corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  81    82    83    84    85    86    87  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Jun 15 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I have recall!

http://subaru.co.uk/news/subaru-recall-notice-impreza-models-2004-2007/

Nissan have the same problem. We have to replace an awful lot of airbag igniters.
Been an ongoing recall for a while now. So many cars and makes of cars are effected it's unreal.
First of all we had to check all the numbers on a excel program they sent us. Some were ok. Others weren't.
Then they suddenly sent us out a red recall saying everyone needs to be replaced. Even the ones we sent out as ok needed to come back to be replaced. Haha
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Jun 15 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should I be getting booked in then?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

15th Jun 15 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yerp

No car makers will quite explain the problem properly. They all tell there customers they just "over inflate"
Problem is they either don't go off. Or they literally just explode and take a chunk of your dashboard off with it.

Somehow the chemicals they used in them for the explosive seems to age like a fine wine
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Jun 15 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent another morning at BRW Performance today as it's MOT time!

MOT was an easy pass, but we had another look at the cam seal on the passenger side and it really is weeping a good un' now so we're going to get that sorted pretty soon.

Something Tim/Tweaks noticed was that I'm still running the OEM MAP sensor, which stops measuring at 1.55 bar. He plugged his gear into my car and we went for a few runs and my manifold pressure was peaking at 1.1 bar on some runs and 1.55 on others... so I've got inconsistent boosting and occasionally we're maxing out the sensor. For the sake of £50 or so I'm going to stick a 3bar sensor on and let Tim take a look at the map, but as for the inconsistent peak boost... new boost solonoid maybe? Needs some research.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

29th Jun 15 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surprising at this stage that considering the places its been for work, ie reputable places...still finding stuff like bottlenecks
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Jun 15 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've turned up loads of odd bits on the car tbh. There was the turbo gasket episode and the mysterious fuel cut issues when it was first mapped.

I'm now wondering if the warmer weather "fixed" my fuel cut issues by effectively reducing boost. During winter the OEM map sensor will likely be exceeding parameters much more frequently.

Feel confident that Tim can get me all up to speed and he's closer to home too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Jul 15 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ordered 2x exhaust cam seals, 2x inlet cam seals and the front crank seal - oh and a timing belt just incase, all for £75 delivered Subaru parts. Not too bad

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got round to something that's been bugging me for a while now.

Not sure if it was the front bumper respray or the FMIC fitting, but at somepoint a clip was broken on my front bumper causing it to look like this:

I get the feeling it was maybe wedged into place with something (that fell out) as I didn't notice it immediately.

Took the bumper off a few weeks ago to try and identify the issue, and spotted this:

That little lip is supposed to have a tab on it for the bumper lip to clip into. Asked round a few breakers' on Scoobynet and one came forward not even willing to charge me for postage - completely free of charge

Was raining outside so had to slum it inside the garage

Didn't take any "in progress" shots but that clip bolts to the crash structure just behind the headlamp. The nut/bolt that holds the corner of the bumper in place is quite awkward to get to, especially whilst holding everything into position but I got it just about right eventually:

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

6th Jul 15 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Free fix you're lucky. My bumper brackets cost £25 every time I break one
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Jul 15 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye free fixes always good

I was very lucky to get that one tbh, the breaker only had one in stock, and he had to pry it off of a rusted wing somewhere. Said they normally are broken by the time they get to him so they all go in the bin

Didn't even ask from Subaru as nearest dealer is best part of 40mins away

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Jul 15 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some stuff in the post today that was not free, but is still a welcome arrival. Will look to get this lot done sometime in the next few weeks:

One for old time sake:

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Jul 15 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Tweaks (the guy who sorted out my turbo gasket late that saturday night) has just got 533bhp out of a standard 2005 STI engine same as mine, with same capacity injectors as me and a massive rotated turbo.

His thoughts are that it's a disposable engine - he can build a proper one afterwards if/when it blows up (probably when )

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

20th Jul 15 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle, was chatting to Ian at Trax over the weekend about this - where did you get the metal bung for your boost leak detector? Could do with one for the missus' Leon, fairly sure there's a leak in those 100k old boost pipes and joints.
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Jul 15 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/End-cap-galvanised-steel-ducting-hydroponic-grow-room-ventilation-extractor-/400950359973?

Issue you might have are with any breathers that go back into the inlet, they would all need capping off too. I didn't have that issue as all my breathers now go to a catch-can.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

20th Jul 15 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Aug 15 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Busy few weeks for the car, but nothing overly exciting I'm afraid

It was my wedding day on Fri 31st, and on the wednesday before my "at the time" fiance decided she wanted the car dolling up for the drive home on the morning after the wedding. We didn't need a wedding car as such, as she was stopping at the venue the night before - and the whole event was in one place.

That day I had to meet a friend to get a final suit fitting done, so drove him home in the Impreza. On my way back, the car was feeling particularly lively (it seems to have inconsistent performance atm, sometimes feels really fast, other times not so... more on that later). Anyway, I was having a good blast around and through a fast right turn, I got fuel surge and the car cut out.... hmmm. I've had this loads of times on trackdays but not on my road tyres on a damp road...

I carried on home, keeping it off boost and just chilling out. Chucked it into a roundabout not massively fast - and again it cut out.

Two roundabouts later and I crept round it at 15mph... it cut out

This time it wouldn't start up and I was stuck half way up a bypass bridge with the hazards on, it now pissing it down outside.

Fuel gauge showed 1/4 and I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming when starting the car, so straight away thought fuse (it was the only thing I could check without going outside and getting wet). I popped the fuse box cover off near my knee, and found no fuses labelled fuel pump... No 3G so couldn't google either.

Got on the phone to the missus, who googled for me - the correct fuse was labelled as Air Bag...

I swapped the airbag fuse for the A/C fuse - and boom the car started. Pootled the home but it cut out again (but started) around a 10mph left hand bend...

Got it in the garage and went inside stressing, missus wanted it with ribbons and shit on in two days!

Decided the following morning to lift the fuel pump out and have a look, perhaps the filter sock had fallen out so the pickup for the fuel was above the 1/4 level of the fuel itself.

I got the pump out, to find the following:

The fuel return line had popped off the anti-surge box. This feeds excess fuel from the rails back into the mouth of the fuel pump ready to go around again. In itself this shouldn't have caused a problem, as the fuel would simply drip down into the tank anyway and eventually find its way back to the pump, but the rubber hose itself was fouling the depth gauge ball cock thing which meant my gauge was showing 1/4 and the tank was bone dry

Refitted it all properly, switched on the ignition:

Sure enough, gerry can later and all was fixed.

Fuse turned out to be a red herring, I guess I couldn't hear it priming because it was rather quiet whilst sucking up air - and the time I spent swapping fuses was enough for a little more fuel to drip down into the sock to allow me to limp home.

Upon cleaning the car for the wedding, I noticed a load of CV grease on the inside of the driver front wheel. GRRR. I'd get this sorted next week whilst on honeymoon.

That allowed the car to serve its wedding duties (this was the morning after, that's not how we dressed for the wedding )

I then dropped the car with Tim and my new friends at BRW Performance to sort that CV Boot and also take a look at my leaky cam seals.

Whilst I was away, they drained the coolant - lifted the radiator out and whipped the cam cover off. They found the cam seals to be bone dry, and evidentally it was the driver side rocker cover gaskets that were leaking. This is a PITA because the engine probably needs lifting to access it, the classics have just about enough access but the newages are so crammed in, grrr. On a brighter note, it's not THAT urgent as the oil isn't getting anywhere nasty, and I don't seem to be losing massive quantities.

It was however a useful excersise. The expensive cosworth kevlar belt I had fitted over winter had been touching one of the belt guides - to the point it had scraped most of the blue colouring off of the outside of the belt, which needed scraping off of the guide with a stanley knife... needless to say, this could have one day turned nasty, so I'm relieved it has been sorted now - but really annoyed it happened in the first place

It seems to be niggle after niggle after the work I got done over winter Patience is getting thin as a result of it, I need the car to be properly put back pretty soon so I can start trackdaying it again to bring some enjoyment back.

CV boot got sorted and Tim also had a look at my map. I think I posted about it before, but he feels my OEM MAP sensor is getting maxed out - so I supplied him with a 2bar MAP sensor to fit and map, but unfortunately his wideband isn't working currently and he's working with the manufacturor on a warranty replacement. As soon as he's back up and running, it's remap time with him. Hopefully that should see my car performing consistently, because right now it seems to have such a variance in performance.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

11th Aug 15 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet it was hilarious driving the Impreza to the wedding venue, I didn't see it parked up when I turned up.

Looking forward to seeing what Tim can do now that you have a higher reading MAP sensor, if it is indeed maxing out you could end up with a bit more power and more choo choo noises!
Ben G

11th Aug 15 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congratulations on the wedding mate.
CORSA NUT

12th Aug 15 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congratulations mate

On the car front though all my Scoobys (5!) Seemed to change performance on a daily basis. Apparently they are extremely sensitive to ambient temperature and also fuel grade. As you can imagine this isn't ideal as they both change so wildly

Who fitted that belt??
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Aug 15 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the congrats' dudes.

On the performance variance, it's so frustrating as at first I put it down to my imagination, then something magical changes and the car becomes a bit of a handful again - and in hindsight I can see how much slower it actually was.

It doesn't seem obviously temp related, but fuel grade I can never discount I suppose.

Tim has seen me maxing out the OEM MAP sensor, and he also thinks I'm running a bit too much timing too. I'm not sure exactly what that means ( ) but if the ECU is pulling back as a safety precaution at top end, perhaps that explains some of it.

Tim is very honest, he went out with me a few weeks ago and we did a few "pulls" on back lanes and they were just so inconsistent - and he was very vocal about it. When collecting my car the other week to sort the CV boot out etc, he commented again on how slow it felt... though perhaps his 530bhp classic is skewing his perspective

I'll see how it feels after the MAP sensor is sorted and map tweaked - then we'll take it from there.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

14th Aug 15 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congrats Kyle
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Brett

Update time...

Just before the wedding, KW had shipped out the other two compression adjuster knobs for me to swap out on my seized fronts.

I could have done it with the coilovers still on the car, but as I found with one of the rears it can be a real pain in the ass and I wanted to make sure I properly cleaned it all out - so off they came.

I made a few score marks in an attempt to retain some of the geo setup, as there are a million ways for me to mess up the settings at the front.

Once again, popped the seal out with a stanley knife blade and then the knob lifted right off - leaving behind the crust which prevented me from adjusting compression:

Cleaned out with brake cleaner and let it dry out properly.

Brand new knob waiting to go on, not before a smear of copper grease was applied to the underside to hopefully prevent it happening again.

Refitted the coilovers, whole thing probably took me two hours but most of that was cleaning all of the gravel out of my springs due to the bloody resurfacing round here :@

I seemed to have retained my geo settings at least a little bit, as the car drives fine - and doesn't do anything surprising when pushing on a bit, but it's definitely off in for a proper alignment before next trackday.

As for today, I decided to treat myself.

I've been wanting an AFR gauge for ages, it's probably the most valuable thing I should be monitoring on a tuned car but my issue was always dash real-estate. I also wanted to monitor water temp as the built in gauge is useless on these cars, but my car risked looking like something out of a Sean-B thread if I kept adding gauges.

With that in mind, I set off to do some research. My centre gauge pod can house three gauges fine and it doesn't look too bad, but I wanted to find some gauges that could potentially display multiple feeds of information.

That brought me onto the PLX range of gauges, and specifically the DM6 range. This was a concept of generic gauges, really small (52mm fitment rather than my current 60mm and only about 20mm depth vs around 50mm on current ones) which hooked into modules which can be daisy-chained.

The modules do all of the "computing" when it comes to alarms, peak readings, etc and are what allow the gauges to be so small.

The concept is that you can daisychain up to 16 modules together to a SINGLE gauge if you wanted to. Using the three touchscreen buttons on the gauge you can cycle through the (upto) 16 displays, but have warnings on each to allow them to flash up when their parameters are exceeded.

Obviously 16 readings on one 52mm gauge would be silly, but I'm looking to eventually deploy three with the following combinations:

Gauge 1: Oil Temp and Water Temp. Showing Oil Temp full-time and water temp flashing up on alarm.

Gauge 2: Boost Pressure and Oil Pressure. Showing Oil Pressure full-time and boost pressure flashing up on alarm

Gauge 3: AFR and Air Intake Temp, showing AFR full-time with air intake temp flashing up on alarm.

The really cool bit (geeky) is that even though the six modules would be connected to three gauges, the modules can still be daisychained together so you can setup intelligent alarms, stuff like:

Alarm if AFR exceeds 12.5 whilst boost is more than 20PSI. This is really useful because obviously AFR will spike whenever you lift off the gas or whatever, and you don't want it alarming willy-nilly.

Replacing all three of my gauges for 6 PLX sensors will be fairly expensive, so for now I've just bought the AFR Module/Gauge bundle. This was £150, but you can by a "module only" kit for £80ish. That will make my total proposed setup around £650, which is still cheaper than 3 Defi's...

My plan is to mount this AFR gauge temporarily, maybe on the A-Pillar. I'll then add one of the other modules I need at a later date which will allow me to retire one of my prosport gauges and stick the PLX one in the centre pod (though I'll need to fabricate a 60-52mm adapter). That's if this AFR one proves quality, reliable and accurate.

When powered up, the gauge can either display a simple number (ie 11.8 AFR) or it can display a miniature graph, or a peak/low summary page. It also has LED's around the circumference to act as a "green to red" scale of what's going on.

The AFR module also has a display option for battery voltage and O2 meter health.

I'm going to get this wired in sometime over the next few days (when I decide on how/where to mount the gauge) then will see if Tim @ BRW will weld a bung into my downpipe for me (original narrowband will remain). Then we can see about getting this map sensor swapped and car remapped

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*thread trivia, I used the "gauging interest" joke last time I fitted gauges to fool people into coming into the thread to find out why I was selling the car*

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bastard.. You got me!

Will you be putting all the gauges on the pillar?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah I'll retain a centre pod I think, just with these PLX 52mm instead of the current 60mm ones.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  81    82    83    84    85    86    87  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.1354520 seconds