corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  79    80    81    82    83    84    85  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
AK

User status: Offline
11th May 15 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Impreza exhaust gaskets are always going.... on ours anyway.

I found a leaky head-manifold gasket this weekend and the added bonus of a threaded stud. So now needs the head helicoiled
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th May 15 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My heads have also had some assistance by silicone sealer by the looks of it.

Surely if all these pre-turbo gaskets are going, it means the car demands a bigger turbo?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

11th May 15 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

400bhp is a nice reliable number.....

stick there
CORSA NUT

11th May 15 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What an awesome read lads sound like mates for life
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th May 15 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
What an awesome read lads sound like mates for life

Cheers man. Yeah I'm going to have a word with Tim later this week.

If he's happy to spend a few more evenings/weekends with me - I can see this being an ongoing relationship. I'll happily pay may way, but having the opportunity to join in with the work whilst having a wealth of knowledge (and tools) to fall back on is perfect for me. Will help me learn and build confidence without fucking the car up

If my Turbo had to come off again this weekend, I'd be pretty happy taking it on myself.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

12th May 15 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good man I've always looked at turbos and been like at the studs etc

Would love to work in a jap car garage like that
Sean-B

14th May 15 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Japfest?
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th May 15 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Japfest for me this time round unfortunately, was running the car at Elvington yesterday and had something pre-arranged for today.

As for Elvington yesterday, what a day!

It was the JGM (Jolly Green Monster, AKA Simon Roe) Memorial day.

Simon passed away towards the end of 2014 and was one of the big name mappers in the Subaru scene (and possibly others). I never met the bloke or had him work on my car, but what excuse could I have for not making a contribution and getting some different fun out of the car at the same time.

Format was a pretty much class-less 1/4mile and handling course shoot-out from what I could gather, though I must admit it wasn't published very well You pretty much paid up, turned up and queued for either the 1/4mile or handling course - so I dabbled in both.

Started out on the 1/4mile. I had no idea what to expect from myself or the car as I've never really followed 1/4mile times that much. My first couple of runs were 13.02 and 12.5, so I set myself a target of low 12s.

As it happened, I never really got quicker than 12.4. I'm sure the car has got some more in it, maybe if I played around with tyre pressures or something. Other stats from the quickest run are:

106mph
1.7sec 60ft

I didn't actually realise till' later in the day that the clock didn't start running until you cross the line, so I was booting it from the green light without preparing my launch very well

Over to the handling course, I couldn't launch for shit. Don't know what it was, but I was fine on the 1/4mile.

As the start line wasn't rubbered in at all, I wonder if it was a momentary loss of traction causing it to then bog down. I eventually got the hang of it by letting the clutch slip a bit then dropping it.

My best time here was 26.7 I think, 15th overall but no idea how many cars actually entered Specs ranged from a Peugeot 205 to 700+ BHP cars, and included a gorgeous 2014 911 GT3 which was taking a pounding.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, very different to a trackday and did very little mileage in comparison to a trackday. I'd brimmed the tank en route and took a jerry can, and barely got below 2/3 of a tank in the whole day! That's probably worth .5 sec on the quarter mile right there

Some videos:

Me thinking I'd beaten Joe in his recently built Type RA. Turns out I never had him, I never had his car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH7VR2Zrzo8

Speedo view, this run was around 12.5 I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLvON8lmuU

Handling course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZaBPHfF6ro

Some Pics

Simon Roe's Car

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th May 15 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
boylers11

16th May 15 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car look, sounds and goes great! Looks like a fun trip out.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th May 15 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers man, was brilliant.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

17th May 15 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a good day out.

God knows how you saw anything on the handling course I can just about make out the cones on the video. They're tiny!
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th May 15 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was really nervous about that Ben, I'd seen videos from TOTB and stuff like that and I had no idea where the course was

The sighting lap was enough to pretty much figure it out though, though a few cars did get very lost on that tight twisty bit at the end

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AlexW

18th May 15 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going back a page.

I did blyton, really enjoyed it, found it was very suited to my Clio.

Sounds like Tim is a friend for life, I do find the best bonding and car times are late night, in a workshop with some good mates.

That day sounds brilliant fun too!
3CorsaMeal

18th May 15 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speedo video is cool

Pretty fast
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st May 15 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Casualty of war?

Turbo inlet hose torn right around its circumference.

Got a Group N silicone one on the way, I'd like a solid one really which I might be able to get made up based on the measurements of my OEM one, but I need one in a hurry so this will do for now.

It's got none of the nipples for breather returns as I've got a catch can and they're all blanked off anyway.

Will probably have to destroy the OEM solid one to get it out without removing the inlet manifold (PITA), but the new silicone one will hopefully slip in with a bit of lube.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 15 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My new pipe hasn't arrived yet, but I wanted to rip the other one out whilst I had time and a nice sunny day.

As expected I had to hacksaw a few of the nubbins off, but thanks to a hacksaw pretty much built for purpose I got them off without too much trouble.

Wrangled the old pipe off, and saw the full extent of the damage at the neck, and saw how degraded it is on the inside due to the oil residue of the old breather setup.

Seems I've got pretty much a clear run through for the new one though when it arrives. Hope it's not too awkward

I did spot a mystery plug though just dangling around...

Any ideas?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

23rd May 15 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 prong? Can only be something like a thermostat/temp sensor? Maybe oil level?

That hose looks absolutely spannered
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th May 15 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
2 prong? Can only be something like a thermostat/temp sensor? Maybe oil level?

That hose looks absolutely spannered

Seems it's from one of those carbon canister things to help emissions. My car hasn't had one of those as long as I've had it!

Moving on, with my car awaiting the replacement intake hose - I decided to do something constructive and finally do something about the FMIC pipework. I really don't like the polished look on such a large scale, so headed off to halfords for some rattle cans.

Pipes out first, other than sticking a hand in the wheel arch lining and scrabbling under the car for a few minutes - it wasn't too difficult:

I masked the ends up just in case the paint stopped the silicone joiners from sealing properly... probably pointless.

Primered up:

Top coat was Audi Quartz Grey. I wanted Vauxhall Smoke Grey but they only had one can left, and I (rightly) assumed I'd need two.

Before:

After:

I think it looks much better.

Finally my intake hose replacement arrived:

Getting it in was harder than expected, it's much stiffer than the factory one at the turbo end and I had to loop some string around it and really wrangle it into position, eventually though it was on - and everything put back together:

[Edited on 29-05-2015 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

29th May 15 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good update
Ben G

29th May 15 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great. Strut brace needs painting now.
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th May 15 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Didn't think of that

Engine bay still looks so shit with the gaping hole where the AC was and I still prefer the aesthetics of the topmount intercooler.

Eh well.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

29th May 15 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pipes look loads better mate spot on that
Brett
Premium Member

29th May 15 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can only keep repeating myself in this thread tbh mate, very nice indeed, well done
neil h

29th May 15 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Didn't think of that

Engine bay still looks so shit with the gaping hole where the AC was and I still prefer the aesthetics of the topmount intercooler.

Eh well.

Reverse throttle body kit and an external oil cooler are your friend.

<<  79    80    81    82    83    84    85  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.2116511 seconds