corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Another new fish tank thread ;-)

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another new fish tank thread ;-)
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jul 13 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just awesome Matt
p

3rd Jul 13 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much spent in total on it?

Ever watched Tanked?
drunkenfool

3rd Jul 13 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stopped counting at £30,000 but I'd have a rough guess at around £35k. Yes I do watch tanked and fish tank kings, both are entertaining programs but I hate the fact that it's all fake corals etc aside from the one tank they did for a guy who already had a live coral tank and they they spent half tge episode trying to to talk him out of iit
Haimsey
Premium Member

3rd Jul 13 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a triple take at the last picture convincing myself i could see a face....then realised it was the projector behind it

Tank looks fab!

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
drunkenfool

3rd Jul 13 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tonight's progress of cladding :-)

We've run out now though until Friday!

[Edited on 03-07-2013 by drunkenfool]
nathy_87

5th Jul 13 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Haimsey
Did a triple take at the last picture convincing myself i could see a face....then realised it was the projector behind it

I see it.
baza31

5th Jul 13 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

35k for a fish tank jesus. A retaurant i worked in had a huge tank maybe 8ft x8ft x2ft full with small jelly fish . All neon lights , that cost them 5k but looked really really good. Ill try get a pic next time i go
chloe16v

22nd Jul 13 at 05:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hows the aip problem? i have a massive outbreak, have added 4 nudis but havent seen them since, lost a couple of corals that were stung thinking of stripping the tank and housing fish and corals in my clown breeding tank and throwing the rock, cleaning everything down to get rid of spores then starting again, just dont want to loose any stock doing it though especially my flaming scooters
drunkenfool

22nd Jul 13 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting there slowly with the aips, although I'm almost positive that the filefish has destroyed the £400 acanthophyllia so he will be going in the fish trap very soon! I added 6 berghias a few months back now and didn't see any for ages but then saw a huge adult one crawling across the glass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue1_BTQRTe4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUpKCBmIGcsZ_COa9VTTCamA) so they are definitely eating them and growing. There are huge patches of the tank now that are 100% aip free, but other patches are like mini forests still so I guess it's just a case of waiting for them to do their thing! I've also used 3 whole big bottles of Aiptasia X over the last 2 months trying to also kill as many as I can, and I've got 6 peppermint shrimp in there too. The aips are still damaging some of the corals though, I've lost a small colony of trumpet coral and the lowest polyps of a big lobo colony that are closest to the live rock have also been damaged
p

22nd Jul 13 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With regards to Tanked.... Why do they do the plastic stuff? Surely when you spend so much money you want real moving coral type things (or whatever it is)
drunkenfool

22nd Jul 13 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cost for one (I've spent at least £5k just on livestock on top of the tank buikd), compatibility for another thing (ie you don't have to worry about which fish will and won't be compatible with the corals so you get more choice of inhabitants ), and mostly i woukd say the level of care needed to look after live corals (and again the associated coste) with all of the regular testing, equipment and supplementation you need to do. Most people just wouldn't have the dedication that is needed to sustain a live reef and for 20% of the effort you can get something that looks aha out 50% as good. Tbf though it is much bigger in America than here as we Brits are a bit more demanding and don't put up with cheap imitation shit as the plastic fantastic Americans do lol
p

24th Jul 13 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
Cost for one (I've spent at least £5k just on livestock on top of the tank buikd), compatibility for another thing (ie you don't have to worry about which fish will and won't be compatible with the corals so you get more choice of inhabitants ), and mostly i woukd say the level of care needed to look after live corals (and again the associated coste) with all of the regular testing, equipment and supplementation you need to do. Most people just wouldn't have the dedication that is needed to sustain a live reef and for 20% of the effort you can get something that looks aha out 50% as good. Tbf though it is much bigger in America than here as we Brits are a bit more demanding and don't put up with cheap imitation shit as the plastic fantastic Americans do lol

Fair play!

Not sure I'd like all the plastic. Either you go for a full on amazing tank or don't bother.
whitter45

24th Jul 13 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so so good - fair play
drunkenfool

4th Aug 13 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time for another small update after the weekend's purchases :-)

I drove down to a small shop in Chippenham (not sure if they are a sponsor or not so won't mention who just in case!) and picked up another 6 corals from there, and swung by SouthWest Marines on the way back to pick up the green plating monti that I left there by accident last time I was down. What should have been a 1.5 hour trip there took almost 3 hours due to not one, but two accidents en route. Still, wasn't too bad a day :-)

Here are the new purchases;

lastly (awful photo I know but it's the only one that I have!) I got a red dragon colony but the flesh has started stripping off the base of it already and it only went in yesterday :-( I'm thinking that maybe the lights damaged it while it was floating in the bag acclimatising so it's now right down on the sand to see if it recovers, but I'm not too hopeful :-(

I also got 5 blue reef chromis from SWM, which grow quite a big bigger than the usual blue green chromis (around 5")

The pink stylophora that I got two weeks ago

One of the branching monti frags that went in a few months ago (which I've photographed before) All the vertical bit is new growth, and the tip is now splitting into three :-) Also the plating monti in the background is the new one from SWM.

The purple stylo frag that I bought about two months ago. Origianlly I had it too high up in the tank and it started to burn, so I moved it back down and it has recovered well and has just been mounted into its permanent location.

My Powder Blue Tang is growing nicely

and the Naso and Atlantic Blue are pretty much at full adult size now

Slightly better shot of the new clam

A photo of a seemingly random bit of rock, but I just wanted to show that the algae and aiptasia problem are both slowly getting better, which is very promising!

I've got the lights turning on an hour later and off an hour earlier, and dropped the max output to 85% now which seems to have made a huge difference.

and lastly, the most recent full tank shot :-D

[Edited on 04-08-2013 by drunkenfool]
Ben J

4th Aug 13 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Clam" teehee
drunkenfool

4th Aug 13 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Latest video here too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FSQbwf_KbQ

Also clam in Spanish (almeja) is a very colloquial and commonly used euphanism :-)

[Edited on 05-08-2013 by drunkenfool]
p

8th Aug 13 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
Latest video here too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FSQbwf_KbQ

Also clam in Spanish (almeja) is a very colloquial and commonly used euphanism :-)

[Edited on 05-08-2013 by drunkenfool]

Fantastic
drunkenfool

25th Aug 13 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One small update - I bought another 3 corals today and 2 frags, including this Stgrawberry Shortcake coral which is pretty rare. I'll get the rest of the pics up tomorrow hopefully :-)

nathy_87

26th Aug 13 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That cowfish loves the camera.

[Edited on 26-08-2013 by nathy_87]
drunkenfool

15th Feb 14 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just in case anyone was still following this and the pond thread, there have been quite a few updates to this including buying another 6 tanks. Pics and writeup to follow :-)
Gary
Premium Member

16th Feb 14 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6! You'll have more fish than the sea life Centre before long!
drunkenfool

18th Feb 14 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the system that I picked up on the weekend;

4 tanks, 2 of them are 4'x2'x1' and two are 4'2'1.5'. The plan is to use one as a frag tank, one for breeding berghia nudibranch, one for keeping premixed salt water in case it's needed/water changes, and one for something else but not yet decided! The auction also included a proper glass RO reservoir which I am currently having a stand made for to replace my shoddy plastic bucket, and the guy also chucked in 2 more tanks for free. Once of them has already been set up (albeit temporarily) for housing a peacock mantis shrimp as I've always wanted one (quick video here; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152206789021602&l=6649319325295188357) and the other one will possibly be used for breeding anemone, as mine has just split again :-)

I need to get some more general photos, which I hope to do before the weekend, but he's a random shot of a nice Pectinia I picked up a couple of weeks ago;

I've lost a couple of smaller SPS due to the fact that some of the larger ones have grown so much that they were shading the ones below. While the spread of light from the Vertex LED unit is fantastic and was more than enough to light the whole tank, now the ones higher up have grown it has become a bit of a problem so I have two 4 tube 4' units supplementing the Vertex, just on a simple on/off timer on for 5 hours a day. They only went up on the weekend though so I'm yet to see if I can grow SPS right down the sides of the bommies now, but fingers crossed :-)

On the downside, still battling with a bad aiptasia problem, although that's half of the reason for wanting to breed berghias so hopefully I can start to get on top of that again soon! :-)
drunkenfool

18th Feb 14 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also just bought this Acropora Humilis this morning, hopefully picking it up next weekend. It was only yesterday that I told Matt @ SWM that I wanted a bright blue coral , and the this one came in today - must be fate! :-)

Lights off

Lights on
p

24th Feb 14 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been wondering where you've been hiding^

Looks good!

<<  7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll