corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
30th Mar 14 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Good project

Cheers mate normally just my daily
dewismotorsport

31st Mar 14 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided to strip down one of my spare dead engines, turned out the chain wasn't timed properly so had smashed all of the exhaust valves

Which in turn has smashed all of the rollers on that side

While I was in there I removed the balancer shafts and cut them down ready to be installed into my current engine when I next have it in bits
dewismotorsport

2nd Apr 14 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got round to digging out the HJS Motorsport 100 cell cat and welded some 3" to 2" reducers on so I can replace the standard cat, also bought a lambda cheater as well just in case it brings the EML on.

Also made some EGR valve blanks so I can remove it with the cheater I bought
Ojc

2nd Apr 14 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found my 2.2 lovely to drive on the motorway, just I was using it for round trip to work and it drank fuel
dewismotorsport

3rd Apr 14 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I found my 2.2 lovely to drive on the motorway, just I was using it for round trip to work and it drank fuel

Yeah there nice and smooth motors but like you say a little thirsty
dewismotorsport

3rd Apr 14 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New rear discs and pads turned up, a little over kill for the rear but any extra braking on track is always welcomed, and let's be honest no one ever said "my brakes are too good"

All fitted, pads were a pain in the arse as they didn't fit once the clips were on so had to file the ends to get them in and be able to move. Not good really for the price paid but have had to do it before on other performance pads but still annoying.
dewismotorsport

4th Apr 14 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well drive home to Coventry was eventful, half way home and the power steering stopped working and then slowly every light on the dash came on till eventually car was firing on 3 so chucked it in the nearest layby, the alternator had stopped working arse!

Car wouldn't restart as battery was too low, AA to the rescue with a jump pack to get it started, used the old trick of giving the alternator a good whack with a hammer and extention bar and it kicked back into life, so on my way I went, clearly the brushes are bunged up with crap as it's only about a year or so old as I fitted a re furbed so will get it back down to work and remove it and give it a strip down and re fresh, failing that I will chuck on a spare I have
dewismotorsport

7th Apr 14 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well played alternator roulette driving back from Coventry to Poole and I won!

So whipped the knackered one off and dug out one my spares

Knackered one on the right, re conned about a year to a year and half ago now a paper weight, the one on the left is a vectra b 100amp one, appears to have a slightly different pulley design but belt fitted so went with it anyway

All sorted and running fine, so decided to fit the EGR delete plates and cheater

New problem cropped up last night on way down, the wipers on intermittent no longer return to the park location but will on the next two clicks so may need to replace that now, also temp gauge is intermittent as well and not very accurate so need to work out why as the sensor is new and I've tried swapping it before with a known working one trying to cure my fan problem as that doesn't kick in. Need to work out what is up
dewismotorsport

8th Apr 14 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stripped the alternator to find the brushes are shagged doubt they were replaced for the refurb by the look of them

However my Chevy cobalt SS supercharger kit has arrived from the states so happy days!
dewismotorsport

9th Apr 14 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stripped a spare dead alternator and nicked the brushes out of it

And then re soldered them into the other one, all sorted and working a treat so have a decent spare now

dewismotorsport

10th Apr 14 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New supercharger kit, complete with cams, piper exhaust manifold and charge cooler kit
MatthewR

10th Apr 14 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus!!
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Apr 14 at 15:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try get an LSJ 68mm throttle body aswell as the duel pass mod on the intake manifold.

also, what size pulley is that?

also, ill have some VXR injectors for sale soon if your interested..

[Edited on 10-04-2014 by chris_uk]
carl roper

10th Apr 14 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So much for senisible daily

[Edited on 10-04-2014 by carl roper]
Jed D

10th Apr 14 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loving it
dewismotorsport

10th Apr 14 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
try get an LSJ 68mm throttle body aswell as the duel pass mod on the intake manifold.

also, what size pulley is that?

also, ill have some VXR injectors for sale soon if your interested..

[Edited on 10-04-2014 by chris_uk]

I will have to check on the size of this throttle body as not even sure what size it is yet, what's the dual pass mod? I'm new to all this at the minute. Unsure of pulley size also, basically this full kit is 260bhp ready pre mapped Ecu so just need to bolt it all on, so any additional mods will need re mapping for so not worth changing it yet.
dewismotorsport

10th Apr 14 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by carl roper
So much for senisible daily

[Edited on 10-04-2014 by carl roper]

Yeah a super charger is to me! It's sub 400bhp so still classed as sensible
dewismotorsport

30th Apr 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a good couple of hours on the car, managed to cure a few boggling problems, first being the fan no longer kicked in, I've tried the CTS in the past and doesn't seem to be the fault as I've replace with new and tried a known working one. Had a good poke round the wires and traced back and managed to spot the culprit (hopefully) the earth stud for the rad Ecu wasn't done up tight, to my knowledge I've never touched this but hey ho, tried to do it up and it sheared off.....minge! Luckily there was already a factory hole a inch or so away so just cleaned it all up and nut and bolted it back on.

Stripped the wiper motor down as it was sticking on return on intermittent found the end had burnt out/worn down

Decided after looking at the design it was plausible to just bend the end over, won't last forever but will last a while.

All back together and joints silicone greased, added a thicker washer to remove the play I had in the linkage at that end, rock solid now and all working as it should be

EML light came on the other day so read them off, not sure why the EGR valve is on as I have a cheater fitted and it all removed.
The other one relating to the throttle bodie I will keep an eye on as if it's faulty I'll replace it with one if my spares.

I've started cleaning up and checking all the parts for the supercharger conversion. I've re welded the Piper manifold that had cracked in varies places mainly due to the warped flange so when clamped down it's causing it stress which lead to cracks

Will be giving that a skim once I get some more sanding belts for the table sander, I've skimmed the down pipe flange ready though

Also mock fitted the charger kit on, just need to make a few spacers and get a longer belt and tensioner so I can include the air con pump
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Apr 14 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

size pulley is that?
dewismotorsport

30th Apr 14 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
size pulley is that?

Stage 1 so 3.2" I think mate
dewismotorsport

6th May 14 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slowly getting a drip feed of parts turning up ready for phase 1 of the supercharger conversion.
so far:
TTV billet flywheel
2 part epoxy resin (for mounts)
Lambda boss and bung (for wideband)
Supercharger oil

And also cleaned up a spare Z22SE clutch pressure plate and dug out a spare C20LET Helix 4 paddle friction plate (had over heating issues with standard clutch on last track day)

Lots more bits turning up before I can pull the engine out and change parts.

Also decided to clean up and paint a alloy rocker cover, had a spare can of high temp matt black, thought about body colour but from previous experience of hard use on track the normal paint just gets too hot and starts to flake off so went with the high temp stuff, will look good against the polished charger.

Also painted the oil filler cap as the yellow just looked crap on the black
dewismotorsport

7th May 14 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided I wanted to make the most out of the supercharger so gave it a quick port job, so stripped it partly down so I was just left with the outer cover

And a side by side for a kind of before and after to show what's been enlarged. I've also welded up the silencer holes so it's gonna scream like a bitch
M Sutton

8th May 14 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome!! Love the fact you do all the work yourself on both this and the Corsa. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
dewismotorsport

8th May 14 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M Sutton
Awesome!! Love the fact you do all the work yourself on both this and the Corsa. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Cheers mate, it's only nuts and bolts so if you know how it comes apart you can put it back together Couldn't afford to do it if I had to pay someone else. Should go well map is for 270bhp but will be silky smooth unlike the z20let power delivery
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th May 14 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats going to scream like a twat..

they are loud enough just left alone lol

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 23 database queries in 0.1181929 seconds