corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  76    77    78    79    80    81    82  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Mar 15 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is mate yes.

Issues I had:

1) Bolt heads that bolt bracket to hub were too big - caught on inside of disc/bell.

Proper fix would be to swap for a regular bolt rather than an allen bolt thingy, but dremeled a fraction of a MM of material off of the head to fix for now.

2) If the caliper and bracket are mounted direct to the hub, the caliper was not centered over the disc. I probably had 4mm clearance on the front face of the disk and 2mm on the rear, so put a supplied washer between the bracket and the hub to make it a nice even 3mm gap each side.

To be fair, Ian supplied an instruction set which said that the washer may be needed on certain models. Perhaps he's revised his opinion since talking to you.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
neil h

27th Mar 15 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's good to know, when I bought mine he wasn't supplying the washers. So I found out that the hard way that the spacing wasn't ideal.
CORSA NUT

27th Mar 15 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle you legend

Look awesome fella
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legend. Very nice update Kyle, I can imagine they were not cheap!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was hoping it would go un-noticed

Here's the story on the Brembo... It's not beyond repair, just may take a bit of time to get right. Car has been off the road more than it's been on the road since I got back from the US and it's pissing me off, pissing my misses off and I'm starting to get the "sell the moneypit comments" from people who have got no idea what I'm spending on it.

All that combined with a trackday I really didn't want to miss on tuesday - I pulled the trigger on a set of AP Racing 6pots from Godspeed.

Had a choice of Ferrodo DS2500 or Performance Friction something or other pads. Was advised to go for the 2500's for a better cold bite whilst daily driving - so hopefully they'll last 15-20mins of track driving too.

As for the Brembo's, i'll follow through with getting them sorted. A rough and ready set will sell for 500quid it seems, so a set with a new (albeit amateur paintjob) and brand new seals/dust boots should hopefully sell fast. It'll recoup a decent amount of the money I spent on the APs, plus I've got three(!) sets of pads to move on for the Brembo fitment too.

Either that, or I'll shelve them for if/when the Impreza is returned to "as stock as I can easily get" prior to selling it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 18:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished off yesterdays clean this morning/afternoon.

Started off by masking the car off, and machine polishing with Sonus SFX1 restore polish and 3M pads.

A few hours later, wiped down with a degreaser and got to work using one of my new purchases - the carlack carcare complete. Hand applied to the whole car, then left to cure for half an hour

Whilst waiting to cure, I polished up and refitted my road wheels ready for the drive over to Oulton. Knowing my luck recently I'd get a puncture in my R888's on the way to the track... so playing it safe

Buffed the Carlack stuff off, then had a quick run around with the other part of the kit - the Long Life sealant. It goes on as a liquid rather than the usual gel/shampoo consistency of a liquid wax - so helped to buff off any streaks that I missed on the last step.

Once done, I whipped around the glass and trim with various AutoGlym products before finally wheeling out into the sun for a quick once over and photographs.

Rear refurbed Brembo:

...and a new front:

Happy with the result, interior to do tomorrow and a couple other bits' (sort camera mounting etc) and I'm good to go

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Chris C

28th Mar 15 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks lovely mate, rear looks really low !
Marc

28th Mar 15 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice.
Willowsdad

28th Mar 15 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good. Ap's look like they belong there. Don't suppose you've got any spare centre caps for the pff7's. Twat of a tyre fitter broke 2 of mine today!
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the comments folks, appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C
Looks lovely mate, rear looks really low !

Indeed, not happy with how it sits tbh. Prior to my next geo alignment I think I'll raise the rear 10-15mm and raise the front 5-10mm or so.

quote:
Originally posted by Willowsdad
Looking good. Ap's look like they belong there. Don't suppose you've got any spare centre caps for the pff7's. Twat of a tyre fitter broke 2 of mine today!

Afraid not! My PFF7's didn't come with genuine centres so it took me a while to find them. Ended up paying 130quid for a set in less than perfect condition Rare as hens teeth, and don't be fooled into buying the smaller ones suites for the GT1 wheels, as they go much cheaper and won't fit. Seen a few people get stung by that before.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks brilliant
Sean-B

29th Mar 15 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking lovely. Love the AP's
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Mar 15 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers gents.

Received this t'other week, fitted it a few days ago... finally got photos today!

It is of course a DAMD steering wheel, guessed by a couple. Something I ordered in October I think

Fresh off the boat looking very JDM...

The old one, for reference. Good enough wheel, but pretty large diameter and leather has well and truely gone to "shiney"!

With battery unhooked, few torx bits before airbag could pop out:

Before long...

New and Old, chunkier grip on the new one too:

Size difference...

Factory airbag back in, and here's how it looks!

Also fitted the Brodit mobile phone holder with built in charger (wired to my head unit via USB).

Chuffed to bits with it, bit weird getting used to the new grip - looking forward to putting some miles on it!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Willowsdad

29th Mar 15 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They look the nuts. Be interesting to see if it looks as good with the earlier blob airbag. Money well spent Id say.
Nic Barnes

29th Mar 15 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would annoy me having blue seats and trim then red dials
whitter45

29th Mar 15 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome Kyle credit to you and your hard work
Jambo

29th Mar 15 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks lovely.

Best colour too
CORSA NUT

30th Mar 15 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That wheel is much better
Marc

30th Mar 15 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Looks lovely.

Best colour too

I remember when the colour came out and there was some serious jizzing on Scoobynet!
flybikeslee

30th Mar 15 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheel looks much better
Mark.W

30th Mar 15 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love everything you have done to this
Wrighty

31st Mar 15 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

job well done mate, brakes are monstrous and that steering wheel is pimping i really like that. still prefer track wheels though
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Mar 15 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car survived all weather conditions today at Oulton Park, and was an absolute pleasure to drive.

Will update properly with pics/vids etc when I sort everything out!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Apr 15 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sooo good day at Oulton despite horrible weather.

Drove over on the night before to a travelodge - the 3hour drive was the first real test of the cars endurance and braking - went without a hiccup.

Up early at Travelodges finest and headed to the circuit. Forecast had perked up a bit, we now had a dry-ish afternoon scheduled but we had some real nasty weather in the morning - including hail!

I was sharing a garage with a friend, so at least we could hide from the worst of it.

Had one really slow and really unsure session, somehow I still didn't know this track despite all the YouTube I had watched - the undulations and blind spots don't help build up confidence.

At 10:30 I had my 20mins of tuition, guy pointed out some lines I probably wouldn't have figured out so early, but other than that the weather really didn't allow for a particularly awesome experiece. Being honest I felt I wasted a lot of time waiting around and it threw my morning right off. Combined with a few quite lengthy red flags due to crashes... much of the morning was wasted.

Had one more session before lunch, built up a bit more speed but the braking zone and first corner were particularly dangerous - a big lockup under braking, some turn-in oversteer and a little ride of the kerbs made sure I was ready for lunch

After lunch things really started looking up, got an hour or so of no rain and people were eager to get on track which meant a dry line was soon forming.

We had a few showers in the afternoon, but other than the second chicane which got a bit dicey (slow speed fun) the track stayed usable pretty much all afternoon and allowed to really get to grips with it and start pushing on a bit.

I've got a shed load more to get out of Oulton, and can't wait to go back.

Couple of videos - first one with a mix of dry and damp, second is all dry but loads of traffic (due to the dry) and not quite so good to watch IMO.

Damp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GWdfi12rRc

Dry with traffic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZtlrmywYw4

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

2nd Apr 15 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a good day Kyle The car seems to go well on track

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|

<<  76    77    78    79    80    81    82  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.1219580 seconds