corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  83    84    85    86    87    88  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Sep 15 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Shame on you....not painting the heatshield bolts before refitting

I feel it adds a nice contrast to the fresh looking heatshield

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
What wrap did you use on down pipe? I just fitted a downpipe and didn't bother to wrap it and the standard heat shields wouldn't fit.

Start to wonder if i may regret skipping out the wrapping

I used DEI stuff last time which is about £55 a roll. (used 3/4 of a roll on the downpipe). This time I needed something next day, so paid £35 for a roll of the only stuff listed on Amazon Prime. It looks/feels identical to DEI.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NOPQMTG?ref_=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

16th Sep 15 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Shame on you....not painting the heatshield bolts before refitting

I feel it adds a nice contrast to the fresh looking heatshield

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

16th Sep 15 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What wrap did you use on down pipe? I just fitted a downpipe and didn't bother to wrap it and the standard heat shields wouldn't fit.

If you have the money get it Camcoated or Zircotec'd
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Sep 15 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:

If you have the money get it Camcoated or Zircotec'd

I want all my stuff Zircotec'ing so bad, but man it's expensive.

My exhaust manifold needs doing very soon, I bought it 2nd hand and was pre-wrapped in some cheap crap which is all flaking off now with massive exposed sections. If the internet is to be believed, that will lead to hotspots and cracked manifolds.

Due to having a 3bolt flange connection to the up-pipe, from what I can gather laid on the garage floor removing my manifold without taking the up-pipe with it will be a massive pain in the ass, and the only way of taking it off with the UP is to take the turbo off again... fuck that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Sep 15 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if I mentioned this on the AFR post, but whilst under the car last week I noticed a bit of condensation making its way onto the up-pipe and then dripping down to the exhaust manifold. I suspected the manifold to uppipe gasket, but within seconds of the car starting up the pipes get so warm that the evidence just evaporates away!

Today I wanted to raise my rear ride height up a smidge (about 10mm) in time for my geo alignment setup that's booked for Monday. Whilst the car was on stands, I changed the oil.

Whilst changing the oil, I decided to investigate my suspect uppipe leak - so while all the pipes were cold, I got into position and got the car started. I could immediately feel blowing from one of the three bolts, of course the one hardest to access.

The heatwrap on the exhaust manifold was a right mess, cheap old stuff and was flaking off everywhere blocking vision and access - so I ripped it all off whilst the manifold was still on the car.

From here, I laid and spent ages with all sorts of spanner, socket and bendy extension combinations and couldn't get to the hard to reach nut and bolt. It sits about an inch from the head, and is blocked off from all sides by manifold.

I eventually found a flap of plastic in the drivers' wheelarch liner that allowed me to reach a pair of spanners through - hurray! I got a good few turns and saw the gasket visibly nip tighter.

I'll get some (more!) gaskets ordered and look to swap this all out properly in the next week or so. Will take the opportunity to heat wrap the manifold too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Sep 15 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took car to Track Torque on monday to have my geo all checked up on. As I'd had all my struts off to replace the KW adjusters, I assumed it would be miles off ... but wasn't that bad.

Front Camber was at -2'12 and -2'06. Somehow my Toe was well out though, which is odd because removing the struts and refitting couldn't/shouldn't cause that,

Anyway, had a long chat with the mechanic who would be tweaking my setup and we decided to add even more negative camber at the front with a bit more toe out.

It was pissing down with rain so didn't really get to "try it out" immediately, but went for a run out when it was drying a bit to find it felt excellent, but can't be more descriptive until I get a good run round somewhere like Blyton.

Obligatory pics...

IMAG0075 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Checking out the corner weight...

IMAG0081 by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Exactly 50:50 down the middle without driver (I usually have a passenger anyway) and 60.2/39.8 front to back... not too shabby.

Fat bitch is 1431KG total though

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

23rd Sep 15 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant you double gasket the up-pipe?

cars pretty hefty, time to strip it
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Sep 15 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
cant you double gasket the up-pipe?

cars pretty hefty, time to strip it

I'm sat now with all the new gaskets in my hands ready to brave the garage and get them swapped out. I'll inspect the up-pipe gasket and if it looks like a healthy genuine one, I may well double up - but I'm expecting to find something cheap and/or damaged.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Sep 15 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(trying google photos again, Flickr doing my head in - let me know if it works or not please)

What a bastard of a job that was

Goal: Take exhaust manifold off, wrap it, refit with new gaskets, looking for evidence of blowing on the manifold to uppipe gasket.

First up, little look at what we've got.

New Gaskets:

A Sooty uppipe flange:

Bit of silicone looking sealant seeping out:

I talked to Alyn @ AS Performance who supplied the gaskets about whether I should be suplementing them with some sealant and he advised strongly against it, obviously all this stuff is upstream of the turbo so anything that breaks away inside the exhause has to go through the turbo

When I supplied the manifold, uppipe and turbo over last winter for fitment - it was all loosely bolted together with old knackered gaskets. I get the feeling all these gaskets were recycled when the install was carried out I wonder if they slapped sealant on "just to make sure"

Anyway, sure enough - a break in the uppipe gasket. Ding ding ding.

Next up was to start wrapping, my god this manifold is a fucking pig to wrap - took me hours

I had two 10m rolls of 50mm wrap, this was after the first wrap was finished... so cup of tea time.

And just about done some hours later:

Now it was back under the car to clean all the gunk from the heads, took a while but eventually got there - hands far too mucky to take photos at this stage.

Refitting the manifold was a right fanny too, pretty sure I invented some new swearwords whilst trying to get this fitted. It's bloody heavy, i'm laid under the car with only inches of clearance and I'm rubbing shards of glass from the wrap into my skin all over the place Eventually got it over the studs and a couple of nuts in place to hold it whilst I lined up the uppipe gasket.

Took a while to get it all fitted properly due to clearance and access on some of the bolts but got there eventually. Torqued it up to spec (not as tight as I expected) and then fired the car up for a preliminary leak test.

So far so good, none of the joints/flanges were leaking on idle.

Got my 18's back on the car (17's were on during alignment day) and then had a bath. I'm still itching like fuck everywhere

Test drive was epic, car feels like it's boosting like never before. Triggered my boost gauge peak warning a few times(set to 25psi) and checking the peak later showed it was hitting 26. It's spooling up so quickly too, really feels nice to drive

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Oct 15 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Attended my first track day in what felt like ages yesterday, Blyton yet again.

Weather was really good to us, as it always seems to be at Blyton - so good opportunity to put the car back to the test after a few shakey months performance/reliability wise.

Morning was frustrating, car felt really boaty in the corners and I was struggling to get the tyre pressures right. This wasn't helped by the fact I was blowing intercooler pipes off reliably 2 laps into a session.

Eventually managed that issue by digging some extra clamps out of my toolbox.

A friend arrived around lunchtime for some passenger rides, and things started looking up after that. For the very first time since fitting the KW suspension I made some adjustments, based on a long chat I had with the geo guy at Track-Torque a few weeks ago.

Bear in mind that my experience with adjustable suspension was limited only to a set of BC Coilovers I had and hated previously, in which THIRTY TWO clicks of adjustment seemed to make no difference when going pole to pole.

With these KWs however, the difference of just a single click (of 12 available) was massive. The car seemed to come alive after stiffening it up a bit, the rear more so than the front to try and stop the car from leaning backwards under power (and hence reducing understeer, hopefully).

Another issue I had was turbo related. On the stock turbo for this car, I could take a particular couple of corners in 4th and be right in the boost, so a little oversteer could help push me around. With this turbo, the spool comes on later and this was more difficult. I offset this by lowering my entry speed slightly and going through in 3rd gear - which meant some nice slidey moments but nothing too lairy, and a net gain of big chunks of laptime.

I always used to read advice from people saying "don't go for top end power, go for spool time" on turbos - and in hindsight I wish I chose a different turbo, despite the almost 80bhp increase in power from my old spec - I only ended the day about a second quicker than my previous best.

The car DOES have lots more to give though, and I was out of practise.

Took a video of my quickest lap, my sector times easily had a 1min 13 in them and I think a 1.12 isn't out of reach - even with me at the wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hc6X-gnw2o

Niggles from the day:

1: Intercooler hoses popping off, need a more robust solution

In other news, my RWD/Mid Engine itch is getting worse and worse. Car might have to make way for a new toy next year, but we'll see how I feel over winter

[Edited on 17-12-2015 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Oct 15 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Convert to RWD sorted
BarnshaW

11th Oct 15 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting stuff, I swapped my APS SR40 turbo which is rated 420bhp to a SC38 billet and it made the car infinitely better and more driveable, was constantly having to be above 4k rpm previously to get good pickup, with the billet it was making 1bar by around 2800rpm , great fun.
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Oct 15 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SC38 would have been perfect for me, but they're expensive. Even after the Billet conversion, the 20G was still half the cost of an SC38.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Oct 15 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Convert to RWD sorted

Engine still in the wrong place

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

11th Oct 15 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

much cheaper alternatives matey, think andy forest does a 18g billet unit for around a grand
Wrighty

11th Oct 15 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you will fill your catch can much faster on hard starts and cornering.

Mikalor clamps all around for your intercooler piping
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Oct 15 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
Yeah you will fill your catch can much faster on hard starts and cornering.

Mikalor clamps all around for your intercooler piping

Never had the issue before though, and already have Mikalors - £7 a pop and they're still popping off.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
gazza808

12th Oct 15 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next time they pop off give them a good clean and fit with a spray of hair spray as well, cheapest possible stuff
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Oct 15 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did use hairspray last time, but it was scented - maybe that's the problem

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

21st Oct 15 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happy days. Cadwell 22nd?
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Oct 15 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's 21st No? I've got plans for the evening of the 21st, but I'm still considering it...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Oct 15 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless I have a severe change of heart in the next few weeks, I think I'll be listing the Impreza up for sale!

I'm going to aim to buy something else as a dedicated track/weekend car for early next year, with something else to get me to work and back - instead of trying to maintain a car to do both at once.

I could take "the next step" with the Impreza and turn it into a dedicated toy car, then buy a daily alongside it - but I'm ready for a change, something lighter and more fit for purpose out of the box. I'm ready for a new "project" I guess.

I'm going to take off a few of the easy bolt-off parts which can earn me a few quid, coilovers probably the main one - then I'll get it listed.

I'll not alter the engine/power spec at all - as it'll be more trouble then it's worth to get it taken off, remapped, etc. The extra power will hopefully make it stand out and allow for a quick sale too, but I appreciate that modifications can be offputting too.

My old Brembo's were beyond repair, so can't easily take the AP's off which is a shame - but if some Brembo's come up cheap in the next few weeks - I'll snap them up and get the AP's off too.

I'm properly mixed about this, I'm excited about a new car for next year but I still love driving the Impreza on the road, it'll be painful to drive a "boring" daily... but hopefully it'll encourage me to drive the fun car on a weekend and get more use out of it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daine
Premium Member

29th Oct 15 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep the Scoob as your daily/love of your life, get a track car Clio 172 cup! straight out the box! there hell
of a track car and with a few tweeks, there very impressive and cheap as chips, but price is starting to sneak up as demands get greater...
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Oct 15 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be nice, to keep the Impreza as a daily - but if I'm going to justify the cost of a second dedicated car, I'll need to run something day to day which is cheap as chips.

I'd like something RWD for the track car, but I'm not ruling out a Clio as the daily! A full fat 182 would be comfy enough for my commute, should be able to see over 30mpg in one and they're mega cheap to buy.

Alternatively I'll go the german diesel route, we'll see.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ash5

29th Oct 15 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see over 30mpg in my 182 most of the time, its high 20 when giving it the beans every where

<<  83    84    85    86    87    88  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.1309180 seconds