corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  82    83    84    85    86    87    88  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
25th Aug 15 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how you getting on with it Kyle, do you find it the love still there or is the novelty wearing of at all, I keep loooking at them myself again and then I read the scoobynet forums and all the problems people have and remind myself why i got rid lol.

AFR gauge is a nice touch.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a rough year with it to be honest. Spent a shit load of money on it over the winter for the power upgrades, and I don't think the work has been done to the highest standards unfortunately.

Uncovered lots of little bits and pieces that have needed re-doing, so even more money spent.

On top of that, I've not done anywhere near as many trackdays as I hoped because the wedding costs just spiralled - and also we moved house which cost us more than expected too

Now however, I've got faith in Tim and BRW that my car will be looked after whilst there - and I've got a trackday booked for October. If Tim can get on top of my inconsistent performance issues, and the trackday goes without reliability drama - I'm sure I'll carry enough excitement through the winter ready for a good year next year.

My temptations away from this car are something light, low(er) power and RWD for a track toy - and then pick up a hot hatch or something for a daily. I'm detirmined to get a full summer of enjoyment out of this car first though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

25th Aug 15 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vx220!!

You know you want one!!
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Aug 15 at 07:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
Vx220!!

You know you want one!!

Funny you should say that...

A Grey one appeared in the work carpark yesterday with a TA style diffuser, AP calipers, track-ready tyres and some other bits and pieces. It looked great.

Had tan inserts on the seats too, looked really nice.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

28th Aug 15 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gauge setup looks nice mate
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Aug 15 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers dude, got my first ever NIP for speeding

83mph on the M180, about 30feet behind a friend doing 82mph in his Evo

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

28th Aug 15 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photo?
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Aug 15 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately not, only had the NIP so far - not sure what punishment is yet. Never had to do this before so don't know the process

At least we can car share if it's a speed awareness course

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

29th Aug 15 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 points and fine or speed awareness, minor, wouldnt worry about it at all
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Aug 15 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
3 points and fine or speed awareness, minor, wouldnt worry about it at all

Aye not worried, mainly relieved that they didn't catch me 15mins earlier when coming off the slip road...

I've not done anything with that gauge yet, mainly because I've been lazy - but also because I chose to spend my spare time this weekend cleaning the car instead It's had a full clean, strip, clay, machine polish (only a finishing pad) and then resealed. These road resurfacings round here have made a bit of a mess Tar took me hours to get off properly and worse than that I've picked up a few nasty stone trips. Eh well.

I decided to use an hour or so tonight scouting out my next set of DIY. I plan to move my battery and washer bottle to my boot. Not for any weight distribution negligable gains but to give back a bit of access in the engine bay (for the rocker cover gasket I need to swap soon) and more importantly to make way for more hardware. (Swirlpot?)

My car came from the factory with an intercooler water spray which is fired off manually by a button on the dash. This setup has been redundant since I went FMIC because I didn't bother extending the hose to the front... as it's really not needed.

I decided to see what it would take to utilise the IC spray setup to power my washer jets instead. The hose swap would be easy as they all come together under the bonnet in a clip, so I would just have to pop off the hoses from their Tee's and swap them over.

The wiring as I found would also appear straight forward, the pumps on the bottles are identical as are the plugs - so I could extend the wiring from the engine bay to the pump at the back, re-using the plug and retaining the standard stalk control for washer jets instead of IC spray button (which wouldn't fire off the wipers).

I did a couple of tests:

1) Swapped hoses and did a test run with the IC spray button. Pressure wasn't high enough and the water only reached half range

2) Swapped Washer Bottle and pump to the boot and used the IS spray wiring, to see if the pump was more powerful. Same result.

3) Made up 2x extension wires and ran them to the back externally, same result (I didn't expect otherwise, just wanted to check my soldering on my extensions and original plug).

So it seems the boot is too far away for the pump to have adequate pressure. My washer jets may be to blame, as I swapped out for mist style ones which perhaps release too much water to retain pressure. Can't find originals though to swap back.

Not sure there's anything I can do electronically, unless replacement (more powerful) fitment pumps are available. It's a shame, as it would be a very convenient mod.

Back to the drawing board, but I welcome suggestions.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Sep 15 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over the last few days I've been building up to the AFR gauge install, so thought I'd save it all for one update end to end.

Tuesday:
I got home from work and decided to be productive, as this gauge wasn't going to install itself. First task was to scout out a suitable location for the control unit, it needed to be accessible and also needs to have space for the addition of further units in the future.

I eventually settled on the inside of the glovebox, attaching the control unit to the "ceiling" of the box. In this position it wouldn't foul the door opening and closing, still allows me to store stuff in there and also the unit is accessible.

I whipped the glovebox out and cut some holes for running the cables. Obviously I tidied those holes up, just don't have a photo... honest

IMAG0024 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

I then ran the power wires for the unit up to the place where my current gauges are, and tapped off their power.

Final job was to run the wideband cable from the engine bay (cable tied to the strut brace for now) to the glovebox area. I reused the grommit that I used for my amp power cable.

I couldn't fit the gauge itself on tuesday, as the pod hadn't arrived yet, so the glovebox would spend a few days out of the car.

Wednesday:
Got in touch with a local fabricating company who said they could weld my wideband bung onto my downpipe on Friday.

Thursday:
Still no gauge pod, but decided to push on anyway. I'd booked Friday off work to get the welding sorted so I decided to spend thursday night getting the downpipe off the car.

First thing off is the heatshield, 3 10mm bolts.
IMAG0032 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

ta-daaaa

IMAG0033 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr
Downpipe is 5x 14mm nuts at one end (three are with studs, two with bolts) and then a couple of 17mm nuts/bolts where it joins to the centre section.

4 of the 5 turbo end bolts are accessible from the top, but the last one you need to go under for. It's a right pig, and you need to get quite inventive with extensions and bendy bits

IMAG0036 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Whilst taking that photo I fumbled about with my phone and switched it to selfie mode somehow. When in Rome

IMAG0034 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Downpipe off:
IMAG0037 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Wrap looked in pretty good condition, it's been on there a couple of years now. It just crumbled away though when I tried to peel it off.

IMAG0038 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Whilst the car was incapacitated, I also decided to remove some of my intercooler pipes and repaint them. When I did them grey, I didn't really get the lacquer right and as a result they never looked/felt shiney.

I drove a very poorly (but also very funny) sounding subaru out of the garage to setup the paintshop

IMAG0040 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Friday:
For £20 I got the boss welded on:

IMAG0044 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

I had a bit of downtime because I needed the following:

Downpipe gaskets
Heat Wrap (due to arrive any day now...)
Gauge Pod (Still not here!!!!)

So I took a few bits off the engine bay for painting, only thing i really pictured was the turbo heatshield which got done with VHT Silver.

IMAG0045 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

IMAG0046 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Also did various brackets that were showing rust/pitting such as clutch master cylinder bracket and throttle cable bracket etc.

Saturday:
Helped my Auntie and Uncle move house, but they were moving within 10mins of a Subaru dealership so I snuck off to get my gaskets.

IMAG0050 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

As it happens, I bought the wrong one for the "tail end" of the downpipe. It should have been more oval shaped... oh well, I'll settle for some silicone gasket maker for now and re-do that later.

Got home Saturday night to find a delivery note, my heatwrap was next door Popped to see the neighbour to find they'd been keeping my gauge pod since wednesday

Sunday (today):
The day it was all due to come together!

First job was to offer the downpipe back up to the turbo to make sure my carefully measured boss placement didn't foul the gearbox dipstick or the brake lines. Winner, perfectly placed.

I then whipped it off and got it wrapped again.

IMAG0051 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

I had a bit of downtime until Simon_16v came round with his silicone gasket stuff, so I got on with some odd jobs - firstly ripping out my amp and wiring, it's a racecar now.

I also took a dremel to my HVAC panel so that my wire for the phone holder could fit in properly...
IMAG0058 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

IMAG0059 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Once I got the silicone stuff, downpipe was refitted and freshly painted IC pipes reinstalled.

IMAG0053 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

IMAG0054 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Ran the pod wiring round the back of the dash, and pulled out the remainder of the amp wiring...
IMAG0055 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Connected up the control unit:

IMAG0057 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

...and voila! AFR gauge

IMAG0061 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

[Edited on 15-09-2015 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

13th Sep 15 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics dont work for me
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Sep 15 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bugger, work on my phone. Will check on PC shortly!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Sep 15 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How's that?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

13th Sep 15 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All there for me! Looks good Kyle, decent bit of work.
chris_uk
Premium Member

13th Sep 15 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still nothing for me... i just get a grey no entry sign.
Simon_16v

14th Sep 15 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
still nothing for me... i just get a grey no entry sign.

Same
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Sep 15 at 08:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder if Google have changed something with permissions. I wonder if Tom was signed into a google account on his browser when he checked, so his works?

I'll reupload with somebody else tonight.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Sep 15 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photobucket
Simon_16v

14th Sep 15 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Photobucket

Flickr if you appreciate some quality left in your photos
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Sep 15 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it work now?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

15th Sep 15 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, loving the selfie
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

15th Sep 15 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I wonder if Tom was signed into a google account on his browser when he checked, so his works?

CORSA NUT

15th Sep 15 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame on you....not painting the heatshield bolts before refitting
3CorsaMeal

16th Sep 15 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What wrap did you use on down pipe? I just fitted a downpipe and didn't bother to wrap it and the standard heat shields wouldn't fit.

Start to wonder if i may regret skipping out the wrapping

<<  82    83    84    85    86    87    88  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.1282222 seconds