corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
7th Dec 11 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another update I've been a busy boy today got my tie bars done, ground the shoulder down by 15mm

then the OCD kicked in so I had to strip them back

then a fresh coat of smooth hamerite to finish them off, these are now ready to swap with the ones on the car now when I take the engine out in the next couple of weeks

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right update time, have been busy with work lately so have only just been able to get anything done, so made a start on finishing my second inlet as my TIG welder gave up on me so had to give my one to a customer, here's a few pics will be getting it sand and bead blasted very shortly

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright time for an update, been really busy with work lately, and other bits and bobs for other peoples cars so haven't had a lot of time for my own lately, but have been buying a few bits

equal length drive shaft, X20XEV coil pack, CTS and some V6 throttle bodie gaskets

also bought myself a new gearbox as the one I'm running at the moment has a few problems in that it hasn't got a diff and the large diff bearing has gone and it isn't mechanical, so after pricing up a new quaife with all bearings etc I found this for only a hundred odd quid more, it has a receipt from Regal for £2000 for supply and fit Quaife ATB with all new bearings, syncros and a full rebuild so basically a new box

Only problem had a small bit of the casing missing, not a problem, I just quickly welded a new bit in

and then ground it back, will do ain't gotta be perfect

then I had to paint it cause I'm a sucker for making stuff look good :cry:

will give it a final coat tomorrow

also got my new inlet back from the sandblasters has come up really nice will give it a coat of clear lacquer to stop it getting dirty

just need to get my arse in gear and get the old engine out now
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual I've been far to busy to be working on my car, what with doing inlets and re flanges etc but have managed to treat myself to a few bits, first up was a new engine stand 450kg for less than £50 delivered which I thought was a bargin

and then a sandblasting cabinet for £125 delivered which is another bargin as I was being charged £45 for an inlet to be blasted so already it has paid for itself as I've done 3 inlets this weekend just gone Can't believe I haven't bought one sooner to be honest, might make a better pick up pipe for it as the one with it only sucks from one end
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thought i'd do a bit of an update as its been a while :cry:

Been busy with work and other peoples projects so only small bit done to mine, started off buying a set of 4 yokohama A034's 195/50/R16's with 5mm tread for a bargin price of £80 :clap: he clearly didnt have a clue what he was selling msl:

Other things bought were a set of 6 pot WP pro brake kit, came with 288mm discs but were cracked between some of the holes so am looking to get some 310mm or simular from AP racing as it's only down the road from me and Rich has a couple of mates who work there, so he's managed to get me a free health check on the test rig :thumb:

I then spent the weekend before i went to America removing the engine out of my car with the help of Rich and Matt gay Williams so that they could have it for there car, it was an epic of a weekend stripping down 4 corsa's in total for parts etc

What a prick msl:

and the chuckle brothers in action

Bought some more manifold bits from Browney to replace the ones i used on Robs car ( you still owe me seaman )

And then got another bargin in a pair of Supertrapp 544-3003 bolt on exhaust silencers for £76 delivered :clap: these are about £125 each from Demon Tweeks and one has never been used and the other only once

I was really impressed by the supertrapp when i seen it in use on Chip's car at Castle Coombe, it really reduced the db's of the exhaust bringing it under the strict noise limit :thumb:

So jobs to do before i put my new engine in is too remove top part of the bulk head for better access, remove ABS pump and brake lines, fit new brake lines and top mounts, need this done before i move units at the begining of October, which gives me about 2 1/2-3 weeks once i get back off summer leave so need to get my finger out really msl:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few bits bought over the months:

Carlton oil cooler

And some bonnet lifters, also some free Saab equal length shafts, need a clean up but have good joints, drivers side is too short for a Vauxhall but passenger side is the same I think, so may use the joints as spares

The Saab units have a better end than the Vauxhall ones as they have a pinch nut and no split pin
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bored at work today so decided to make myself an alloy radiator, had a newish diesel one so decided to chop it up, the inlets/outlets are in different places but that don't matter, length wise the 16v is about 20mm longer, this is the diesel one

But the core of the diesel is 5mm thicker as you can see

So I chopped the ends off and cleaned it up

I then made an end piece and welded it together, not the nicest to weld

Will make the other side tomorrow and hopefully presures test it for leaks
dewismotorsport

Had a little laugh at myself for being a nob and not checking that the radiator is an actual 16v one, well it's not I can't remember what it's off as when I popped the bonnet on the corsa I thought how small the one in it looked and when I offered the diesel one up it was already a lot bigger with only one end cap on :cry:

The "REAL" 16v one is 60cm total length and the diesel with only one end cap on is 71cm, so with another end cap on will be 76cm and would fit in the bay but there would be no way I could fit my boost piping either side, and there's no way I'm re doing all that so will keep the end caps and buy a 16v radiator and do the same to that one
dewismotorsport

On a slightly better note I've finished my newest design inlet manifold, but sad thing is it's sold already so need to make another one for me :cry:

And once it's been sand blasted

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a good few sessions on the car lately and has made me find some much needed motivation to get it done, first off was to reassemble the engine ancillaries and put the flywheel, clutch and gearbox back on

Then decided to beef up the rear gearbox mount as I have the two bolt one and have seen them snap the gearbox casing so made up a strengthening plate

And then painted it and fitted it back on

Since the moment I put the engine in the first time I wished I'd ditched the ABS (I didn't last time as I was in a rush to get it ready for PVS), so this time I removed it fully, amazing how much the bad boy weighed, will re do all the brake lines at a later date when I have more time.
Here's my weight saving efforts for the day

I then set about the engine bay with the angle grinder as I have always wanted to remove the upper part of the bulk head as it's always just got in my way when trying to get around the back of the engine so I chopped it all out an re sealed along the edge

All that was left to do was give it a lick of paint, was only gonna do the bit I'd exposed but ended up doing 3/4's of the bay msl:

Still have ABS wiring loom and sensor wires to remove but can do that at a later date as I need to get the engine in tomorrow as I'm moving units down to Plymouth so need it in ASAP :cry:
Here she sits waiting for her new home, treated her to a touch up paint as some bits weren't as I wanted, as I like things to look new and clean when they go on my car :clap: probably OCD :help:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the good news is that the engine is in :clap:

and all back on the ground just need to put the brakes back on and fit the driveshafts before i move it down to Plymouth

Need to get the rocker cover and belt cover power coated white as i'm not a fan of the black in a black bay look
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to trial fit the brakes, need some spacers but should be alright

Want to get the 310mm discs as the 288mm discs are cracking in places :cry:

Also collected my GRP seats bought them on a whim for a bargin price of £51

All hooked up to the Calibra ready to be to towed down to Plymouth, note to self do not go over the mores again towing a car with a car with shut brakes :cry:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small update really, spent a few hours doing little jobs, first up was to remove the ABS wiring loom and sensors and just have a tidy up in the bay and fit bits and bobs like speedo cable and oil pressure sensor and sorting the power distrabution block and alarm, also welded a bolt to the bulkhead to bolt the earths to

then made a alloy plate to cover the pollen filter as i've removed the upper bulkhead so didn't want to use the big plastic cover to protect it from rain

re fitted the scuttle pannel and wiper so job done, just need to mount the header tank and i'm pretty much done with the shitty jobs
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

update time, had to make some spacers for the brake calipers to fit so gave them a quick coat of paint and fitted them

wheels fouled on the calipers so have spaced them for now with what spacers i have but could do with some 10mm ones as i don't want to grind the caliper back as there isn't a lot of meat to take off still need to get some new discs so will no doubt be going down the MG discs that Reyland use and use the lathe to turn the centres out and possibly turn down my bells too to get them sat nice

Found these in my workshop, look way better on my car than Rob's don't you think? msl:

as you can see i've cut my slam panel for easyer access to the turbo etc, i also made a start on my exhaust manifold, as i found out using the larger 42id pipe is a lot harder than using the 38id pipe as all your angles have to be tighter if you want to even get it close to a T3 flange :cry:

First up measured where my turbo (T3/T4) sat and tacked the flange in place so that i can build up from it, reason i've done this is for two reasons, reason 1 is that i can use my existing downpipe and not affect my boost pipes and reason 2 is that i had Rob's GT30 in the workshop and i am planning an upgrade to that in the near future so trial fitted that on the flange as well so that when i swap turbos in the future i don't have to re make the manifold, all i'll have to do is swap the flanges on my down pipe so will be a near enough straight swap

Then started the collector, this was a pain in the arse as i only had a angle grinder to cut and shape them, would of been so much easyer with a band saw as i could of made a jig up and got the same cut ever time

Gave them a quick tack and then welded them together, inside and out as i don't want it cracking

Half way through and the tig welder decided it didn't want to let me have the collet back and snaped of inside :hammer:
So with much swearing i attacked it with a drill and removed the bastard

So finished off and this is how it stands for tonight

Outside done and base flattened ready for welding to the T3 flange, will also use the die grinder inside to neaten it up a bit as it was really tight with the torch, could do with getting a smaller one really
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Continued on the manifold today, hardest part was working out which way to route the runners as you may get one to fit but then not get the other to run past, don't help as i bought the larger 42id pipe :frown:

Here's what i came up with

all tacked up and ready for welding

have to remove runners to allow better access to weld the joints, could of done with a lot smaller tig torch as i really struggled to get in between the runners to weld them

all welded up just need to add the wastegate pipe and tap the flange for the bolts and die grind the ports fully smooth

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then busy day again today, finishing off the manifold, first of all tapped out the T3 flange so i could fit some studs in as there is no chance of getting a nut on top

then cut the hole out for the external wastegate pipe, took seconds with the plasma, god i love that machine like a hot knife through butter :love2:

seemed to fit perfect

only once it was on the car, my T3/T4 turbo fitted perfect with the wastegate and screamer but then i realised the GT30 has a 1" larger inlet so would of been way too tight and also didn't leave me hardly any room for a radiator :cry: so had to nick the bit i used to do Rob's screamer pipe, as it was the only way i could mount the wastegate and screamer without it causing me massive space problems
GT30 Fitted, and fine for clearances

took it apart again to weld up all the joints and then finally welded it all together, finished article

Note to self: get tig welder serviced as it has an intermitant fault with the HF :cry:

Back on the car my turbo (T3/T4) temp bolted up, wastegate and screamer on and boost pipe just so i was 100% it all fitted up

All thats left to do is finish off smoothing in the ports as i only had a air drill with a carbide bit in and it don't spin fast enough so will see if one of the lads has got a die grinder i can borrow, not bad for two days work and a massive boost for my car building motivation
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Todays efforts involved check fitting things and a general tidy up, first of all was to secure the removeable slam panel, this is what i came up with

I bolted it to the outer slam and the inner is held in place with riv nuts so is quickly removeable, while i was at it i used riv nuts on the head lamp and bumper fittings as well, next job was to check fit the radiator and fan, fits in nice but has been pushed forward by about 2cm so will need to remake the intercooler brackets and extended the thermostat neck as my pipe no longer reaches, but no great dramas there, also had a tidy up as i was never happy with the paint on the slam panel as it was the standard polar white and looked cream against the glasier white exterior, so painted it matt black (only thing i had) and i actually quite like it

Masked up Vauxsport style

All together and the eagle eyed will have noticed i swapped my chrome spark plug cover for a plastic one and painted that as well, just need to find my white Vauxsport sticker and that will finish it off nicely

Also made a bracket for my catch tank to attach to and secured it with jubilee clips, and used parts of the breath hose i had
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only a small update, have ordered some V clamps for my exhaust so i can split it down easyer, and ordered a new radiator as the old one leaked out of the end cap

then set about it with the angle grinder to remove all the lugs etc as it doesn't sit in the original place and i need all the space i can get

then decided to fix my fan that i snapped when i shut my bonnet when i first built it and the bonnet check hit it and snapped it so it's been glued ever since

so i cut a strip of alloy and drilled and pop rivited it and it's as good as new, also couldn't resist giving it a quick lick of paint

and all fitted up and ready to go, you can see how battered the old one looks

other jobs done today were removing the manifold again and die grinded the ports and perminently fitted the the studs for the turbo
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done some more nit picky jobs today, first off was to face the manifold flange, and fit it, but then realised i couldn't do all the bolts up so off it came again, had to remove the heat shield so i could get a spanner down the back, a right pain in the arse :cry:

Then realised i'd not fitted the thermostat housing on, and had visions of it not fitting and having to take the manifold off again, but a quick change of bolts to hex heads insted of allen key and it was on, only after i cleaned it up with the sand blaster

then fitted a new CTS sensor for good measure. While i was in the cleaning mood i decided to dig out my alloy oil cap and give it a quick buff

Fitted the turbo on and had dramas with that as well as i couldn't get behind it to do 2 nuts up so had to remove the oil breather pipe and cut down an old 19mm spanner to get in the tight space :cry:

While it was off i used the OA kit to bend the breather pipe slightly as i had to twist the connection on the rocker cover to get the manifold to clear and it was to close to call so bent it out about 5mm to stop the silicon touching

Added some heat shield to be on the safe side

Final shitty job for the day was to cut down the tie bar bolts that go through the crossmember as they were touching the boost pipes and didn't want them to rub through, and gave it a lick of paint ready for the radiator to be fitted
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Todays efforts was to shorten the screamer pipe by about 90mm as it now hung too low and permanently bolt it up, also fitted all the intake pipes to the turbo and fit the air filter in it's old place behind the fog light hole. Then fitted the radiator, managed to get it in without smashing the shit out of the fins so i'm happy

Had to extend the hose on the thermostat side as it no longer reached, and then wrapped it in heat wrap to stop it melting next to the manifold, god i hate that stuff was itching for the rest of the day :cry:

Final and most fiddly job was to mount the Carlton oil cooler, this was the only place it can possibly go so after a good bit of trimming the bumper and swapping various oil cooler hoses around i got it to fit nicely and zipped tied in for a solid fit, what would we do without zip ties :dunno:

V clamps turned up today

Had to mod one of them as it didn't come with a cap, so put a quick weld down both sides to stop it spliting when tightening, so cutting the exhaust and fitting them and the intercooler will be a next week job
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only a small update today, started to make the brackets for the intercooler, had it on the blocks to get it in position to make them, i used 3mm thick duralumin, which is a stronger version of aluminium so was man enough to hold it in place

all in place with the boost pipes re attached, it sits about 2cm further out but i'm not to worried about the looks, it also allows plenty of air to hit the oil cooler below it which is a added bonus

Trial fitted Rob's inlet so i had an idea of the angle the boost pipes will need to go at, also re sprayed the spark plug cover as it was a bit shit in places, the dizzy cap isn't staying i'm going for a coil pack set up
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small update but an update all the same, i have to keep doing these to keep me motivated

I'm busy making inlets again at the minute but did an hour on my car, seeing as Rob was round i dug out my loom and he told me what the un labeled bits were as i hate electrics and had very little interest in it, but seeing as i'm getting close to getting the engine completed i wanted to make sure all was well, there are a few things that need extending like the TPS, ATS and the coil wires need changing to coil pack, which means i can ditch the ugly looking dizzy and hall sensor block
I've tried to hide as much of the loom as possible and i've trial fitted the vacuums also.
Most important thing of all and clearly the best mod on the car was the addition of the Vauxsport sticker on the spark plug cover :thumb: Looking forward to my White powder coated cover turning up as it'll suit it a lot better
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piss poor update but one never the less msl:
New white powder coated cover a absolute bargin at £19.50 delivered

Looks so much better than the black one
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right update time has been a while as i've been busy with work and my spare time has been taken up with doing manifolds, but i have not given up on my car, in fact i've just spunked a fair whack on it this month as Rob Twitchall decided to break his i thought it would be rude not to have some bits off him, so after half a day stripping his car for him this is what i've bought

Various bits

fuel system upgrades

750cc injectors and turbo feeds

And last but not least a Garratt GT3076R

me being me decided to pull it apart and clean it up msl:

Before

After

also couldn't resist grinding the hotside down

and then sand blasting it

all back together and looking like new

on it at the minute is a .63 hotside but am waiting for Rob to find the .82 hotside in his shit tip garage so i can fit that, after i've blasted it of course :help:

Treated myself to a set of these not bad for £140 new delivered, just had to change one of the bolts in them as i wasn't happy how much it could move in the bush so fitted a 9/16 bolt iirc and is now a snug fit so won't cause me issues further down the line

Also bought another big shinny thing but will post that up when it arrives msl:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a nice big box turn up today, was trawling ebay one night and spotted mick was splitting his 600bhp Tigra and this was a steal of a price so couldn't turn it down really, i'm currently trying to find a cheap supplier of the plenum part from the states so i can start making up my own so thought this would be a good one to copy from

Is CNC machined and has a 3" throttle bodie

Gonna give it a good clean up of course as i can't stand it being dirty msl: :help:

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.1162801 seconds