corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » tropical fish tanks

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author tropical fish tanks
fresh_creps

User status: Offline
17th Mar 07 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure if this is in the right section but here goes anyways...

basically i'm wanting to get some tropical fish soon to make my room more interesting (inspired from deuce bigalo....although not that bigger tank lol), but i've no idea what to get atm.

obviously once i'm in the shop i'll ask about stuff but just wanted to get a general idea about what i need,how to look after them etc as i know a few of you have them.

How are tropical fish tanks and normal fish tanks different?could i just geta normal fish tank and add the stuff to it thats needed?what are the fish like to look after and would i need to clean the tank regularly?

any info would be much appreciated cheers!
Cosmo

17th Mar 07 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tropical tanks are heated freshwater tanks, so you can have the better looking and brighter fish from tropical climates...obviously.

For a basic set up you'll need...a tank (size is dependent on what fish you want, numbers and size of room!), a decent filter (internal for smaller tank, external for bigger tanks), heater and lighting. And then obviously whatever decorations you want (sand/gravel/slate/large stones, fake/real plants, drift wood, etc.), and whatever fish you decide to go for. The tanks are the same for cold water as for tropical other than the addition of the heater...for salt water its totally different again and a bit harder.

Cleaning for me normally consists of a water change once or twice a week (around 10-15% each time) and then syphoning all the shite off the bottom once a week during the water change (due to the position of my filter outlet it all collects in one point so is easy).

As for some quick tips...

- Go for some easy/cheap tropical fish at first, as being your first time keeping them you might make mistakes and kill a few...its best these arent £20+ fish!!

- MAKE SURE YOU CYCLE THE TANK FIRST. In other words, buy all the equipment and set it up, leave the filter running on an empty tank with some sort of ammonia source (I use a few prawns you can buy in frozen packs from a supermarket) for a week or two. THEN buy your fish. If you dont do this then you'll probably find your filters wont be able to filter the waste your fish make, ammonia will build up in the tank and they will die!!

- Get as good a filter as you can for the tank.

- Dont leave water changes for more than a few weeks as again ammonia will start to build up.
fresh_creps

17th Mar 07 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers cosmo,very useful info there will keep it all in mind when i'm getting all the stuff.

i'll post pics eventually when its done!
Cosmo

17th Mar 07 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs, Im sure there are pics of my tanks knocking about somewhere. Will give it a tidy up and get some new ones later in the week.
fresh_creps

17th Mar 07 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one,be interesting to see.

me and my mate went looking round a few different places yesterday and some of the fish tanks are got me seriously excited bout getting a nice tank in my room

couple pics i took

and the coolest of them all...
shawboy

17th Mar 07 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want 1 but my GF aint having none.
Russ

17th Mar 07 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

discus are lovely, as is lionfish, i might sell all my fish stuff apart from my tank and change o marine when i move house.
Forever_Hatter

17th Mar 07 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fresh_creps....You been over to Henlow Japanese Koi company? Got a great selection of fish over there (ie Marines,Tropicals and Cold water)

Just see your local
fresh_creps

17th Mar 07 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Forever_Hatter
Fresh_creps....You been over to Henlow Japanese Koi company? Got a great selection of fish over there (ie Marines,Tropicals and Cold water)

Just see your local

naa don't think so,been to a few places like that though,but i'll def check it out thanks
Ally

17th Mar 07 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.fishforums.net

Go for tropical, check out that forum as its very useful

Remeber to cycle the tank, and only mix fish who will go together...
Russ

18th Mar 07 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ally
www.fishforums.net

Go for tropical, check out that forum as its very useful

Remeber to cycle the tank, and only mix fish who will go together...
easiest way to check if fish go together is to put them with each other, i have parrots, tinfoil barbs etc etc in with an oscar, hes a greddy cunt but doesnt bother any of them, although i was told they would "kill each other"
fresh_creps

18th Mar 07 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers ally i'll check it out

yee i'm probs gonna lose a few fish when i start lol, theres so many different ones i want and i know they aint all gonna get along with each other!

saw a propa nemo jobby in 1 tank, 2 clown fish swimming through their big ol' anemonmy (sp) lol
Russ

18th Mar 07 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there marine. to start with, ask yourself what sort of fish you want? little shitty ones, or big ones, i wasted loads of money on little shitty ones, bought some big ones and they were all raped and eaten.
fresh_creps

18th Mar 07 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol oh... ah right,see i have no idea what fish are what so i duno what i want realy!just want some nice looking fish, bright colours,unusual ones etc ,would well like some clown fish but duno what else would go.

atm would probably go for lots of little fish rather than 1 or 2 big fish, lion fish is cool as feck but heard they need a huge tank and don't realy get on with many other fish
Cosmo

18th Mar 07 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clown fish are marine, so your going to be looking at a lot more time and money setting the tank up and maintaining it...and also A LOT more to go wrong.

For your first tank I would personally say go with tropicals of some sort, just while you get used to it and the routine you have to have for looking after them.
Russ

18th Mar 07 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want colourful tropical fish, go for tetras, guppies, mollies etc there little shitty things, but look nice. tropical fish arent really that colourful. marine are far prettier to look at, but like craig said, reet pain the tits to set up, look after
Russ

18th Mar 07 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fresh_creps

18th Mar 07 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm valid points cosmo and russ,guess i'll start out with some tropical fish to see how i get on with before i decide to blow my load (excuse the pun) on getting far more expensive fish
Russ

18th Mar 07 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all you need mate, is a good size tank, best to go for the biggest you can a)afford b)fit. bigger tanks are easier to look after than small ones. get a good internal filter, fluval or the like, good heater with thermostat and thermometer for the tank. gravel, bit of bog wood and a few plants if you like. get something like Zebra Danios first, 10 of them will cost you no more tan a tenner, hardy as fuck can acutally live as cold water fish there so tuff, test your water every week for 2 months, you'll have no amonia no nitrate and no nitrite. then your amonia will start, then your nitrate, then fianlly your nitrite will kick in and settle your water, then take your fish back to your local shop, trade them in for something you like, but dont overfill your tank too fast as your amonia will spike again. bigger tanks take lonker to get water ready, but are much easier in the long run. then you will need to buy some chlorine killer, aquasafe or something like that. replace about 10% of your water a week AFTER ITS CYCLED NOT WHILE CYCLING as you will fuck up the whole thing. and add the chlorine killer to the water you are adding. er think thats it to get you started anyway. quite a few chaps on here who know there stuff so all will help you, but you pick it up right away, give it a few months and you'll answer all your own questions.
fresh_creps

18th Mar 07 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds quite complicated....fuk this

lol just kiddin,will just be something i have to get used to and learn i guess. quite excited bout getting the stuff! just waiting for some £££ really and i can get started.

what kinda places you get all your stuff from?anywhere on the net or you just go to your local aquarium type shops?
Russ

18th Mar 07 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trusted ebay sellers, lfs, depends. aslong as your buying decent brands you cant loose, i got my 350quid tank for 50quid on ebay, 3 months old and hed kept tropical fish so filters were already mature
fresh_creps

18th Mar 07 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
trusted ebay sellers, lfs, depends. aslong as your buying decent brands you cant loose, i got my 350quid tank for 50quid on ebay, 3 months old and hed kept tropical fish so filters were already mature

ye i was looking at tanks on ebay,some quite cheap 1's. i'll probs go for one off there or my mate might be able 2 get me a decent one cos he's family friends with someone that owns a fishery type place, whats size is your tank?
Russ

18th Mar 07 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

240 litres, 48x18x18
Mather.16v

19th Mar 07 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I once saw an episode of planet earth, where the fresh water and salt water were clearly divided

I would like to create something similar, how much would I be looking at?
Cosmo

19th Mar 07 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you mean a tank with two different types of fish in it? Or two seperate tanks?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll