corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sick Twitter User (@Rileyy_69)

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sick Twitter User (@Rileyy_69)
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Jul 12 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It may well be the law Will, but if you abuse Stephen Fry on twitter, or Alan 3 doors down from you the same way, only one will get you arrested.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course, and other than the fact the first chap is famous and alan isnt, there is also a very very public record which can be mirrored showing the offence.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and everyone on the daily mail comments page will be fuming too i imagine
Eddx14xe

31st Jul 12 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just need continuity with the law. Either they enforce it on every website for everyone or no one at all. They can't just pick and choose who to prosecute, depending on who has been offended and what website it has been on.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jul 12 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
And maybe because it wasn't there in black and white

It was though - I spoke to the Police, told them I had everything, told then I had notification in my DP policy to allow them legally to have access to it all very easily and properly, it was all done right and how many scammers got arrested?
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd expect the police to prioritise their resources to assist the internet scam victims or MOT scam victims that have lost money or property due to a crime, over that of a celebrity that has been offended on twitter.

I'd also however fully expect police resources to be prioritised in such a way that high profile and visible instances of verbal/internet abuse are dealt with over somebody being abused in the pub or on a relatively private domain such as corsasport.

The police have got to act on this Tom Daley incident due to how visible it is to the world, the visibility of it makes it a worse crime than if the same words were said privately.

The law is to prevent/restrict incorrect use of the communication domain, it's not to prevent somebody from being offensive... if that makes sense.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But there is offensive and just plain disgusting.
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's wrong that a crime is considered worse just because more people are aware of it. The crime is the same
Hammer

31st Jul 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
It does humour me that they are arresting people for saying things on twitter these days.

If the kid in question had seen Daley in the street and hurled the abuse to his face, nothing would have come of it.

However, he sent a tweet (not a nice one granted) and got arrested.

- The thing is, it's not the act of sending the tweet that got him arrested, it was the viral element of the media surrounding the tweet (due to Tom's fame) which caused the police to get involved.

If this was an average person having abuse thrown at him, it's unlikely the police would have done anything.

So are the police now just enforcers for the large corporations, famous and rich? Or public servants for everyone?

As proven by Ian, if the case involved 'average joes' as the victims - it's ultimately going to be ignored.

We come from a time where the internet was a place of free speech, it was 'only the internet' and banter. It was always the way that if you didn't like something, simply don't read it / rise to it. However, we're now heading towards a sea of censorship and enforcement which could make the internet just as pedantic as the real world these days.

You talk more shite than 10 arseholes.
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
It's wrong that a crime is considered worse just because more people are aware of it. The crime is the same

Quite right but the majority vote always wins
BarnshaW

31st Jul 12 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul_j actually speaking sense imo
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck off, the internet should be tret the same as the real world. Because at the each end of the computers that's exactly what is there.
neil h

31st Jul 12 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
Just need continuity with the law. Either they enforce it on every website for everyone or no one at all. They can't just pick and choose who to prosecute, depending on who has been offended and what website it has been on.

So your wanting an entire police unit dedicated to trawling the net searching for people being abusive? Come on, seriously?
Eddx14xe

31st Jul 12 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so how come the law is only enforced on one website to certain people? As I said you can't pick and choose who the law protects and what websites its enforced on.

If it's a law it needs to be enforced everywhere to everyone. Not just for a couple of famous people because they don't like being offended infront of everyone.

Eddx14xe

31st Jul 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd all soon start whinging if you were done for speeding but famous people were let off.
GB123
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a difference between speeding and making remarks about someone's dead father tbh
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
Ok, so how come the law is only enforced on one website to certain people? As I said you can't pick and choose who the law protects and what websites its enforced on.

Like I said, I believe this particular law is in place to stop people abusing the public domain of the internet rather than the actual insult itself.

That makes a face to face insult or abuse in the pub or on the street different to the insult or abuse on the internet. This is then amplified when it's a "more public" part of the internet such as the twitter feed of a celebrity.

Remember the moshgirl photoshops for example? The Legal system got involved with that because it went completely viral and the lass couldn't go anywhere without being mocked and bullied.

When it was out of the spotlight and just on a few select forums, nobody cared.

I'm not saying that I particularly agree with that in principal, but that's the way it looks to me.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forget about the fact he's a Celebrity.

Police got involved because it's highly visible to the public, fair enough that's because it happens to involve a celebrity in this instance - but I've used another example of internet abuse going "legal" with a nobody, which went viral for different reasons.

I'm rubbish at wording this how I want to, but I know what I'm getting at

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok Edd is deleting his posts now which makes it look like i'm talking to myself

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

31st Jul 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

triple post
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jul 12 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Remember the moshgirl photoshops for example? The Legal system got involved with that because it went completely viral and the lass couldn't go anywhere without being mocked and bullied.

When it was out of the spotlight and just on a few select forums, nobody cared.

Exactly, except in my example the bit no one cares about is actual fraud in which people have lost actual money.
Eddx14xe

31st Jul 12 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you're all completely missing the point. Me, Ian and Steve seem to be the only ones with any sense.

The rest of you all think because someone is famous they deserve extra laws to protect them on the internet. Don't see how it's any different to doing it any where else.

I deleted my post because it all messed up.
GB123
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not at all, but you can't honestly compare speeding to being purposefully insulting to somebody, it's not even a fair comparison. Also I don't really understand why you're defending him, surely it's a good thing he was arrested, it'll teach him a lesson at least.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Jul 12 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Defending the offensive guy? Quote me.

I'm just saying I'd prefer it to come below crimes with actual losses.
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Similar levels of intelligence being displayed as those saying we were saying Luke Leary deserved to die

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sick Twitter User (@Rileyy_69) 23 database queries in 0.0175579 seconds