th May 14 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
There is a ford pulley from a focus which is perfect also.

Happy days cheers noted

[Edited on 18-05-2014 by dewismotorsport]

[Edited on 18-05-2014 by dewismotorsport]
dewismotorsport

21st May 14 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New CTS fitted and now fan kicks when it should so happy days but I do still get the warning light come on so not sure why that is?! Will plug it into opcom and see if that gives me any more clues.

Took a trip up to Oulton park on Monday for a track day on the Tuesday, plan was get there mid day ish and basically have a good few beers and enjoy the weather

As with most things got a bit carried away and we all got quite pissed but had a great laugh! Early start on the Tuesday but we were only 5 minutes from the track so made it easier with the hangover, got there and the heavens opened! Piss!

Early morning sessions were on the wets (rainsport 2's) and by late morning it had mostly dried out

Once track was dried out enough car was put onto the dry wheels (toyo R888's)

Car handled great but could do with stiffer springs and a rear anti roll bar which I will get sorted, engine is very under powered but if you kept the speed up and braked late you could pass much quicker cars.

Only problem of the day was I boiled the brake fluid once but a quick re bleed and it was fine and near the end of the day the alternator packed up so I will chuck the re bushed spare one on tomorrow.

Oulton park is a biblical track such good variation of corners with up hill and down hill sections too, highly recommend it to anyone, can't wait to go back.
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st May 14 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reccomend Gulf RF1000 brake fluid.
dewismotorsport

22nd May 14 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I reccomend Gulf RF1000 brake fluid.

Yeah the ATE racing blue that's in it is fine for 15 minute sessions but anything over is liable to start to max out it's operating temp. I'll keep that one in mine when I get some more mate cheers
dewismotorsport

22nd May 14 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turns out it had just spat a belt off, didn't even check as I knew I had no spares and just jumped straight in another car for a passenger ride. Spare belt fitted and all working fine so cheap fix.

Only non flagged video I have

http://youtu.be/yrahLff1nWY
dewismotorsport

5th Jun 14 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not got much done lately been too busy but still chipping away at it!

After what felt like forever I finally skimmed down the manifold flange flat, can't believe how badly warped it was no wonder it leaked badly on the previous owners car, never gonna get them hours of my life back but well worth doing the job properly

Finally came up with a belt wrap I was happy with, wasn't keen on the belt only glancing past the alternator and wanted it to wrap around all pulleys nicely, I had to re drill and grind down the mount to allow clearance for the to belt to pass each other at the front, removed 4mm from the mount and now have 2-3mm gap

Tried a 5PK1725 belt I had but isn't long enough even after changing the tensioner pulley for a smaller one so will order myself a 5PK1750 and see how that fits
chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Jun 14 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting mod.. R
dewismotorsport

19th Jun 14 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not had much time lately so have only done a tiny amount ;(

Made a bracket to hold the cooler pump, nothing exciting but does the job, also made a T piece for the pipe run I want to use

Also welded return pipes to the cooler and header tank, really not a fan of the welding on both, cooler can stay as is as it won't be seen but I will be making a bigger header tank at some point

My merc sprinter aircon rad fan pack turned up, was covered in oil but gave it a good clean up and tested and all works fine, I will see if they fit with the shroud if not will in bolt them and use them directly onto the rad as I want to try and get away with not cutting the gsi bumper, fans are 10 1/2" and are Spal so will flow plenty of air.
davegreen
Premium Member

20th Jun 14 at 05:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like your getting on well with the charger conversion, soon be in the weep club!
cant wait to get my corsa mapped.
is that an fai balancer chain kit you have? if so I would advise you return it and get a genuine gm kit as the fai ones are known to fail at low mileage, 30/40k. bolts shear, guides break up and tensioners pop.
ok on a standard car as a cheep fix but not for a tuned track car.
dewismotorsport

20th Jun 14 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
looks like your getting on well with the charger conversion, soon be in the weep club!
cant wait to get my corsa mapped.
is that an fai balancer chain kit you have? if so I would advise you return it and get a genuine gm kit as the fai ones are known to fail at low mileage, 30/40k. bolts shear, guides break up and tensioners pop.
ok on a standard car as a cheep fix but not for a tuned track car.

Very slow progress I just don't have the time

Yeah looking forward to finally getting it up and running, luckily mines already mapped but need to change the Ecu settings as my Ecu was off a vectra b and they use relays to control cooling where as Astra uses a cooling module

It is a FAI balancer kit, I did read your thread about bolt quality etc so I will re use GM bolts to be safe, the way I drive doubt the rest of the engine will last 30-40k as it's already on 120K, I'm gonna build a forged engine on the side as I doubt a standard engine will last long on track at 260-270bhp
davegreen
Premium Member

20th Jun 14 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't forget that the astra and Vectra have different throttle pedals, they don't work on each others ecu programs. Vectra is stepper motor where as astra is a double potentiometer type.
it wasn't just the bolts that failed on the fai kit I had, ive also since done some digging and found out there quite a few who have had trouble with fai kits failing!
dewismotorsport

21st Jun 14 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
don't forget that the astra and Vectra have different throttle pedals, they don't work on each others ecu programs. Vectra is stepper motor where as astra is a double potentiometer type.
it wasn't just the bolts that failed on the fai kit I had, ive also since done some digging and found out there quite a few who have had trouble with fai kits failing!

Ah right wasn't aware of that! At this rate I will just stick it on my Omex 600 and convert it to wire tb and be done
davegreen
Premium Member

21st Jun 14 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would be simpler on the omex once you sort the throttle body.
dewismotorsport

30th Jun 14 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a track day at Snetterton 300 coming up on the 7th July and the Corsa out of action I decided to try extract a few extra ponies out of it, made myself a 2.5" down pipe using the standard flange straight into a flexi, I've added a extra lambda boss for the wideband when it gets SC'd so I can keep a eye on the AFR's, fitted the corsa's old 100 cell HJS Motorsport cat. Once SC conversion is up and running I will get rid of the rest of the 2 1/4" exhaust and replace with all 2.5". After initial drive it certainly feels more responsive and has less engine breaking, only downside it's now noisier so a bit more chavy ;(
davegreen
Premium Member

30th Jun 14 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

makes a real difference the 2.5" down pipe to cat section. remember doing my Vectra
yours looks sweet

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 23 database queries in 0.2058270 seconds