corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car
dewismotorsport

User status: Offline
7th Dec 11 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another box turned up today, the postman is my new best friend at the minute

Bought a complete set of braided brake lines for the car, as I need to re line the car anyway due to removing the ABS so couldn't resist doing it properly

These have done about 100 dry miles so are like new, just need to buy myself a bias valve now
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also bought one of these as Robs too tight to give me his

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This turned up today, thanks to bigron for the speedy postage :thumb:

Looks like it has the same fittings as my lines so hoping it'll connect straight up
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inlet meets car for the first time, still undecided whether to use the throttle bodie as has been known to induce extra wheel spin so may swap down to a Cav V6 one and get a reducer pipe

Needs to be removed, cleaned and a couple of bits modifying before final fitting
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got round to working on my car, first job on the list was to get rid of the dizzy and hall sensor, i've got myself an end cap but had to make a plate to cover the sensor hole as i'm not running one, also had to give it a polish

Then made a bracket to mount the coil pack

No pics of it all fitted up as it was too dark

Went round to Rob's house last night and relieved him of all his un wanted bits, got all sorts, nice one mate :thumb:

Reason i went round for was to pick up my teflon lined internal fuel lines, I now have enough to do the whole fuel system front to back just need some reducers for my fuel rail and adapt something to fit my original tank set up

Also picked up my .82 hotside to go on my GT3076R

couldn't resist blasting it :help:

Had to drill the wholes out slightly as i've used M12 studs on the manifold

Then assembled the lot and fitted water and oil fittings back on all with new seals and washers to prevent further head aches

Bought a few more bits, 3" V clamps

and a bottom and middle tool box for a bargin price of £35 Cheers work :thumb:

Then got massively distracted after fixing my mates pit bike, had great fun doing laps of the workshop msl:

Finally got on with my inlet, removed old gaskets and opened the top part of the ports out more to suit the gasket, then drilled a hole in for the water return to the header tank as it didn't have one and don't really want any cooling issues on track

Fitted the injectors in, re fitted throttle bodie (gonna run with this one for now and see how i get on as it's an easy change) and also polished it up as i can't help myself :help:

That is all
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the car into the workshop today and made a start trying to get all the bits i've bought onto the car

First job was to pipe up the Carlton oil cooler, fitted up the sandwich plate and made up some hoses, and fitted the filter (cheers Rich :thumb: )

Next job was to remove all the fuel lines and carbon tank, was gonna take them off intact but soon got bored of that and set about them with some snips and had them off in no time

Then removed the old tank lid as i modded this to run my old fuel system, un solider the pipe off it, so now need to get a new lid

Have now come up with a new set up using a diesel inner, as it has no internal pump in it

then mocked up the internal fuel lines, need to buy a couple of fittings but think i have got my head round how i'm gonna do it, only downside is that i'm gonna have to loose my sofa like rear seats so the kids will have to walk now msl:

Plan is to cut out wheel well at some point and plate it and then probably after a couple of track days strip the car out properly and turn it into a full on track car in between the odd track and drag days, hopefully have it fully stripped with polycarb windows etc by TOTB if not sooner, then cage over the winter
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pedal bias box turned up today, only downside is it appears to be missing the rod connecting the pedal and bias bar :cry:
If the guy did put it in the post then it somehow fell out on route :confused: worst case i'll buy one but will no doubt make a fully adjustable one

Also made a start sorting my braided fuel lines out, need to get a couple fittings and an extra line made up so will nip to pirtek to have my pants pulled down no doubt :cry:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a trip to pirtek after work and managed to pick up all the fittings I need to complete the brake line set up

Have ordered the 3 way junction block for the front will be in next week, to be fair to them they sorted me out a treat once the gaffer have buggered off home, also got them to use some spare line up and make me a new pipe which there not meant to so massive thanks again, need to remove the rest of the rear standard brake lines off will just be using bolt croppers for that me thinks msl:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well was hoping to get a bit more progress done today but spent half the day down Plymouth A&E and eye hospital as i managed to get a bit of aluminium embedded in my eye whilest grinding a manifold even though i had eye protection on, some use they are

On my return i set about finishing a few jobs off, first up was to remove the rest of the power steering pipes off the rack which i'd previously just linked together and ran with fluid in, have since realised you don't need to do that so off they came

My special order silicon turned up only for me to realise i don't have a 3" throttle bodie, it's 3.5" so £50 wasted there then :cry:
So i order a reducer and made up a alloy pipe to do the job instead

Collected my 3 way connector for the front brakes lines, still need to get one of the rear lines shortened will do that this week hopefully

and all fitted up

Next parcel i opened was my brake discs, these are 304mm x 24mm MGF 1.8 VVC trophy 01-02 discs which is the exactly the same discs which come in the Rayland kit, all they then do is machine the middle out and drill through and attach the alloy bell to it

I bought them through mintbitz on ebay and can't rate them highly enough, very helpfull and came the next working day, this is mainly for my future reference but if anyone else wants there details here they are

When buying you have the choice of finish, drilled, drilled and grooved, grooved and dimpled and grooved all for a stupidly cheap price of £67.95 delivered

So the plan tomorrow is get them on the lathe and machine out the middle to fit my bells, i stripped mine down earlyer and this is what i'm left with

plan is to turn it out enough so that the lip on the bell fits inside and then drill through and bolt it back up, i also have the option of taking some material out of the rear of the bell if it spaces the wheel slightly to far out, this is what it will look like

A quick ghetto fit with zip ties on the caliper and disc (I know it's not the right side, it was the first one out the box) this is what it looks like behind 16" wheels

Can't wait to get back into work and fire up the lathe
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right set about the discs with the lathe, first cut out a ring to allow me get the bit inside so that I could machine out

Then preceded to spend what felt like my life all over again machining it out to it's 161mm internal diameter

The bells are an intererance fit so for now put them on car to see how they fitted up, a bit of a fail on my part as this conversion is designed for astra style hubs which have different carriers so they didn't fit :cry:
But a quick rummage later I found some 15mm hub centric spacers and longer bolts so the spacer now fits inside the bell allow me the clearance I needed

This has increased my track by about about 20mm which I think will help me out on track

So am in a bit of a dilemma really as I could just turn the bells down slighty and lose 5mm off that or just leave it how it is :dunno:
What's peoples thoughts?
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get the other disc finished in half the time cut into it further out and then machined out with a new bit which was actually sharp

Then realised my bells are bigger than the Reyland ones so had no chance of getting a nut behind so had to tap and die through the disc (about 6mm)

Couldn't bolt them together as the storeman had gone home and he keeps all the cap head bolts locked away so will fit them tomorrow with a dab of high tempurature retaining loctite and thats them all done

couple of views

Also managed to sort out a bit of the extra unwanted track so only sticks out about 10mm now so will be fine once the geometry set up is done as no doubt that will be reduced will the camber
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All finished today all shims made etc and both sides fitted up, will be removing to do the shafts, bearings and top mounts

finished article:

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been busy with work and making inlets etc but have made some time to do my car, not been leaving work till gone 10pm every night just to try and stay on track with the build time etc

Stripped front suspension, hubs and driveshafts off, pressed new bearings into both sides and painted them up as well as the tie bar mounts

this one decided not to want to come fully off so i showed it whos boss with my trusty angle grinder

Also gave the AVO's a quick freshen up

Made a start on cutting out the strut top so that i could fit the econcentric top mounts

cut them out so the mount can be span 360 degrees and has the maximum castor availible

Painted up

Fitted 4 new CV gaitors and re greased them all and fitted jubilee clips as i'm sick of the crap clips leaking grease every where

went to reasemble it all and found that my previously shortened tie bars are the wrong hole type, so quickly made some more

The shoulder is shortened by an extra 15mm to add some more castor to the suspension leg, all painted up

reasembled everything only to find my ball joint lowering kit wasn't needed as it made the CV gaitor foul on the bolt :cry:

So off came the ball joint again and fitted back in it's original position, also had to make new bolts for the tie bars as i've added an extra lowering plate and that meant my bolts were then too short

All assembled and you can clearly see the extra castor i have gained

Made the final spacers for the calipers and painted them up, just waiting on my stud kit to arrive for ease of fitting wheels etc, lowered the car and found it sat about 1" lower due to the change in top mounts, so off came the wheels again and with a blur of C spannering i had that sorted in no time msl:

A few new bits turned up like the missing oil pump nut and washer, camber adjusting bolts, inlet gasket, fuel tank lid and a new cam belt got them all fitted up except the fuel tank lid and inlet gasket as that needs to come off again just to finish the loom and vacuums etc underneth

And finally while it was off i re sprayed my belt cover as it had started looking a bit rough
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right got a bit done on the car lately, first of all was the wheel stud conversion, makes it so much easyer

next up was to strip the front end off to get in to fit the turbo (gt3076r)

While the front was off i decided to fit the solid engine mounts, was a bit of a pain as you have to take the mount off the engine and chassis leg bolt it all together then re attach it all, also had to drill out the top hole a touch

The gearbox side was a real pain as the hole in the mount where machined 2mm out so had to enlarge them and i also decided for ease to cut the metal away from around it just to get to the bolt easyer and to help my 4" intake pipe fit through into the wheel arch

Fitted all the new water lines for the turbo and knocked up a quick oil return pipe

all fitted up

also finished the oil feed pipe and highered the car a touch as it was still a touch to low
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the car up on the ramp and first of all fitted the solid rear mount

Then removed the rest of the rear brake lines ready for me to connect the internal braided ones

Then set about the exhaust, i was never fully happy with it as i made it in a rush for PVS 09, so first of all changed the flange for a V clamp one, then made the motorsport cat removeable as i V clamped either side so i'll make a de-cat pipe at a later date, also added an extra silencer on the last section before the tailpipe

Heat wrapped it back up and fitted

And my favourite shot

Also bought a lower front strut brace haven't offered it up to the car yet so don't know if it will fit yet with the 3" exhaust

Only have some loom wiring changes and finish the fuel system and it's ready for start up and mapping
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Modified my supertrap today, cut it down to fit onto a 3" V clamp, as I also welded one to the end of my exhaust, which looks like a tailpipe, but with track day noise restrictions getting tighter I will no doubt need it for some tracks

All cut down and welded up

And after a lick of paint and bolted on
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made a start on the fuel system, first job was to extended the loom for the tank, had to do this as i have span the the lid 180 degrees so that the outlets now face the rear of the car so that my internal lines are easyer to connect, easy job really just had to trim the tabs off the lid and slightly bend up the pipes

I've used a diesel in tank pick up and casing which allows me to get round my previous design for internal lines

Started laying out the lines to work out where i could mount it all, i want it all in the boot for now as i'm gonna keep the interior this summer and then strip it all out in the winter so will no doubt move it then, this still allows me to have a backseat so i can scare the shit out the kids msl:

Rob (SBD16V) came round and helped out doing the loom, as he owes me a few big favours so while i tried to finish off the fuel system he stripped my loom down as we weren't happy with how it was wired up, and we also want to shorten it to suit my bay as i want to try and hide most of it best i can
This is how it looks at the minute, it's laid out and connected to all the sensors so we know it works alright then it'll be shorten to suit

My laptop didn't want to talk to the ecu so we used Rob's MAPTOP which hooked up fine, while we were at it we set the TPS settings and checked the MAP sensor and ITS sensor were reading ok and also gave it a quick turn over to check we had a RPM reading

Drilled the bulk head fitting holes and connected the bay lines up and then spent what felt like a lifetime trying to do the ones in the car, absolute ballbag of a job as needed to get both arms up behind dash to hold and tighten :cry:

I then tidyed up the fuel lines and mounted the bias valve

I even gave it a hoover msl:

This is how it stands now, earths are done and i'm just waiting on so more fittings to turn up so i can finish connecting up all the lines, i've put the swirl pot on a raised platform so that it feeds down to the pump, i'm also going to add a filter before the pump as stated by bosch
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been a frustrating few days, had a few teething problems first of all had a bad leak from an injector, turns out the rail wasn't quite sat flat so span the brackets round and have solved that, then found an oil leak out of the oil cooler so tightened that up, then i found a leak in the boot from the pump fitting, luckly i had a spare bellow washer, on a better note the GRP bonnet turned up, needs a light sand down and then I'll give it a paint

I then got round to making a brace for the turbo, this will help with the weight pulling down on the manifold and head studs, it fits from the back turbo bolt and down onto the block

I then plumbed in the weber for now until I splash out on a fuel lab one, also plumbed in a gauge using the middle fuel return that's not used, worked a treat

Then me and rob tried a start up but we just couldn't get a spark, after much fucking about we gave up for the afternoon, Rob then rang omex and explained his findings, turns out omex 600 can't run an amplified coil pack :cry: Luckly I still had the X20XEV one so all excited rob came back for round two msl:

It's alive
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/dewismotorsport/21053a9a.mp4

My happiness was short lived as it then wouldn't run anymore, turns out my fluke is tits and doesn't read correctly :cry: And turns out the injectors are low impedance and not high impedance like we first thought and my omex is set up for high impedance, so that was the end of that :cry:

Rob then found a injector driver kit: http://www.fjoracing.com/products/injdrvr/

This will solve all my problems and saves me having to send my ecu back to omex to have it altered

So until that turns up next week, I'll just get on with the finishing jobs, I put the radiator back in and filled up with coolant re fitted horn and intercooler, sorted bumper bracket and fitted the strut brace, it's so close now I'm like a kid at Xmas msl:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob came round today and bought my magic box of tricks to fix my impedance problem, it's a peak and hold injector driver which is the proper way of running low inpedance injectors on a high inpedance ecu

don't look much but works wonders, fired straight up :clap:
http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/dewismotorsport/?action=view&current=IMG_1278.mp4

Had a slight missfire so a double check of the wires found the problem, all fixed and fired up
http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/dewismotorsport/?action=view&current=IMG_1279.mp4

That's it sorted for now until wire braid turns up and all wires will be shortened and tidyed up to suit bay and then it's mapping time

Bleed the front brakes today bit of a pain to start with trying to get the fluid to the calipers but a bit of syringing solved that, best way to bleed them is doing both the banks at the same time so dug out two bleed kits and job done
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fitted the back braided lines today, and bleed the brakes, used the AP fluid as tbh it's the daddy

I then set about any surface rust, found the the usual suspect places being a 16 year old car msl: and nutra rusted them, then under sealed them, couldn't help myself and ended up doing the whole underside of the car :cry: took forever but will be well worth it in the long run

I then fitted the rear brake lines and bleed them, for the looming MOT test :cry:
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quickly knocked up a de cat pipe as it's getting MOT'd as a 1991 engined car

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the wheels off today to check all bolts were done up etc i then decided to treat any slight surface rust so striped it back and nutra rust treated it

And then undersealed all under the arches

Then moved onto the back and finally got round to fitting the rear stud conversion

Just waiting on a couple of things to turn up and Rob to pull his chubby finger out and finish my loom once he finds all his loom braid and heat shrink
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slow progress lately as i'm waiting for Rob to finish off my loom, he's bought all new plugs, pins and braid so is doing a proper job

Here's his wiring vortex msl:

The loom has been stripped of all non essentials and all the good stuff added which wasn't there before, we've added RPM vs load, launch control, shift light and may add traction control but that's not been decided yet

Rare shot of Rob in action

Workshop power was off all day today so set to work cleaning up my fiberglass boot and polycarbonate windows i bought off Sandsy. Used toothpaste to clean the windows and it worked a treat

Have since removed the spoiler and will fit my one as the paint work is a lot better, also removed all the old silicon off the windows and primed and painted new boarders

Above pic was a in progress one
dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

small update, made a start on the fiberglass bonnet today sanded it all down and filled in any imperfections and gave it a coat of primer

need to order the white aerocatchs so that i can cut the holes out before putting the colour coats on

While the sun was out i thought i'd get a couple of photos, i need to forward them on to Al as he needs some up to date ones for the TOTB team log

dewismotorsport

7th Dec 11 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have started doing all the smaller jobs to get it ready for MOT time and one of them was to get a new windscreen fitted as the last one smashed when my bonnet flipped up :cry:

I went for the tinted screen as it was only about £8 more, came to £96 supplied and fitted I also bunged him a £10 to take out the rear quarter glass so that I could bond in the polycarbs

While Rob was finishing off my loom I re welded some of the joins on my OMP 10 point roll cage I bought off Sandsy a few weeks back

Won't be fitting this for a while probably after the summer

Rob has 98% finished the loom now and he's done a quality job, we bought all new plugs and pins and removed all excess wires and shorten it to suit my bay

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's Corsa gsi turbo track car 23 database queries in 0.1328309 seconds