corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Pond project number 5 (yes, more fish!)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pond project number 5 (yes, more fish!)
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
10th Jul 13 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically all my koi (from a previous pond build thread that I put up on here) are at my mum's still and have been for the past few years since I moved out. She's thinking about moving house in the near future so is keen to get the pond closed down and I don't have the spare cash at the moment so do the pond here after the house move, renovation, fish tank etc. so she's very kindly lending me the money temporarily to get the pond moved here so she can close the one down at her house. It means that the whole garden project might take a bit longer than I'd like, but the pond itself should be up and running within a month or so.
We are going for an L shaped pond roughly 3.6m on the long edge and 1.8m on the shorter edges, 1.2m below ground and 0.6m raised with a window, giving a total volume of around 17500 litres. We started the profect tonight so I thought I'd put up a few pics for anyone who may be interested :-)

Well here's a few pics from tonight, but not up to date as I managed to break the screen of my brand new S4! :-(

Before

Tight access, but managed to get it in after knocking down a small part of the wall.

Skip number 1

Decking broken up ready for excavation.

Some firewood for the winter!

My niece and nephews helping out after school :-)

We've done a good 5 hours of digging this evening after work and filled about 1/2 of the skip already. I'll try to get some more pictures tomorrow on my proper camera if I get time :-)
Haimsey
Premium Member

10th Jul 13 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a good project. I'll be following!

Look forward to the updates

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Jay

10th Jul 13 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be decent this
Simon

10th Jul 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Holy shit how much earth are you getting rid of to need that skip?! Not going to be raised this time? You transferring all the old equipment? Seem to remember there was a fair amount of effort and £ in the last one?
Graham88

11th Jul 13 at 02:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is going to be serious. Look forwards to progress
drunkenfool

11th Jul 13 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are excavating roughly 20 tons of earth, that skip can take a maximum of 16 (limited by weight not capacity, we can only fill it just over half full but it was the cheapest way of doing it other than a grab truck, but we don't want to damage the drive and access would have meant blocking the drive for a week or so with the pile of earth).

We got quite a lot done last night, working til about 10:30pm. Pipework is on order as well as a new UV clarifier, and after talking to the window company yesterday I think plans have changed from a 4' window to a 6' window as it was only £120 more an 50% bigger :-)

The pond will be about 4' below ground and 2' above ground. Here are the pics I just took this morning anyway!

Day one progress :-)

[Edited on 11-07-2013 by drunkenfool]
baza31

11th Jul 13 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you putting a tank in the hole? You sure that machine will dig 4ft? How come your using a grading bucket ? You certainly seem to love your fish
drunkenfool

11th Jul 13 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No not a tank, we are laying concrete an rebar foundations, hollow brick walls with rebar and concrete, then the whole thing will be lined with foam and fiberglassed. We are also putting in some floating stepping stones going across the pond from the raised decking down to the garage.
Not sure about the bucket, that was just the one that was on there when we got the digger! I take it the one without the prongs is better for soil then?
SXI - Matt

11th Jul 13 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any threads of your previous pond / ponds?
drunkenfool

11th Jul 13 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've had another productive night tonight and completely filled that skip so I will have to try and get another one here tomorrow so we can finish the hole! We've also changed the plans a bit re the filter placement - the Nexus 300 was going in the garage but we've decided now to dig a square hole for the L shaped pond, and have the filter in the corner of the L underneath the decking. It will make the bottom drain plumbing far easier, will save a hell of a lot of mess and digging in the garage and should make setting it all up a lot easier too with the running height etc. Pics tomorrow if I can
drunkenfool

11th Jul 13 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is one that I did at my mum's originally but this one was then extended above ground with windows etc., I;ll see if I can find some more pictures....

drunkenfool

11th Jul 13 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the one I did at the house at uni, pretty much when it was finished...
drunkenfool

11th Jul 13 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's a video of the one I did at my mum's, it's the best I can find at the moment;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ9b52WGF0c
p

12th Jul 13 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking forward to these updates
Haimsey
Premium Member

12th Jul 13 at 06:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a big hole Hopefully you won't find any bones but treasure would be nice.

Marcy Marc

drunkenfool

12th Jul 13 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the pics from last night - we rang the skip company at 8 and asked if they could take it away and give us a new skip and they said they would do the best they could to do it today, I really hope they come though otherwise we won't be able to do the base over the weekend! :-(

We are down to 4' in some places but a lot of the bottom still needs to be leveled and go a bit deeper too to leave space for the concrete base, but we are getting there!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Jul 13 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love how you do not fuck about Matt
drunkenfool

12th Jul 13 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The skip can't be collected now until tomorrow :'( Might have to do the rest of the cladding on the fish tank instead
BeetleGav

12th Jul 13 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love it! Your a mentalist!
drunkenfool

14th Jul 13 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skip number two now already 1/3 full, although it hardly looks like we've done any more work!

drunkenfool

15th Jul 13 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Second skip now completely full (it's only supposed to be 2/3 full due to the weight of the soil) and the hole is pretty much done. Just need to tidy up the edges a bit and dig another small hole to drop the main filter into, but that's the digging almost finished anyway :-)

The rebar and steel mesh for the base will be going in this evening or tomorrow, and the concrete will be poured on Wednesday.
drunkenfool

15th Jul 13 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rebar and mesh delivered. The hole has been tidied up and levelled and the mesh put in place on the base. We will be doing the rebar tomorrow and the concrete is coming on Wednesday afternoon :-)

Haimsey
Premium Member

15th Jul 13 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying along.

Keep up the good work

Marcy Marc

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

16th Jul 13 at 00:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hole looked tiny until the last pic
drunkenfool

16th Jul 13 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's hard to get an idea of scale but we've removed over 35 tons of soil!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll