corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Advice on RE-Spraying Mirrors

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice on RE-Spraying Mirrors
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
17th Apr 03 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I have a blue car with manual mirrors and own silver electric mirrors. I am going to attempt myself to re-spray the silver ones blue using cans before I send them and a lot of other bits to a bodyshop for professional spraying.

I've got a number of questions:

1. Once Ive smoothed out the stone chips and have sanded the lacquer down, do I need to prime them up with plastic primer of can I go straight to body paint?

2. Do electric mirrors have different base plates to manual mirrors? Ie will it save me a job just spraying the cups?

3. Do I need to sand right down to the plastic or is simply smoothing whats already there ok?

Thanks,

[Edited on 17-04-2003 by Mav 3000]
Makarus

17th Apr 03 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sand it down, prime it, sand it again, prime it again, sand it once more, put the paint on, sand it, paint it, sand it* and then at the end laquer it, sand it, laquers it* VOILA!!

* Repeat until desired effect.
Kris TD

17th Apr 03 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a bit overkill if they are already smooth mate.
you still need to prime them, but if you dont go down to the plastic then normal primer will do.
Mav 3000

17th Apr 03 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've only got plastic primer - just something to tide them over before I can get a spray job - save me having silver mirrors.

(Kris I got a question in ICE forum about that sound deadening idea - I'll u2u you)

I always thought if you sanded paquer it would loose its transparentcy and go misty - is this not true then?

Thanks for the help
Mav 3000

17th Apr 03 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does sanding laquer make it misty?

Any most importantly - how do you seperate the mirror from the base plate without it going wobbly when you re-attach it?!
STEvieXE

17th Apr 03 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all u need to do is flat the surface of the paint with something like 800/1000grit then u can go straight to paint. no primer required. u dont need to sand all the paint/primer off, just take the shine off it. ive never seen lacquer go misty. plus if ur sanding it then obviously ur gonna paint it or buff it up anyway so does it matter?
Mav 3000

17th Apr 03 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Steve.

the sanding laquer thing was from above where it said t spray then sand then spray laquer - I thought it may cloud of scratch and make the finish look bad as the laquer may lok opque or something on top of the paint.

Anyone know how to remove the mirror cup from the base plate safely?!
Rob H

17th Apr 03 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re painted my DTMs the other week, I went over the top sanding them down really, but then there was an uneven paint finishe from when i did them the first time.

From there I:
Primed them, put a few coats on, and allow to dry between coats.
When the primers dry, use 1200 W&D and sand the primer down untill the hole surface of the mirrors is really really smooth (should look like plastic)
Spray a coule of coats of metallic paint on. when the final layers dry, again using 1200 W&D make the surface really smooth. wash the mirrors and allow them to dry properly (Hair dryer comes in usefull here ). The paint will have a cloudy finish to it, but once laquered will look spot on. Ive found that flatting them before laquering them helps to stop the laquer running
MattyB

18th Apr 03 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yo mav 3000, why bother swapping the mirrors?? You planning on wiring up the electric ones?? If not, then spray the manual ones up. Much more functional!
Matt
Mav 3000

18th Apr 03 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've currently got manual mirrors which origianlly came in blue.

when I get my electrics sorted I'll have silver electric mirrors! so I thought between me having my electrics sorted and having my new electric mirros sprayed, I'll paint them myself temporarily to disguise the fact there the wrong colour.

I'll probably do this sometime next week.

Any ideas how to seperate the mirror from the baseplate safely?
Makarus

18th Apr 03 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe you see my method as over kill, yet it does the job and gets a decent finish so I aint complaining.
Makarus

18th Apr 03 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and for the base plate I am sure you have to take the internal surround off so you can get the base plate off.
Kris TD

18th Apr 03 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieN.I.
all u need to do is flat the surface of the paint with something like 800/1000grit then u can go straight to paint. no primer required. u dont need to sand all the paint/primer off, just take the shine off it. ive never seen lacquer go misty. plus if ur sanding it then obviously ur gonna paint it or buff it up anyway so does it matter?

dont talk sh1t, of course you need primer, the paint will stick for like 2 mins if you dont use it, and it will probably bead up anyway.
Kris TD

18th Apr 03 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Makarus
Maybe you see my method as over kill, yet it does the job and gets a decent finish so I aint complaining.

i only said that because richards mirrors are already painted so will be smooth, all you need is one coat of primer (if its plastic primer dont sand it cos its only a clear laquer type stuff, very thin) then spray over the top. make sure you sand the shine off the old paint first with 600 grit or something like that.
Mav 3000

18th Apr 03 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the advice. I'll be sanding and priming shortly. Hopefully got enough paint - sadly gott o use cans on this

So any definite way to separate the mirror cup from the base plate??
STEvieXE

19th Apr 03 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KRIS TD. ur obviously a brainchild. the mirrors r already painted so therefore all u need to do is flat down and respray and re lacquer coz there already is plastic primer on them. only needs to reprime if the mirrors r flatted back to the plastic which they shouldnt need. so dont start to slabour about my replies. i think i should know. i would like to think ive learned something in the 4 years ive done bodywork. i know u think ur a bodywork genius but lets face it, whos gonna know more? and if u want to slabour about f/glass work then fine, i spent 2 years fabricting f/glass panels and coachbuilding limos and hearses.
Mav 3000

19th Apr 03 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well lets leave that there hey. Thanks for the advice.

Only got one alst question: Once sprayed, is it ok to sand the laquer and it to stay clear and scratch free etc?
STEvieXE

19th Apr 03 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what u wanna sand the lacquer for? 2 buff up?
STEvieXE

19th Apr 03 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sorry if that post was a bit rough but it really iritates me that people think they know more about things like that than u do when thats ur job
Mav 3000

19th Apr 03 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problem.

I just read on one of the replies to laquer, sand, laquer etc and I thought it may scratch it up and make it look gash. I've never sanded laquer before but with it being mirrors - external etc - I want it to look as good as possible.

Mirrors are now sanded smooth - haven't gone down to plastic or anything, just worked my way through grades or wet n dry. Just got to wait on weather now.

Got 2 cans of Polar Sea Blue - both half full so wil have to see how far that goes.
STEvieXE

19th Apr 03 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after u finish painting lacquer over top. dont sand lacquer between coats or anything. put it all on paint and lacquer at one time. but if that halfords spray can they say let paint dry 4 24hrs then flat with 1200 then lacquer. now this isnt how its done professionally but maybe for using these cans ud be better to stick to there instrutions. although ive done interior dash parts using these cans and i did it wet on wet and they turned out great.
Kris TD

20th Apr 03 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieN.I.
KRIS TD. ur obviously a brainchild. the mirrors r already painted so therefore all u need to do is flat down and respray and re lacquer coz there already is plastic primer on them. only needs to reprime if the mirrors r flatted back to the plastic which they shouldnt need. so dont start to slabour about my replies. i think i should know. i would like to think ive learned something in the 4 years ive done bodywork. i know u think ur a bodywork genius but lets face it, whos gonna know more? and if u want to slabour about f/glass work then fine, i spent 2 years fabricting f/glass panels and coachbuilding limos and hearses.

yes there is plastic primer on there, you cannot spray new paint dirtect onto old paint, it need to be sprayed onto primer directly, and several year old primer is no good, it needs to be softer, and before you say i dont know sh1t i do all my spraying with proper tools, not cans. if you doubt my ability i will quite gladly show you my work if your coming to pv2003.
Kris TD

20th Apr 03 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you are basically saying that when cars go in for resprayed tehy just spray on paint and dont prime it first, mate i wouldnt go anywhere near your body shop with saddam husseins barge pole let alone mine.
Kris TD

20th Apr 03 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and i didnt question your fibreglassing ability did i. so crawl back into your little shell.
people like you really do my nut, your the "big shot"! who knows everything so i must be wrong. painting straight onto old paint, what are you like, you obviously havent learnt much have you
STEvieXE

20th Apr 03 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well u think u know it all dont u. thats why ull already know that when ur car goes in for a full respray that it wouldnt be flatted back to bare metal and re primed etc. the paint will be flatted down and the new top coat applied onto the old paint then lacquered. ive seen more cars painted this way than enough so dont try to tell me how to do my job. how do u think new paint is blended into old? cars only need reprimed if the original paint is in very bad nick or for dents/scores etc that cant be flatted out. why dont we put it to the test by putting up a post to the proper bodymen out there. u know the ones who have there time served and work in approved bodyshops like me. not to a guy who does a bit of painting at home. what do u actually do for a living kris?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll