corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Pond project number 5 (yes, more fish!)

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pond project number 5 (yes, more fish!)
Ben G

User status: Offline
9th Nov 13 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably saw the fancy supercar on the driveeay and tried to make a mug of you. I'm sure a lot of tradesmen do that.
Gary
Premium Member

9th Nov 13 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your not wrong. They also tend to be too stupid to realise yo have a fancy motor because you don't go spending money willy nilly
Graham88

9th Nov 13 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say so too. I'd move it in all honesty for that simple fact, people think because you have fancy stuff you can throw money around for fun.
Nismo

10th Nov 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id have to agree, having that car on the drive will easily add 20/30/40%+ to the quote.

Cars portray such a bad image with things like that.
Simon

10th Nov 13 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

errrr do you not think that the big fucking fish tank with windows and koi carp in it may say just as much on it's own without the car?
Graham88

10th Nov 13 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say so, some people may have a nice car and a shit house cause all the money goes on the car.

Nice car/house/fish tank they're gonna scream 'quote + 25%'

I think so anyway
Lee_fr200

12th Nov 13 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon you should go buy a proper shitter for 100-200 quid then get more quotes and at least then they won't be ramping it up based on the supercar in the drive!
Ben G

12th Nov 13 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just park the car out of the way for the duration of them being there?
p

14th Dec 13 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Updates?
drunkenfool

15th Feb 14 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No updates at the moment, fish are basically hibernating until the spring and the weather has been too bad to do anything else to the garden! We are HOPING to get the marble paving done in the next 3 weeks before we have a party round here but it's not looking too hopeful at the moment lol.
drunkenfool

18th Apr 14 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No pics right now but the garden is mostly returfed (done last week) and the granite paving came today so that's our bank holiday project :-D pics to follow
drunkenfool

2nd May 14 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before starting

We found some turf going cheap at £1 a roll, but my mate's sister did her garden with 50p a roll stuff and it looked good as new within about six weeks so thought we'd give it a go too - we got two trolley loads for £30 and it was enough to do most of the garden

Garden rotavated and raked

Early morning delivery in time for last Bank Holiday weekend

The white granite paving

Getting the garden level (with a slight slop towards the drain)

Deciding how we wanted to lay the slabs. As usual, we decided to do it the difficult way and lay them diagonally but I am so glad that we did, even though it meant a lot more cutting and waste :-)

You can also see the dark grey slabs that we are using to edge the paving, and the concrete blocks in the cut out area are where the steps up to the stepping stones across the pond will go

[Edited on 02-05-2014 by drunkenfool]

drunkenfool

2nd May 14 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We started doing the ones along the front of the pond (just doing one thin strip of the dark grey ones) and I then noticed that the level of the pond was dropping quite quickly (about 2 inches in an hour) so knew that something was up. I spent ages scratching my head and looking for leaks, until I realised that the banging by the pond must have done something to the pipework underground, and after a bit of digging we found this;

drunkenfool

2nd May 14 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The joint had cracked underneath where the pipe below the water goes into that valve, and there's about 4' of water above that on the pond side so we were in a bit of trouble
Luckily my mate is a scuba instructor so he got his wetsuit on and got into the pond to try and plug the leak from the other side using a hosetail that we had spare, and a long length of hose to get it above the waterline.

We managed to stem most of the flow but it was still leaking, so (in the dark, too) I had to find a way to stop it leaking properly. I ended up cutting out a section of pipe and capping it with some neopreme that we had lying around, and held it on with a spare jubilee clip. Bodge job but it's holding for now until we get it sorted properly next week
drunkenfool

2nd May 14 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We then carried on the paving round the side of the conservatory up to where the main patio is

and cut the slabs for the edges

and that's about where we are with it at the moment. We've got enough tiles to do most of the patio area so hopefully we will get some more done over this bank holiday weekend.

We are also building the small retaining wall to edge the garden off properly, and that will eventually form the base of the raised decking over the filters, and then next step is to get the pond walls rendered.

Our elderly neighbours have also agreed to replace that back fence within the next few weeks, which should make a huge difference to the look of the garden as it's really bad at the moment
drunkenfool

22nd May 14 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is how the pond is looking as of yesterday, we just need to do the coping now and get the walls rendered :-)

Marc

22nd May 14 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris x

22nd May 14 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soooo cool that!

Got the pond all fixed?
drunkenfool

22nd May 14 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I got a 40mm pipe bung off eBay and sealed the hole from the pond side (yet again the scuba gear came in handy!) then replaced all the pipework , zero leaks now and the granite paving is back down again. This weekend we are hoping to finish either the paving over the old patio or the coping ready to get the pond rendered, I'll update it again when there's some more progress :-)
gooner_47

22nd May 14 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the windows in the side the grass didn't take too well?
drunkenfool

22nd May 14 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those strips right next to the pond were only bought on the weekend, also £1 specials. The rest of the garden has almost recovered now apart from a few patches where the dog wee had killed the grass, but we've just bought some of those dog rock things to go in their water bowls. We've also chucked in a box of patch magic, just in case, but still - we've done the whole garden so far for £38 so can't complain :-)
Graham88

23rd May 14 at 03:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks epic already, the finished product is going to be awesome!
random dav
Premium Member

24th May 14 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks ace. Dogs never been tempted to get in the pond? Ours is a pain for getting in our pool.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Ben G

24th May 14 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Size of those fish Stunning.
drunkenfool

27th May 14 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The dogs haven't been in there on purpose, but the lab loves sitting up on the wall watching the fish - he's fascinated by them

<<  5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll