corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Pond people

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pond people
paul.mitchell1984

User status: Offline
11th Sep 08 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

need a little advise

is ther anything that can stop all the sh&t settling int the bottom of pond that turbns into sluge silt stuff.

1st time weve cleaned out in approx 5yr maybe more, have the usual filters pumps etc going but always seems to settle n when it comes to cleaning it it smells worse than ...well i duno really

pond is approx 3ft deep, 6-8ft diameter

Ta
drunkenfool

12th Sep 08 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pomd design is the most important, have a base with the pump in the lowest place so the crap drifts towards it then gets taken out byu the filters. Obviously its too late for that now, so gotta look at alternatives.
You could get an airated retrofit bottom drain, the current caused by the air bubbles sucks more crap into the pump, and then gets filtered out. You're looking at around £80 for one of them, plus an adequate air pump to run it.
Have you got a UV clarifier? What pump/filtration system you using? You could also look at getting a sieve but they are fucking expensive.
Failing all those preventative measures, you could just get a pond vac and suck the crap out the bottom of the pond and purge it to waste.
Stu_22

12th Sep 08 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I did on my 3rd an final design was to slope everything to to the end of the pond then put a 2inch pipe down to the lowest point and have a sequence pump in a nearby shed suck it all up havent ever cleaned the pond out
drunkenfool

12th Sep 08 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats would be SO much work though for an existing pond, hence me suggesting a retrofitting bottom drain which is the next best thing.
http://allaboutkoi.co.uk/aerated-portable-bottom-dome-p-30071.html

paul.mitchell1984

13th Sep 08 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a family pond so not sure on equipment makes models etc.....basically we have removed all fish into storage, emptied the pong...garden wont need watering for some time..... then cleaned it all out approx 1- 2" in bottom, cleaned it all wiped it all down to get rid of as much greeen crap ass poss then filled it back in so that the liner didnt dry out too much

fingers crossed it wil help and i will suggest the above to him thanks
AndyKent

13th Sep 08 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We did the above with ours. Stayed clear for about a week, then the water went back to being just as green as it was before and all the stuff built up at the bottom again even with a larger pump/filter system running.

We've just left it, can't be arsed any more
drunkenfool

15th Sep 08 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UV Clarifiers make a big difference cos it breaks down the cell wall of the algae, wich makes is clump together enough to be filtered out more easily. I cant remember off the top of my head how many watts you need for how much volume of water, but I can find out if you are interested.
Cosmo

15th Sep 08 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot fo things you have to take into account here really...size of pond, number of fish, type of fish, type of food, amount of filter media, flow rate of the filter, etc. etc.

New Poll