corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » For panel beaters/painters ONLY

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author For panel beaters/painters ONLY
STEvieXE

User status: Offline
20th Apr 03 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look i dont wanna argue. ive been on this site for about 2.5 years and never had a big argument yet. its just i cant believe that were arguing over something so silly. what can i say to get u to listen. ok u can reprime everything but its a waste of time. u only need to re prime repairs or new panels. trust me u can flat old paint and respray over. thats all im gonna say about it. do things whatever way u want? ill do it the way ive been trained and the way every other painter ive seen and knew has done it
RickV6

20th Apr 03 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm right I tell ya, I'm right!
Richie

20th Apr 03 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hehehehehehehe
STEvieXE

20th Apr 03 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rick v6 yeah ur exactly right but the edge of the primer will only eat into the metal and show through into ur paint if theres a hard edge of primer. when ur spot priming u fade it out with the gun when u get to the edge of each stroke. as long as theres no hard edge of primer then itll be fine and ull never see the lines
RickV6

20th Apr 03 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ya take things too serious!

Chill out!

[Edited on 20-04-2003 by RickV6]
street

20th Apr 03 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

STEvieN.I. thats the same way i was trained
STEvieXE

20th Apr 03 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks street. maybe i do take things to seriously but this is my trade and its my passion. its what makes me like cars
supacorsa

20th Apr 03 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can but for best results you should start from the surface up and it depends on cost so if you dont have the money for a bare metal respray then go for the paint up and the difference will proberley never be noticed bit i think that the quality of a bare metal respray is the best option so i think that u people who blab on that you dont need primer you can spray on the old paint isnt the purpose of primer to give the paint somthing to stick to ????????
STEvieXE

20th Apr 03 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

m8y this post is done and dusted. theres no point of us arguing anymore coz well never agree on it. so theres no point in starting it up again. im sure kris is fed up to so he can work his way and ill work mine. a bare metal respray isnt required and there would be no difference in quality if the prep work is good enuff. a bare metal respray is only required on something like a classic car.. now as far as im concerned the subjects closed. im sure kris also feels the same way.
STEvieXE

20th Apr 03 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just one last point, when u flat the existing paint down then the primer is still there etc so u still have it. as long as u key the surface of the old paint well enough then u wont have a problem. POST OVER
STEvieXE

20th Apr 03 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just one last point, when u flat the existing paint down then the primer is still there etc so u still have it. as long as u key the surface of the old paint well enough then u wont have a problem. POST OVER
Kris TD

20th Apr 03 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieN.I.
rick v6 yeah ur exactly right but the edge of the primer will only eat into the metal and show through into ur paint if theres a hard edge of primer. when ur spot priming u fade it out with the gun when u get to the edge of each stroke. as long as theres no hard edge of primer then itll be fine and ull never see the lines

i agree with you here, ive done patches like this and its not noticable.

POST CLOSED
John_C

20th Apr 03 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieN.I.
thank u everyone coz austinpxx or someone is on chatting coz his cars in a bodyshop. i cant believe that we r arguing over something so stupid. this is basic stuff

ur the 1 arguing

if ur in the profession y r u even arguing
Scott

20th Apr 03 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, koni and me run Koncept Developments - we do custom bodywork and van painting etc etc

to prep a car for paint the best way to get a good finish is below

prepare the cars surface so its totally flat with no holes etc

panel wipe the car

take panel wipe off the car

tack cloth the car

prime the car

wet flat the car with wet n dry 1200 grit

dry the car

panel wipe the car

take panel wipe from car

tack cloth the car

then paint the car

once painted depending on conditions and painter , u will either get a off the gun finish or will need to do some wet flatting and a polish

but thats how its down

Richie

20th Apr 03 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes gonna scream at you now saying that it doesnt apply for respraying
Scott

20th Apr 03 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same process no matter if the cars getitng resprayed or wot , cars shoudl all be done this way
Richie

20th Apr 03 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there ya go, straight from the mouth of the professionals
Bradz

28th Apr 03 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BOLLOCKS.

i also run and own my own Bodyshop and have done for many years.

There is MANY Cases where u dont have to prime everything u paint.

for example.

u need a new wing fitted to ur white Corsa, and u buy a second hand wing that is in mint condition and is also white in colour but the wrong shade etc, There is no need to prime the wing providing it aint damaged( no dents, deep scratches etc), it should simply need a flatten down (1200/1500 grit), panel wipe, tacked then painted, absolutly no need to prime in that case.

if the wing had been black however, u would need to prime the wing, u would have difficulties with the paint covering etc, so would need to use say white or biege primer, so the white would cover ok.

THERE ARE MANY CASES U DONT NEED TO PRIME PARTS.

Hope this helps

Bradz

Custom Coach Crafts
Aberdeen
sales@customcoachcrafts.co.uk
tel 07789 196689
STEvieXE

28th Apr 03 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks bradz/street. im pleased that someone has backed me up. but theres no point in arguing about his anymore. its so simple. fair play to koni/scott they do jobs the way they think is best, same to kris td. fair enuff its a good way to go but not necessary in all cases.
Xs

17th May 03 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AustinPXX
there ya go, straight from the mouth of the professionals

Scott a professional LOL
Kris TD

17th May 03 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you had filled patches and just primed bits would you spray the panel in that yellow shit, barcoat? or would you just use that if were using a synthetic paint over celly ?
STEvieXE

17th May 03 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u mean an isolater? why do u not just use 2 pac? then u wont have to worry? as far as i know (not 100% sure coz we mostly use 2pac) u can paint synthetic overcellulose without having to use an isolater.
Kris TD

17th May 03 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dad was using it when he was respraying my bros red corsa because it had had a bodge repair job with celly paint and couldnt get hold of flame red 2-pac from our suppliers, only 2k.
Kris TD

17th May 03 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah isolater, same thing.
RichR
Premium Member

18th May 03 at 01:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as the whole car is being resprayed and the original layerof primer is intact, then what I'd do is rub down the whoe car, through the wax, laquer and top coat, basically until ur down to the primer layer neway.; before resprayin - u cud if u wanted to spray new top coat from this point - but if I was doing a car myself then Id always reprime neway, an extra layer or 2 of primer wont cause a proble, but yes I agree that in all honesty u dont actually need to re-prime - but its better to do so

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll