corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  75    76    77    78    79    80    81  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
16th Mar 15 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully that fuel issue won't raise it's head again any time soon

Garage looks awesome
Simon_16v

16th Mar 15 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you get the jap saloon fixed we can get this french thing of mine undersealed properly
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay........now im really fucking jealous

double garage wanker

nah looks good Kyle, if you can get both doors open on a car inside a garage whilst being sheltered in the dry you are laughing
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers chaps.

Can indeed get all doors open, with room to spare

Compressor didn't arrive today, which is annoying. Meant I couldn't use it to pop my pistons out - but I decided to get on with priming anyway.

Calipers were a right pig to clean properly, and even once clean they're a bit of a mess with chunks coming out of them in various places, stuck stones I suspect - they do run REALLY close to the OEM alloys.

Cleaned them all up and then rubbed down with 240 wet and dry, it's the coarsest stuff I had and could probably have done to have been a bit coarser - but eh well. Wiped down with an IPA and then popped out the bleed nipples before stuffing all the threaded holes with tissue.

Quick blast with primer later, and we have some grey looking calipers.

Overspray you say? Never.

If compressor gets here tomorrow, I'll pop the pistons and seals out - get the bores plugged up with rag and then we'll put my top coat on, hopefully lacquer tomorrow night and then rebuild/refit first thing thursday morning.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure your fingers are well away when the pistons pop! never been in so much pain!!
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an unsuspecting bit of wood for that job, seen videos them launching through garage doors and all sorts

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Productive day today on the calipers.

Courier arrived at aroumd midday with my compressor, nice tidy wee bit of kit from SGS Engineering.

Set the compressor up, then set about popping the pistons out of my calipers with it. The 2-pots came out easy, just stuffed a load of folded cardboard between the pistons so they both came half out, then wiggled them out with my hands.

4-pots were another story though, impossible to apply even pressure to all four pistons so ended up popping to homebase for some clamps.

With the clamps in place, I fired the rest out - jeez they come out with some force

Once the pistons were out, I popped the seals out with a wee screwdriver and then set to work scraping out the remains of the old dust boots. These were seriously melted/burned into place in some areas.

I then gave the calipers another clean down, degrease then hung them back up for spraying.

I had bought some special "caliper paint" a few weeks ago, came with a bottle of hardener that I had to mix. 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener. Got it all mixed up, then loaded up my spray gun.

Had a few test blasts on a convenient board of asbestos in my garage - tweaked the fan/pressure a bit then got to work.

My first ever go using a gun, seemed to go OK. I think my hanging arrangement for the calipers should have been much better - they span around like crazy under the pressure of the air/paint and as a result - I later found my coverage to be a bit uneven when it started to dry.

I did 3 coats approx. 40mins apart - then left them for a few hours.

Few hours later, got them in the house and couldn't help myself. Quick wipe down with degreaser then put my stickers on

Old seals and dust boots:

Pistons all cleaned up, and all in really good condition:

My seal kits ready for tomorrow:

Plan for tomorrow, get the new seals in and the pistons back in - and mount calipers to the car.

I did buy a can of lacquer, but I since read that I shouldn't use it with the paint I've used(?) They do have a very smooth/shiney finish to them so I'm no too concerned.

Hopefully if Simon is free in the evening, I'll get the brakes bled (got some new pads to put in too) and we can go for a test drive

In the middle of all this today, a very JDM looking box arrived.

More on that later

[Edited on 18-03-2015 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New boxed thing could look smart...

Good finish on the Calipers too!
3CorsaMeal

19th Mar 15 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steering wheel imo
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Mar 15 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh why always some drama?

Had the calipers bolted up to the car on thursday, but had to go out so no time to bleed and get the wheels on.

Tonight I had Simon lined up to come round and do some bleeding with me, so got in from work and did a few finishing touches... screw the bleed nipples in.

Succesfully screwed 7 of the buggers in, then the final one in my front drivers' caliper just span around and around... stripped thread in the caliper. Not sure when this happened, as I don't remember any issues with it coming out and it certainly wasn't difficult to get in. Either way, the thread is completely smooth inside the bore :@

Found an Amazon seller who can Prime me an appropriately sized Helicoil kit for tomorrow. Going to give this a try, though with it being a quite important component to my safety I'm a little nervous about it.

From what I can gather, the bleed nipple seals at the base - not in the threads, so it needs to be 100% straight in the bore for that seal. At the very least I can give it a try, and have somebody stomp on the brakes after bleeding for a bit to see if we can encourage any leaks... then take it out on the road and hope for the best!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

20th Mar 15 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worth it mate, definitely some real effort going on with this Impreza and it shows Got a to-do list as long as my arm for mine at the mo lol Got a few bits to put on as soon as I get a nice weekend; new discs/pads, bulbs all round, oil/filter, plugs. Got it booked in for it's front end respray after the bus incident too, as well as having the door dings pulled out. Still need to get my gauges and get them fitted, will certainly be using your thread as a guide for that one

[Edited on 20-03-2015 by Brett]
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Mar 15 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Brett. I'll be honest though, I've had the car driveable for about 4 weeks in the last 12 and it's really starting to wear me down, and the missus is getting sick of car sharing.

I need several months of hassle free motoring after this brake episode is done, otherwise I'll be struggling to maintain enthusiasm. EDIT: Though it has to made clear, for the reputation of the Impreza that ALL of my trouble has been self inflicted. I had a perfectly running 320bhp car which could take abuse with minimal fuss. My efforts to push the car a bit harder have led to teething problems, which I suppose I should expect.

Helicoil kit arrived at 10am this morning, bloody brilliant service from Amazon Prime once again.

Went through the process, coil went in and all seemed nice and tidy. Hooked the caliper back up to the car but it was still leaking from this nipple when pumping the pedal. Seems it's just not seating right on the base (Which provides the seal, not the threads).

Had a bit of a strop, missus had an attempt to cheer me up by telling me the car should go and I should go put a deposit down at Subaru for a '15 STI

Called Ian @ Godspeed to ask if he had any single calipers knocking about for sale, no good but he did offer to take a look at my caliper as they do thread repairs all the time on these - and said he would effectively remachine the hole and base completely to make sure of a good seal.

I explained I'm on tight time, got a trackday in a little over a week and he said it would be no problem turning it around for me.

Will get this caliper packaged up and sent off ASAP.

Bloody thing!

[Edited on 21-03-2015 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

21st Mar 15 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work Kyle! Glad to hear you'll get that bleed nipple sorted

I'm with you on the whole teething issues! Still sorting little bits on mine and it's annoying having to work on the car most weekends It will be all worth it though! You won't regret it when it's a nice day and you can go take it for a spin!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
BarnshaW

22nd Mar 15 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice work mate, tasteful stuff going on.

I do feel for you though, the fear of things always breaking and going wrong put me right off in the end, fell out of love with the car, got a lexus 7 months ago and never have that same fear of something new not going wrong in the morning

Calipers would have looked nice bright yellow I think
djgritt
Premium Member

22nd Mar 15 at 08:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, at least it's not the fuellin isdue now....
Wrighty

22nd Mar 15 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have just got an aftermarket brake kit
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Mar 15 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Darryl, Barnshaw.

Wrighty - you're not kidding. Keep looking at an AP kit in a group buy atm... about 1250quid which I'm still a long way short of investment wise on my brakes, but adding in effort and time off the road - I wish I just had a shiney set of AP's on

Did a couple of odd jobs tonight, one of which was taking my TSL backbox off in preparation to put my quieter prodrive one back on for the track day. CBA Lumping a spare backbox all the way to Oulton so will just turn up as quiet as I can.

Backbox gasket is looking a little second hand, as were the bolts - so got some new stuff on the way.

Quite an annoying day, sun was out - and this new house is right on a country road which seems very popular amongst weekend hooners. Today I've seen two different Audi R8s, a load of Boxters, a bright green 911 which I believe lives opposite, an Evo 10, and a dude on a penny farthing Boiled my piss seeing all those people out, and me stuck inside with a car on ramps

Even the neighbour washing his Lexus annoyed me.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Willowsdad

22nd Mar 15 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great job painting the calipers. I've got a sticky brembo caliper that needs fixing. In 2 minds about trying to strip and rebuild them myself. The thread stripping problem seems quite common. Is that one of their flat bottom wheels in that box? Very nice if so.

[Edited on 22-03-2015 by Willowsdad]
CORSA NUT

22nd Mar 15 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
nice work mate, tasteful stuff going on.

I do feel for you though, the fear of things always breaking and going wrong put me right off in the end, fell out of love with the car, got a lexus 7 months ago and never have that same fear of something new not going wrong in the morning

Calipers would have looked nice bright yellow I think

What Lexus you get mate? Just being nosey like
3CorsaMeal

23rd Mar 15 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you get a larger nipple and just tap the thread out to the next size up.
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Mar 15 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Can't you get a larger nipple and just tap the thread out to the next size up.

That's possibly how Godspeed will fix it.

My issue is, I've got no facilities yet to clamp it all down and drill it straight. As the nipple seals at the tapered base - it needs to be 100% right.

Got it in the post first thing this morning, hopefully I'll get it back before Friday.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

24th Mar 15 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any updates
SteveoBC
Premium Member

24th Mar 15 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

....and this is why i cant be arsed to piss-ball about with my own calipers lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Mar 15 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good News!

Got my caliper back

Now I know what you're thinking... but no, they're not a different colour - it's just the lighting.

While it was away, I took a bit of wire wool to my brackets - they came up a treat aye?

Even with everything nice and shiney, still wasn't entirely straight forward to get the car back road worthy.

First, I had problems with clearance with my new... er, I mean cleaned up caliper bolts which needed a bit of dremel'ing to give me adequate clearance:

Got the calipers mounted up on thursday night, looking good

Had a go at bleeding with Simon, it was getting late and we rushed through it a bit I think. Ended up with the pedal just going to the floor, and needing 3 or 4 pumps before I got any brakes.

Went to bed knackered, but ready to get it sorted on my day off today.

Got up, re-bled and this time it was much better - so went for a drive. I fitted my trackday wheels/tyres as they've never been on the car before and wanted to confirm clearance etc in time for Oulton on tuesday.

After my wee drive, decided to clean the car - first time in months.

Obligatory snow foam shot:

Followed that up with a wash, dry, Iron-X and then claybar.

Iron-X had a decent yield in places.

This is how it looked after clay, just before being wheeled back in the garage for polish and sealant tonight/tomorrow:

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
neil h

27th Mar 15 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a Godspeed kit isn't it? How did you find the fitting?

I had a right mare with mine because of the way the bracket mounts to the hub. Ended up spacing the calipre away from the bracket and the bracket away from the hub to get the things to fit properly (even though Ian reckoned I shouldn't have needed to).

[Edited on 27-03-2015 by neil h]

<<  75    76    77    78    79    80    81  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.1255040 seconds