corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Headunit problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headunit problems
Simon

User status: Offline
24th Apr 03 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the first time ive ever done anything with my car, and am having problems with installing a new sony cdx mp40. Ive gone through the instructions that came with it and the tutorials and help other people have had from these forums and cant find an answer.

I want to be able to turn it on without having to turn to ignition first. Ive tried every combination of the red and yellow wires which are for continous live and switch between.

I understand that an M reg corsa 1.2 breeze does not have an acc position with the key so have set the wires how they say to in the instructions, but it still wont turn on without turning to ignition first

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

first post and first mistake, think should be in ICE and electrics section, sorry

[Edited on 24-04-2003 by safe_si]
3CorsaMeal

24th Apr 03 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

join the red and yellow from headunit and connect to the cars live!
Corsa^Dan

24th Apr 03 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn the key on then turn it bk, i cant turn mine on without the key been tunrned once. not a big prob, the way rnd it is 2 run a sep live fomr the battery too the h/u jsut remember too hold the off butotn or turn the "demo" thingy off
Simon

24th Apr 03 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK this is a photo of waht ive got, the red and yellow both from the head unit cant connect because they are both male connectors, or am i
understanding it wrong?

This is how ive got it connected
3CorsaMeal

24th Apr 03 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ripped the connectors off and connected em to the red one i think....

My headunit has constant power, can turn it on without key in ignition.....think the yellow is the ignition live..

[Edited on 24-04-2003 by 3CorsaMeal]
Gambit

24th Apr 03 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the wee yellow out of the big yellow (leave the wee red in) & put the wee yellow into the other red wire that is beside the big yellow
Simon

24th Apr 03 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

My headunit has constant power, can turn it on without key in ignition.....think the yellow is the ignition live..

Is that a definate think??

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
take the wee yellow out of the big yellow (leave the wee red in) & put the wee yellow into the other red wire that is beside the big yellow

Ive tried that layout and it didnt work
3CorsaMeal

24th Apr 03 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't go doing it yet.....just in case,,, i looked at the wiring diagrams from the haynes when i did mine.

I could check for u and get a pic of mine, but it will be tomorrow, cos i going home soon.
Gambit

24th Apr 03 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by safe_si
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

Is that a definate think??

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit

Ive tried that layout and it didnt work

are you still trying it with the ignition of though? u need to make sure you have it turned one click
Simon

24th Apr 03 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3corsameal, that would help alot if you could do that.

Gambit, did try that with each different layout of wires i did.
Simon

25th Apr 03 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had to change the layout back to the two red wires connected and the two yellow wires because using the above setup everytime i replaced the face plate on the headunit all settings were reset.

I still ahve to turn to ignition first, so if anyone else can help out in the meantime

3CorsaMeal

25th Apr 03 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just took headunit out................. it was messy, should really think about re wiring it all...

I have got the red and yellow from headunit joined together, and red and yellow from car joined together, then connected both of em....
Simon

25th Apr 03 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, have got to go to work now but will take a look this evening
DIGGIDY

25th Apr 03 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you'll find the yellow wire is the permanate live...

best get a volt meter or a 12v lightbulb with a spare piece of wire. connect one end to the cars yellow and ground the other to the car body somewhere...

if it lights up without the keys in the ignition then this should be the permante live, now turn the key and start the engine to make sure it does not switch the lightbulb off.

if this is the correct wire then wire both red and yellow wires from the headunit to the cars yellow(permanant live)

this should sort you out... but before you try this, lay off those dog ends in your ashtray.
dannycorsa c

25th Apr 03 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are they joint stubbs i see before my eyes!! oh an that wiring is an aborton get it rewired before ur car set on fire.
Simon

25th Apr 03 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the photos and help guys, ive sorted the problem, i joined the red and yellow from the head unit to the red from the car and its all working fine!

Cheers for the quick responses, will stick around the site, seem a freindly and helpful bunch!

You really should tidy up those wires haha

3CorsaMeal

28th Apr 03 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes they r joints stubs and no i don't need to re wire it, all connectors r safe and well secured, got no bare wires, just looks messy

Had probs with the ISO thingy and cut it up...

New Poll