corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  72    73    74    75    76    77    78  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Jan 15 at 06:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Great work Kyle. Can't wait to see it go! Just in the realms of getting mine booked in for various buts!

Good stuff, got anything booked trackday wise yet?

Not yet as waiting until all the work is done. Dave is doing one via track addict on the 8th but mine won't be ready for then. Also a few people I know are all booking Oulton park on the 31st March so That's what I'm aiming for! So that's a possibility if your free.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

Picked this funky little setup up, it comes with a bung that will replace my OEM oil pressure sensor over cylinder 3 and allows me to tap both oil pressure and temp into it. The Oil Pressure gauge (the big bit) I splashed out on a bit, guess there's no point in getting decent gauges then going cheap on the sensor!

The gauges in the pod came with a boost sender and wiring for the pressure/temp sensor - so I'm good to go pending a decision on whether to paint the pod or not.

Will be configured amber, with an option to switch them to white. I may opt not to wire it into my headlights (to have a night/day switch) but instead wire it into the dimming switch I've got on my indicator stalk which has been redundant since fitting hawkeye clocks and an Evo timepiece.

I've only been talking about gauges since buying the car, looking forward to getting them in.

where did you get this from mate? might buy one myself as looking at your guide, i reckon i can fit these gauges myself now
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 17:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Great work Kyle. Can't wait to see it go! Just in the realms of getting mine booked in for various buts!

Good stuff, got anything booked trackday wise yet?

Not yet as waiting until all the work is done. Dave is doing one via track addict on the 8th but mine won't be ready for then. Also a few people I know are all booking Oulton park on the 31st March so That's what I'm aiming for! So that's a possibility if your free.

I'll have to hold fire for now, only need to sort brakes on the car so relatively close to being ready but can't be sure of any dates yet. Hoping that the 31st March will be good though

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
quote:

Picked this funky little setup up, it comes with a bung that will replace my OEM oil pressure sensor over cylinder 3 and allows me to tap both oil pressure and temp into it. The Oil Pressure gauge (the big bit) I splashed out on a bit, guess there's no point in getting decent gauges then going cheap on the sensor!

The gauges in the pod came with a boost sender and wiring for the pressure/temp sensor - so I'm good to go pending a decision on whether to paint the pod or not.

Will be configured amber, with an option to switch them to white. I may opt not to wire it into my headlights (to have a night/day switch) but instead wire it into the dimming switch I've got on my indicator stalk which has been redundant since fitting hawkeye clocks and an Evo timepiece.

I've only been talking about gauges since buying the car, looking forward to getting them in.

where did you get this from mate? might buy one myself as looking at your guide, i reckon i can fit these gauges myself now

RSpec dude: http://rspec.co.uk/performance-gauges

That goes below the alternator, and the temp sensor above Cyl3 (apparently the hottest cylinder).

If you can remove/replace the alternator and TMIC, you're good to go

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one rspec are just down the street from mum and dads, will save on the postage again

That adapter, I take it one end plugs in for the oil temp in cylinder 3 and the other end plugs in for oil pressure?

Which line did you plumb the vacuum for the turbo into?

[Edited on 20-01-2015 by SteveoBC]
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I initially thought that (oil temp and pressure from same bung) but I was wrong... I guess technically you could though.

The idea of that adapter is so you can retain the OEM oil pressure switch. Cylinder 3 (under the TMIC, near the turbo) has a bung which should be used for oil temp - as it's apparently the hottest running cylinder.

Vacuum was taken from the recirc valve, the little vacuum hose on there.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah no I mean you plug the adapter into 2 different bung ports, temp by cylinder 3 and the oil pressure bung is further back under the intercooler

I'm guessing this is the kit you bought?
http://rspec.co.uk/gauge-sensor-adaptors/subaru-adaptors/subaru-remote-dual-oil-sensor-adaptor-kit-1-8-npt

[Edited on 20-01-2015 by SteveoBC]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Vacuum was taken from the recirc valve, the little vacuum hose on there.

Had a look back on page 56, couldn't see from the engine bay pic where you plumbed the T piece in, can you show me a pic when you can please Kyle?
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Layout is a bit different now so not actually sure its plumbed in the same now!

Will get some pics from before and annotate for you.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Layout is a bit different now so not actually sure its plumbed in the same now!

Will get some pics from before and annotate for you.

ledgend, cheers Kyle
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No need for annotation I don't think:

I Teed into the thin hose coming out of the recirc valve directly below the "dot of the I" on the STI logo on the TMIC.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems I've been having battery issues on and off with this car for a while... but I'm sure it's because it's spent the best part of a year sat still.

Since getting it back, I was getting alarm chirp on startup and it was very lethargic to start up. This morning it needed jumping.

I've ordered a trickle-charger kit, but also thought I'd check the alternator was actually working properly.

Battery measured 10.60 volts with the car off, and 14.70 with it running... that suggests the alternator is good aye?

Will get the charger tomorrow, leave it over the weekend nights to see if it's any better.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Seems I've been having battery issues on and off with this car for a while... but I'm sure it's because it's spent the best part of a year sat still.

Since getting it back, I was getting alarm chirp on startup and it was very lethargic to start up. This morning it needed jumping.

I've ordered a trickle-charger kit, but also thought I'd check the alternator was actually working properly.

Battery measured 10.60 volts with the car off, and 14.70 with it running... that suggests the alternator is good aye?

Will get the charger tomorrow, leave it over the weekend nights to see if it's any better.

not alone there mate, mine only gets used on weekends sometimes 2 weeks apart and the battery does get eaten if left
ianofbhills

22nd Jan 15 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alternator is charging ok but a battery at 10.6v probably has knackered cells and is unrecoverable. Should be over 12v when car is off.
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Jan 15 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ian, good info.

It was actually 11.60, I typo'd it. Not sure if that changes the end result though.

My AA trickle charger arrived this morning, it seems to have some built in battery health checking which mine passed - and it's trickling away right now.

Will see how it looks tomorrow, the manual says it would take up to 100hours to charge a dead battery - so will allow it the weekend at least.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

23rd Jan 15 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any ideas on 0-60 times?

here are a couple of vids of both ours getting off the line quite quickly.

Mine - with about 380bhp at the time but a close ratio 5sp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yghE6y2kZQ

Fee's - 440ish bhp but 1100kg with close ratio 6sp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rofPF6m53Q

I did love the noises from my 20G and no DV..... and the kick in the back at ~4000rpm
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Jan 15 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea, it's been wet and/or icy everytime I've been out in it so far

Doing that JGM memorial day at Elvington so will get 1/4mile time I guess (though I bet I suck at it), do they time 0-60 on 1/4mile events?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

24th Jan 15 at 02:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably a list of people before me already, but I want dibs on buying this when selling

Mate rates tho
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Jan 15 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Probably a list of people before me already, but I want dibs on buying this when selling

Mate rates tho

Flattering GTFO with your mates rates though, I avoid having friends to avoid such social obligations.

Done some tinkering today, I'll start with the battery!

My Trickle charger arrived on Friday AM, so I hooked it up - and off it went, trickling away. By 11pm it was reporting fully charged and now in maintenance mode, brilliant. Went outside, cranked the car and it barely started - again with an alarm chirp. Battery was showing 11.95v now without the car running.

Got up this morning, checked the volts on the battery and it was down to 10.X - I'm sure this battery is now a duff, so off I went to Halford and 80quid later had me a http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/batteries/halfords-calcium-battery-hcb005--4-yr-guarantee

Went home, took the old one out and tidied up the cabling. Not sure if anyone can remember but the terminals on my previous battery were the wrong way around and so had to extend my positive lead. All that bodge could now be removed, excellent.

New battery in, and the car fires up with much enthusiasm - good stuff.

I also wanted to tidy up the area in my engine bay where the A/C was ripped out, I've got a few things I want to do over the next few weeks - but got started on something easy which was to remove a couple of redundant brackets:

The one down near the dipstick and one up by the alternator.

They came off nice and easy, leaving this:

I then gave the area a spray with neat alloy wheel cleaner, bit of a scrub then blast with the steam cleaner. It came up a bit, but needs more work.

The other thing I want to do here is to find the right bolts for all of the empty holes, and simply blank them off.

Since I had some cleaning gear out, you know what came next - a couple of hours scrubbing away what seems like a year worth of crud and the car came up half decent.

Next up I dug out a package which I ordered in a drunken group buy sometime in July, I think. I was in the US, yet another Friday night alone at the hotel bar then went back to my room and started sending money all over the place on PayPal.

It was a brake stopper from CDF racing.

I'm pretty sure these are worthless, but the idea is that it bolts onto the driver suspension turret, and a little adjustable stopper sits just off the brake master cylinder and stops it from flexing under hard braking... honestly seems like bullshit to me, but hey-ho.

It would give me an opportunity to tidy another area of the engine bay:

Out came the old bracket for the boost solonoid and in goes the stopper. Had to remove one of the FMIC pipes but that was easy.

Tidied up the vac hose for the boost solonoid and ran it through the stopper.

Whilst in the area, took some shots of some of the new fuelling goodies i've got

Catch-Can hiding away...

Then time to go back to an old photo spot for a few shots, enjoyable day with the car

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

25th Jan 15 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was it a dry cell 'racing battery'

if so dont think ur spose to let them get flat/low it knackers em

whens it off on rollers?
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 15 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah it wasn't one of those wee batteries - it was a great big optima redtop thingy, only got it as it was an AGM battery and at one point I was looking to shift it into the boot.

Not sure on rollers yet, there's a RR day at RSTuning (Leeds) end of Feb, but last time I went there it under-read by about 50bhp and they told me I was running fatally lean whilst on boost. Wasted about £200 in other diagnostics to prove otherwise after that...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

25th Jan 15 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AET have rollers, well them box things that you bolt to the hubs anyway
Sean-B

26th Jan 15 at 06:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those BMC stoppers are excellent. Have you had someone press your brake pedal and watch the whole system flex on the bulkhead? You need to set the stop so it's in permanent contact with the BMC
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 06:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't put it in the boot. Worst place for it
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check that you havnt got any amp draw killing the battery?
Dead quick and easy to test. Will stop you from potentially ruining another battery?
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do I do that Flaffy? My battery diagnosis skills goes as far as licking the terminals.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  72    73    74    75    76    77    78  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0906289 seconds