corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
7th Dec 11 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few pictures of the car at the show thanks to who ever took them :beer:

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 of my 4 drag run video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXkOCGethq8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2cXYf5KmT0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHv97IYvjUw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well finaly got round to whipping off the exhaust manifold as it started to blow after my 3rd go up the strip at PVS and i did intend on fixing it on the sunday but cause the weather was so wank i blanked it, still managed to get a proper gasket off steveboyslim so big thanks for that mate :thumb:

Only a fiver more than the shitty pattern one but the quality is miles better so a lesson learnt on my behalf as i knew it wasn't the best when fitting it

As you can see i have burnt through the old one as i drove it back from PVS to Coventry and then down to work in Plymouth

It's warped the flange slightly on the manifold as a result so will take that to get skimmed before i refit

Also noticed a bolt missing from my engine mount and the other two were working there way loose so must not of lock tighted them :cry:

As it stands now ready for a breif tidy up and re fit
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well not had much chance to touch the car really been busy doing inlets, sumps etc but thought i'd at least do something on it just to keep it ticking over as TVL is looming and i have no chance of making Billing now tbh :cry:

I had found my oil catch tank was too small and once over half way would preasurise when booting it causing my bay to get drench in oil :cry:

Had Rob's old one that he gave me so set about modding it to suit my requirements, moved the in feed round the other side and started welding up the spare holes

All ground down and gave it a quick polish and re assembled, will mod the mounting points possibly to suit it's new location

Other bits that have turned up was these off Fenny, new tie bar mounts as mine are shagged and iirc the last set of new gsi jacking covers from vauxhall he sent them to me in April and i got them about 2 weeks ago as my worked decided to send them out to Afghanistan thinking i was there msl: So sandblasted the mounts and gave them a quick coat of anti rust and then hammerited them, will press the polybushes in when i whip the old set off

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided to treat my car to a spare hour today just to try and chip away at some of the small jobs, removed discs so i can give them a quick skim as i have a slight warp in them due to the fact my rear brakes seem to just be doing the bare minimal braking so fronts have took the brunt

While it was up in the air i decided to remove the old knakered tie bar mounts and remove the bushes and re fit them into the new freshly painted ones

re fitted them back up, gonna look at making myself some adjustable rose jointed ones at a later date as although they do the job there is more scope for fine tuning with adjustable ones

Also replaced the missing bolt in my engine mount and thread locked them in this time as i don't need them going walkies again

As it stands now looking sorry for itself, just waiting on the manifold to be skimmed and a heat sleave for the oil pipe and then i'll re assemble it ready for mapping session 2 :clap:

Also thanks to Chip for having my car in his staff car write up even if he did include that gay photo of me msl: :cry:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my manifold back today from being skimmed big thanks to Sam Brown engineering in plymouth as he did it for free for me cause i was in the Forces :clap: I also gave the front brakes a light skim as i'd slightly warped them

Re fitted the manifold and gave the block a lick of paint while i could get to it just to freshen it up a bit

Also gave the AP's a quick paint to tidy them up, have got new high temp stickers to go on as well once there dry, planning on getting them powder coated come the winter time so will do for now

Just waiting on my heat sleeve to turn up for my oil feed and then i can get it fully assembled again ready for some more mapping
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well finally got round to getting my hands on car again been on inlet duty for a while now, few recents:

Set about getting the manifold back on and making a few improvements as well to help with heat etc first was to add so heat sleeve to the oil feed pipe as it sits close to the turbo and manifold and I've had one melt on my old engine before so didn't want to risk it again, it's a bit baggy as it had to go over the 90 degree bend on the fitting and the smaller stuff didn't fit, also the wastegate pipe had started to melt the intake pipe so some heat reflective tape was added to prevent this

Bought a cool running thermostat at PVS had to mod the top locating pin slightly as it didn't allow the sealing face far enough down, also used a spare housing as mine had corroded inside so gave it a quick sandblast and a squirt of sealant for good measure

Managed to find the part number for this on the military system so re wrapped the pipe going to the thermostat

Put the new stickers on the AP's

And set about sorting oil catch tank as mine seemed to get pressurised and once over half full spray oil all over my bay :cry: Cut the wings off the spare and re welded a new bracket on so I could mount it to the underside of the wing, added riv nuts to aid quick fitting/release

All fitted, blanked off the small breather

Looks a bit more cluttered but works so tuff

Also took my fan apart and turns out my fan blade was on wrong for what I was using it for as when I had it blowing it wasn't the best so flipped the fan blades around and it's so much better so I'm sure this will cure my problems as I had the car running for about 20 minutes on the spot and no over heating so that's a result
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get some time on the car finally been busy making stuff for everyone's else's as usual and time is ticking and I don't want to miss another track day :cry:

After using the car for about 2K miles now I have come across a few small problems, I've been getting oil squirting into the bay from the catch tank breather I thought it was because of the size so I replaced it with a bigger one but I still have that problem so I've decided to put the rocker cover splash plate back in so I did the breather mod on it so hopefully this will solve that problem

Then after going out on track in Ash's corsa I noticed he was struggling getting gears once he was coming off track due to the heat in the gearbox and lack of decent breather so set about modifying mine, this is it as standard

So I chopped the top off and welded a bigger pipe on top so that the filter I had could fit on

Then I drilled it out to 9mm

And finally fitted it and added filter to it, will probably confuse a lot of people when they look at it msl:

Also raised the rear coilovers up by 12mm to buy me some extra clearance as it's fine 2 up but as soon as I put the camping stuff in the back it scrubbed on every bump so had to be done

Also sorted my gear linkage out as it was really sloppy, put new bushes in and new ball joints, I also added a washer to the inside where the pin goes through and this spaced out the part which fits into the bracket on gearbox mount it's harder to slide in but once the pin is in and other end connected the linkage is solid with no play at all and is as good as my astra coupes so well happy with that :thumb:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna try and have a big push on the car over the next couple of weeks as I'm sick of not being able to use it in anger on track due to suspension and rear brakes letting me down

Bought myself some 350lb 9" 2 1/4" ID springs as mine were coil bound and no where near up to the extra weight and would bottom out on bumps :cry:

The size difference is amazing just shows how under spec'd the old standard ones are

Had to wind the adjuster collar all the way down due to the extra length

All fitted and wheel fouls the spring and platform due to it being now in a different position :cry: So measured up and a 6mm spacer will solve my problem so ordered them last night, haven't been able to go for a drive yet but I'm confident that's cured the bottoming out problem may buy some 8" ones as these sit about 1 1/2" above tyre so 8" would be better suited but that can wait till the winter tbh
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got more done last night and slowly getting through the list of "to do" jobs, first up was the simple task of topping up the gearbox oil, wrong Bloody level plug rounded off and didn't want to come out, so got the chisel out and showed it who's boss Once off decided to weld a 19mm nut on so will never have that problem again

Cleaned all the CV grease out the bay that had been spat out so re packed them and swapped all clips for jubilees.

Took the rear brake discs off as they were pitted with rust as they have mainly been sat for the last year so gave them a light skim as they were new discs so had plenty of meat on them

De glazed the handbrake shoes as they weren't looking the best after the first mapping session where I had no brakes and had to use the handbrake to slow down
Cleaned the drum face out as well and de glazed the rear pads, re assembled and gave it a fresh lick of paint for good measure
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the car in the workshop again last night just to keep ticking away at the little jobs that need doing. The wideband sensor has died a death since being on this turbo so will order a new one in, bought a new boss and welded it in further back down the downpipe so shouldn't happen again, have bunged it for now. While I was at it I decided to heat wrap the rest of the front section of the exhaust as I had melted one of the old cv gaitors

Adjusted the handbrake on both sides as it was uneven and bleed the rear brakes, used our new bleed kit an it's awesome, connect it up and turn it on and it pressurised the lines so I could check for any leaks and then get underneath and bleed the brakes as well, saved me so much time

Also added some more graphics to the back windows, each sticker adds at least 10bhp :thumb:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a play with the pedal box again last night altered a few bits and I'm pleased to report I know have fully working back brakes now :clap:
On max I can lock all 4 wheels up now so with some adjusting and many laps of the yard I de tuned them slightly and now just use the wilwood bias valve in the car to adjust the rears, stops really well now
Also the front springs have transformed the car and makes it much better to drive so really chuffed
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few purchases of late, had a random pm off Corsadonk to see if I wanted to have his never fitted GRP front wings after having a look at the pictures he sent I was impressed with the quality so had them off him, they weigh 1.3kg without the plastic arch trim on so I would say 1.5kg with, which is more than half the weight of a steel one so a good 3kg weight saving, every little counts I suppose Won't be fitting these until the winter time when the car goes on a massive diet

Also spotted this for sale at a sensible price so thought it rude not to buy as will aid further on the heat reduction on track and was cheaper than me making my own from scratch

Also spent over £90 on 8 litres of oil :cry: And that's with discount Bought Motul 300V 15W/50 so oil change and sump seal up is on the cards before it's track outing
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My bells arrived today ordered these from Rally designs and there the univ15 which have a offset range between 10-20mm depending on how much you machine out

Was hoping they would have a simular BCD to the Reyland ones but they don't and infact are the same as my others which are a 7" BCD :cry:
Never mind as I still want to illiminate the use for a hubcentric spacer behind the disc so I will be able to machine these to suit my needs

So this means I can't use the MGTF 160 Trophy discs which are 305mm and are £68 a pair delivered, instead I will now have to run the Wilwood ultra light discs which are £142.80 without delivery :cry: These are 309.6mm which I'm hoping will still fit inside my calipers but worst case some material will be removed from the calipers or the discs, won't know until I've ordered them though
New discs are a simular design to my original ones but without all the holes

Got the grinder out and chopped all the lugs off the radiator so that it will fit perfect as mine sits no where near the standard position so have to be removed
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small update, starting to get my arse in gear ready for the looming track day, oil turned up, must be awesome as it has "Motorsport" in the title msl:

Will get a filter and drop the sump off to sort the leak out cause at £70 a oil change I don't want to be losing any

Went for a quick spin this morning and the tracking felt out still and it was raging me around the road so came back and got the wheel alignment gauges out to do it properly this time

Set it up to run 0.5 degree toe out as a starting point and may go up to 1 degree just to see what difference it makes, used it round the yard at speed and it felt good so happy with that
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few niggly jobs cleaned up one was the oil filler cap was leaking so went to halfords and bought a new cap just so i could use the new rubber

Have also had a leaking sump since the new block and head went in so drained the oil and flushed it through for 10 minutes with some oil from work, then whipped the sump, windage plate and pick up pipe off and cleaned it all up, while it was off i thought i'd double check how close the pickup pipe was to the sump base, put it on my mock up engine and turns out it was way off (i didn't make it) so a quick bit of cutting and re welding and it was as it should be

Before:

After:

While it was out a blew through with the air line my oil pressure gauge feed pipe and was checking all oil related components as for some reason i have only been getting 40psi of oil pressure regardless of load or cold start, noticed this the last time i started it up so knew something was up everything seemed fine until i tried to get relief float out, it was stuck solid into the shut position I knew this was wrong as i've had the spare mock up one to bits and that glided out, finally got it out by using my scribe and hanging off it until it came out, you can clearly see the score marks on it which at the minute i have no idea why it has them or why it was stuck shut :dunno: Anyone got any ideas?????

So luckily for me i may have just found the cause before my pump failed and killed my engine (pumps done about 1500 miles tops and is a genuine GM Z20LET pump) I may be the first with this problem but i recommend everyone checks theres

Was getting late so called it a day but will clean the bore up with oiled up wet and dry and also give the float part a good smoothing and check for movement before reinstalling. Have used a small amout of sealent on the 8V gasket and sump so am letting that fully cure overnight before i top up with new oil tomorrow. Other small jobs have been to move the wideband sensor to its new location, still need to buy a new one though
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started putting the corsa back together today, re wrapped the top part of the down pipe as it has worn a hole through where the boost pipe crosses it so triple wrapped it in that place

Also cleaned up the relief valve with oiled up wet and dry to remove any score marks before re fitting, now glides up and down nicely. I took apart an old c20let/XE pump and checked to see if the relief valve was the same and it turns out they are so I will order a nylon one from SBD tomorrow just for piece of mind

Topped it up with the new oil and let it run up the oil pressure is back up to 65psi at cold idle and rises with load so chuffed about that i also have no leaks at all from the bottom end so that's a massive bonus :thumb:

On a down side though my V clamp joints still blow which is annoying as I've tried all sorts to prevent this with no joy :cry:
Also on it's last drive when I was giving it a bit of stick it started to miss fire so assumed I lost a plug again as it went into Subaru sounding mode again so nipped halfords and bought some more RST plugs

Replaced them and the battery as that was dead and still the same :cry:

Went to Robs to use his compression tester they all came back fine, have heathy spark and fuel so must have an air leak as my revs now sit at 1200-2500 so will whip the boost pipes off to check for split silicones or joins but will order a new inlet gasket as well as tbh that's the more likely cause I'd of thought
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New parts all ordered gonna get them all fitted up this week at work and hopefully car will be back up and running correctly

SBD nylon relief valve kit at a pull your pants down price of £70 delivered
Got two stickers with it so gotta be worth it

New wilwood ultra lite 309mm discs, inlet gasket and wideband Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Wideband sensor fitted and gauge now working as it should so happy days
Removed the fuel rail as I had got a random leak all of sudden and removed the inlet to find my leak, turns out the gasket was soaked in fuel and gone soft in the corner and under boost it blew a bit out :cry: Also two of the injector O rings had chewed themselfs up so replaced them as well

And the damage

Have re sealed the end of the fuel rail with fuel resistant sealer so had to leave that to dry before I start her up again
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fans turned up from Fenny

Gave them a good clean up and altered the wiring loom to suit and fitted up

Had to cut the headlight metal frames out as because of how my turbo sits it is further forward all cut out and fits perfect

All back together but can't drive the bloody thing as my injector O rings are pissing fuel :cry:
New ones are already on order so may look at modding the rail as there is no taper on it
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O rings have turned up so will fit tomorrow hopefully gonna see if i can put a taper on the fuel rail as it just seems to be chewing them up every time i re fit injectors as the holes are so tight :cry:

Also ordered a pair of 350lb 7" springs as the 9" are too long for my liking and i think even the 8" would leave me no adjustment for fine tuning the ride height so my own fault really

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start on making my new bells got them on the lathe and started turning down the edge lip to sit inside my disc, have done this as an interference fit so it's snug as when the alloy gets hot with braking it will expand and clamp itself to the disc adding etc strength

Then machined the middle out to fit my hub

I then used a spacer which acted as a template for the PCD for the wheel bolts/studs

And drilled

Once that was done I could fit it on and attach disc and work out what offset I need so that my calipers can fit over, so removed material from the inside to bring it in closer

Have managed to get one almost done but it's just a slow process as you can only remove so much material at a time :cry:

Also found out I need the slim head bolts to join the bells to the disc which I don't have so need to contact my nearest AP racing supplier to get some which I think is Roger Clark so will have a good nose around the gob stopper while I'm there
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also forgot to mention have spoke to the new editor of Total Vauxhall magazine and have arranged to have a feature done after the winter when I have the cage and seats in etc so chuffed with that makes all the hard work and set backs worth while
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well have been far to busy to get anything done lately so had chance tonight to have a mess with the car again, finished off bells and machined 4mm off the disc diameter as they were just slightly too big for the calipers so took them down to 305mm to match the old ones

Due to the offset i still need to take about 2mm off but don't want to take anymore off the bells so will machine it off the caliper mounting face instead as it's got plenty of meat on there and they'll fit perfect then, this is just to give you an idea of looks

Couldn't do anymore until the new slim headed cap headed bolts turn up so give them a quick buff msl:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few recent purchases:

Love the flocked look, so looking forward to getting my dash done to match

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.3132410 seconds