corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Another new fish tank thread ;-)

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another new fish tank thread ;-)
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
20th Sep 12 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also started tidying up the AV system and have almost finished the floor now too.

AndyKent

20th Sep 12 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dread to think of your electricity bill
Simon

22nd Sep 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Bet your leccy bill is shocking

The tank itself costs around £45 a week in electric but I make about that much selling the chaetomorpha algae from the sump on eBay so it pays for itself :-)
p

5th Oct 12 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any updates?
drunkenfool

10th Oct 12 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes :-)

My brand new 6 foot Vertex LED lighting unit arrived from Germany on Monday and the guys at SouthWestMarines in Bristol drove up to Hereford to drop it off yesterday! It's up above the tank already but not got any pics yet, but here's a video of a smaller version of it in demo mode on youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHo7LTgkbZ4

and the iphone app that lets you wireless control it;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBNL0o3Ekd0

I'm going to add a few UV LED modules between the main ones quite soon, but I'm so, so pleased with it already! You can even link it to a certain place on earth and it will simulate the weather there in real time (i.e. light intensity, clouds, sunrise, sunset, moon cycles etc.)

I've had to move on the Moorish Idol as he completely decimated the Acanthophyllia coral one weekend when I went away, and I came back to find almost a bare skeleton with a few specs of flesh left between the ridges. Miraculously though it survived and has started to reveove really well, so all is not lost :-)

I also got a lovely new trachyphyllia

A torch coral with fluorescent green tips (this pic was taken before fitting the new LED unit, the colours now are much better)

I've got quite a few fish currently being held for me too at SWM, including;

This particular Quoyi Parrotfish (the only reefsafe one there is)

A yellow tail fang blenny

A purple tilefish

10 of these Allen's damsels to add to the 3 that we already have - they should make a nice shoal!

and the longhorn cowfish that I've wanted for ages. My gran is getting it for me for my birthday at the end of the month :-D

drunkenfool

10th Oct 12 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also almost finished the cladding around the tank above and below;

The top row of 'tiles' on the base of the tank are only fixed temporarily though because they need to be cut to size, and we are going to get the suppliers to do it for us with the proper equipment so they can do a neat job of it.

[Edited on 10-10-2012 by drunkenfool]
WATSON

10th Oct 12 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been keeping an eye on your thread on UR Them damsels look ace never seen them before!
drunkenfool

10th Oct 12 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are the least aggressive of the Damsels, they shoal well and are only about a fiver each :-)
p

13th Oct 12 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice update man
drunkenfool

26th Oct 12 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought it was time for another small update - no huge changes but I've acquired two new corals (a huge lobophyllia that I'm incredibly pleased with and a deep water blue tipped acro), as well as the Quoyi's Parrotfish that has been in quarantine at SWM for me. Here's a few photos for now as I am off for the weekend now for my 28th birthday weekend :-)

[Edited on 26-10-2012 by drunkenfool]
Aaron

26th Oct 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thread needs bigger pictures tbh
Ben G

26th Oct 12 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those pictures hurt my eyes!
drunkenfool

26th Oct 12 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better? :-)
drunkenfool

20th Nov 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's a couple of better shots of the tank and cladding in the daytime, it's all finished now apart from a thin strip that will need to be cut and fitted along the very top of the tank to bridge the small gap there, and the top row of cladding on the base isn't bonded on yet either as it all needs to have about an inch cut off it and then a slate ledge made to go around it;

Floor recessed ready for the DMX controlled colour changing LED strips, and the wiring in place ready to connect them up.

I've also got a new more new corals and 7 new fish - 2x Blue Cheek Gobies, 4x Yellow Bean Gobies and 1x Juvenile Powder Blue Tang. I've wanted a powder blue tang since day one of keeping marines and have been deliberating it for the last few years due to obvious ws issues, but I finally decided to take the plunge on the weekend and bought a juvenile from the LFS in Cheltenham.

Here is one of the 4 Yellow Bean Gobies, that is about the maximum size they get but they have got very interesting characters!

Some of the new corals

A bad photo of one of the Blue Cheek Gobies

and lastly a (poor again, sorry!) photo of the Powder Blue Tang. Such a beautiful fish :-)

[Edited on 20-11-2012 by drunkenfool]
chloe16v

24th Nov 12 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was reading your thread on ur the other day, we have just got a 4x2x2, hoping to get it wet next week, just waiting for heater and wave maker to be delivered an need more ro pipe and a non-return valve
chloe16v

24th Nov 12 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how you getting on with the blue cheek? does he throw sand over the corals? really like the sand sifters but worried about corals getting covered
drunkenfool

26th Nov 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chloe, I put this post up on there a few days ago about the Blue Cheek Gobies, along with a youtube clip of them 'in action';

For anyone asking about the gobies making sandstorms in the tank, I've taken a quick video of one of them so you can see how much 'mess' they make - there's no sand at all really put into the water column, it's just where the sand falls that could be a slight 'problem' but as yet hasn't been an issue;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2tae7LsXbU
chloe16v

27th Nov 12 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what size sand is that your using?
CORSA NUT

6th Dec 12 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This looks absolutely amazing well done

Can I ask a stupid question? Do you actually need to physically clean it ever? Or is it just done by all the fancy pumps ect?

Also did you give the set up its own electrical RCD protected circuit? I'd imagine it would need its own board etc but without knowing the ampages involved I couldn't guess. Excuse me if you've already answered these questions in the thread
chloe16v

7th Dec 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to do at least a 10% water change ever couple of weeks an make sure all levels are ok but apart from that they look after them selves
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 12 at 07:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens if you get a powercut?
drunkenfool

21st Dec 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chloe16v
you need to do at least a 10% water change ever couple of weeks an make sure all levels are ok but apart from that they look after them selves

As well as washing filter floss ( I bought a second washing machine solely or this purpose though), cleaning the glass, cleaning skimmer cup, changing carbon, phosphate media, calcium media, RO membranes, DI resin etc etc :-)
drunkenfool

21st Dec 12 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
What happens if you get a powercut?

We've got a generator being installed next week :-)
drunkenfool

21st Dec 12 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
This looks absolutely amazing well done

Can I ask a stupid question? Do you actually need to physically clean it ever? Or is it just done by all the fancy pumps ect?

Also did you give the set up its own electrical RCD protected circuit? I'd imagine it would need its own board etc but without knowing the ampages involved I couldn't guess. Excuse me if you've already answered these questions in the thread

We already had a 45 amp spur out to the garage so the computer and majority of equipment is running off that, then the lights and power heads are running from inside the house.
CORSA NUT

24th Dec 12 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arrr cool

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll