corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  74    75    76    77    78    79    80  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Feb 15 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gavin18787
Premium Member

18th Feb 15 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats alot of sets of wheels. Mrs moans about my two sets

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Feb 15 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One set is at my Dads, not sure she knows about those yet

Just need to get my track tyres switched over, then some wheels refurbed then the 18's sold.

Inbetween sorting my calipers, moving house and getting married

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

18th Feb 15 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shame you dont have the same bolt pattern as me, could have sold me a spare set
Toby
Premium Member

18th Feb 15 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good mate. I think you will be leaving us all behind. Will have to get RST to tweek my map just that little bit extra!
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Feb 15 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Looking good mate. I think you will be leaving us all behind. Will have to get RST to tweek my map just that little bit extra!

Cheers Toby, unfortunately my two days of sheer joy came to an end last night. Came on boost on the bypass, and it hesitated again.

Came back around, and on a "pull" from low RPM in third I got a violent cut out of power at what should be peak boost-ish.

Checked all Vac hoses last night again, everything looks sound - but the car is clearly not well again.

Might have to be a bumper off job to fully inspect all the silicone joiners for the FMIC piping - but to be honest, I'm getting bored of messing around so I will just dump it back at the garage and tell them to keep it till it's 100%.

Other things I've noticed, might be related:

- Weird electrical glitch last night. Got to my car and the green arrow for the left hand indicator was lit up on my dashboard, no key in the ignition and no indicator blinking.

- When testing after checking and refitting all my vac hoses - the boost gauge was showing 5psi at idle and was off the chart when on boost. No issues at all this morning with it though.

- Intake hose (between turbo and air filter cone) is VERY flexible near the turbo compressor "mouth". Wonder if this is sucking in and collapsing under heavy load.

Annoying as hell that I can drive across the country, spend a couple of hours with a mapper on a RR and then drive all the way home without so much as a hiccup... and then for it to start fucking around with me when I'm home again.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

19th Feb 15 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the joys LOL

Are all your earths ok? With a dodgy earth, or suspect battery we've had some of the symptoms you have. Sudden cut of power etc.

Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Feb 15 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
the joys LOL

Are all your earths ok? With a dodgy earth, or suspect battery we've had some of the symptoms you have. Sudden cut of power etc.

The Earth's that I can see clearly in the engine bay all seem intact, the bloody things are everywhere though.

Electrics are still very much a mystery to me to be honest, but there is some "custom" wiring in my car which I could probably rule out:

1) Gauges, specifically the extensions I had made for the switch units so I could fit the switches in my ashtray.

2) Headlights, my JDM lights came with a custom "loom" which the bodyshop fitted for me when painting the car. It does seem a bit suspect with spade connectors being used rather than soldering in a proper connector etc.

3) My HVAC unit which I changed the lighting in AGES ago. I did it proper cowboy, tape instead of heatshrink etc so could probably do to get that out and re-done properly with my new skillz.

It is starting to feel electrical, the weird indicator glitch and weird behaviour on the boost gauge. I did some reading about how the coilpacks work and apparently there's a secondary coil or something that delivers extra power under heavy load - so the spark can "beat" the compression... or some bollocks like that. Perhaps a plug, coil or feed to a coil is failing at this point which gives me a perfect driving experience when off boost/low load.

Did I post this earlier? Can't remember - but it seems I can reach the redline without hesitation as long as I don't load up the turbo - but if I floor it, I get problems.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

19th Feb 15 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a vac/pressure test done to see any leaks, check out that inlet pipe

We've had one collapse before and it just kills all power as you come on boost (every time, not some of the time)
Simon_16v

19th Feb 15 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a map sensor? It may be that it's boosting slightly higher than it's threshold?

Or I could be talking bollocks
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Feb 15 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
Get a vac/pressure test done to see any leaks, check out that inlet pipe

We've had one collapse before and it just kills all power as you come on boost (every time, not some of the time)

I need a compressor so I can do stuff like that myself, impossible to gauge it whilst idling on the drive without something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Is there a map sensor? It may be that it's boosting slightly higher than it's threshold?

Or I could be talking bollocks

I guess if the wastegate is sticking - it might be overboosting and hitting fuel cut(?)

So much bloody stuff it could be, given up driveway diagnostics though - it gets boring quickly

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

19th Feb 15 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Violent cut in power? My money's on boost creep and fuel cut.

MAP sensor?
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Feb 15 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Violent cut in power? My money's on boost creep and fuel cut.

MAP sensor?

Could be chasing sensors all day I guess, except MAF - as it doesn't have one anymore

What could cause boost creep? Boost control solonoid and/or wastegate actuator not performing I guess?

Rang garage today, probably going to take it after work tomorrow - let them have it till' whenever.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

20th Feb 15 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mafless =

You've got a 3 port solenoid already haven't you? I remember when my actuator arm came off my wastegate and I think that caused the same type of problem. Something will be on it's limit somewhere but I'd day Andy would be the best person to diagnose
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took a colleague out at lunch to demonstrate the issue, could initiate the "fuel cut" reliably on 3rd gear pulls.

Took to Richard Henry this aft, got the owner in the car with me and of course it ran alright. Not brilliant, still felt a bit lethargic but certainly wasn't fuel cutting.

Left it with him, he can commute in it for a few days and see what he thinks.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

20th Feb 15 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3rd gear sounds about right....Don't they do dyno runs in 3rd gear as the car essentially maxes out in terms of boost? I had the same problem when mapping MY96 Scooby with an ESL daughterboard and it maxxed out at 300 until we fitted the 3 port solenoid then it got to 320 which maxxed the Td05 out.

I'm still thinking it's the MAP sensor....no hoses are collapsing under boost are they?
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Feb 15 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, Andy did mention that apparently the Hawkeye MAP sensor has a higher tolerance for initiating the fuel cut - so might be just a case of upgrading to that.

I'm not entirely sure, I think I may have two different symptoms:

1) A slight bog down/hesitation when I expect massive torque.

2) Fuel-Cut and a violent jerk.

Whether the same thing cures both, I'm not sure. I'm hoping they get time to just do a basic plugs/coils check tomorrow - as it might be something as simple as that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

28th Feb 15 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get anywhere with the issues you were having mate?
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Feb 15 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately not, or at least not that I'm aware of.

It's been at the garage for a week now - and I've really not had time to chase them or find out updates, moving house in a couple of weeks and work has been flat out!

Will have to give them a call on monday, I think they're finishing off a few sprint cars for this season and I suppose my car is easily forgotten.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

28th Feb 15 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let's hope it all gets sorted in time for Oulton.

No what you mean about forgotten, the bloke who has mine has had it three weeks, whilst I appreciate it's an out of hours jobbie saving me £400-500 I'm desperate to get it back and mapped again.
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Feb 15 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Let's hope it all gets sorted in time for Oulton.

No what you mean about forgotten, the bloke who has mine has had it three weeks, whilst I appreciate it's an out of hours jobbie saving me £400-500 I'm desperate to get it back and mapped again.

Yeah going to call on Monday and basically let them have it until 13th March at the latest. That's the day I'm due to move out, so will need it for hauling stuff and testing out it's new home I've also still got brakes to refurb before Oulton - so can't really afford to hang around much longer than that.

If I were to call ahead and "book it in" for their 100% focus I probably wouldn't have had it in until June! They've got loads on at the moment, and I can survive (just) without it so I'm happy to let them work around it a little bit.

Only thing that makes me a little nervous is what happens if they look at it, and THEN it needs a load of expensive/time consuming work doing on it? I hope not - but the uncertainty is still a little un-nerving.

I did speak to them earlier last week briefly. I complained about a rattle from the fuel lines when the car is first fired up from 0psi pressure (ie, when it's been left over night) and they shrugged it off as rattle complaints in Subaru's are hardly worth writing home about Since they've heard it themselves though, it's annoying the hell out of them and it's definitely "not right". I'm pinning hopes on it being the FPR spring rattling a bit - as they've got a replacement FPR on it's way to the shop which I bought a while ago.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Mar 15 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In Lieu of any car updates, just booked a travelodge near Oulton for 26quid - room for 3 adults

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Mar 15 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got an update on Friday, they've started looking at my car at last!

Rattle on startup has been fixed by rerouting some of the braided fuel hoses, seems it was transmitting noise through the bulkhead into the solid lines.

Suspect performance issues to be wastegate related, either solonoid or the wastegate itself mechanically sticking causing overboost and hence fuel cut. Hopefully learn more early next week.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Mar 15 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time for a proper post in this thread, car really has been a back of the mind thing recently - because I've finally moved house!!

It seems like ever since starting this thread, every other page has made reference to "when I sell my house..." or "when I've got room to work...." etc, and now the time has finally come.

I'll put something up in House Day eventually I guess, but the car relevant part is this:

I've been fantasising about a double garage forever, so when this place came up 10mins away from where I lived before, in a tiny village I could not resist.

As you can probably tell from the picture above, I collected my car from the garage today at last. It's been a frustrating few weeks, they've been unable to replicate my fuel/cut and power loss issues that I was able to replicate myself right up until lunch time on the day I gave them the car! They rerouted some of my braided fuel lines in the engine bay to resolve a rattle on startup, and swapped the AEM adjustable FPR out for a Fuelab one that I provided... just to rule out the FPR.

I drove the car the ~40mins home and it drove like a dream, eh well. I'll try to put it to the back of my mind, with the intention of checking all plugs/coils/etc if/when it happens again. With a track day looming though, I really wanted some closure on the issues.

5mins after showing the car its new home, it was up on axle stands so I could finally check fitment of my new track wheels that I bought months ago. They cleared the Brembo's and the struts fine, and look like there should be no issues even with tyres on either:

I then boxed the wheel back up, and whipped off the front two calipers. In the next 48hours or so I plan to have them cleaned, sanded down, piston seals/dust seals replaced then painted up and back on the car

Reminder of the colour difference between them after my last run at Blyton

That's not a lighting thing either, they really are brown and gold... or is that blue and black?

Left them soaking in a sink full of bilberry, got a compressor arriving tomorrow so will use it to pop out the pistons then I can get cracking.

Happy days!

[Edited on 16-03-2015 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

16th Mar 15 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a lovely garage you have there. Definitely got to get a house day thread up.

<<  74    75    76    77    78    79    80  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0393581 seconds