corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....
John

User status: Offline
30th Jul 12 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prices are fixed, more so at launch, there will be deals turning up now before the new one comes out.
ljames555

30th Jul 12 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
Originally posted by Marc
My screen is fine. I do have gripe with the original signal issue and now the home button though

I've got one with a bad battery, but because the bottom water indicator is pink they've decided my warranty is void. Cunts. Charging 3 times a day

Put a dab of bleach on the indicator

Or just get a new battery £5 off ebay.
Wrighty

31st Jul 12 at 03:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whos been and got an iphone on the day it launches previously? hows best to get one that day, pre-order at apple store?

also wonder if they will stick a quad core processor in this time instead of dual core?
A2H GO

31st Jul 12 at 05:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I queued up on launch day for iPhone 4. This one is the first new design in 28 months, first new screen size, first 4G phone, and a new OS. I would put money on it selling out. Every man and his dog have been holding out on upgrading in anticipation of it.
Cavey

31st Jul 12 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't

However, I can't disagree with what you said. It should look different to previous iterations, that'll be enough for half the people wanting one, the new tech will satisfy the ones who actually know about stuff

[Edited on 31-07-2012 by Cavey]
Russ

31st Jul 12 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure its been posted yet, possible 12th September announce and 21st September launch

http://hexus.net/mobile/news/apple/43113-apples-iphone-5-debut-september-12th/
noshua

31st Jul 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I queued up on launch day for iPhone 4. This one is the first new design in 28 months, first new screen size, first 4G phone, and a new OS. I would put money on it selling out. Every man and his dog have been holding out on upgrading in anticipation of it.

No doubt it will sell in the trillions but 4G is useless here and they'll probably use the same chip as the iPad, screen size won't be enough to warrant an upgrade from the majority and the OS is supported by 4 and 4s.

There will be something extra surely?
John

31st Jul 12 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Each iteration has sold more than the last at launch, why would it suddenly sell out this time when they seem to have sorted out the supply issues?
John

31st Jul 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one here looks massively out of proportion.

Balling
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Each iteration has sold more than the last at launch, why would it suddenly sell out this time when they seem to have sorted out the supply issues?

Did the 4S sell as well at launch as the 4? I didn't think it did...

Also, IIRC there were major supply issues with the 4, but only on the popular storage sizes.

John

31st Jul 12 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/iphone_4s_sales_record_1_million.php
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's pretty staggering tbh.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/12743/worldwide-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

Rob_Quads

31st Jul 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the US the iOS is GAINING! on market share over android which is very surprising, specially considering where in the release cycle they are.

It will sell out as usual. It will be the combination of iOS update and phone to try and get people to update.

As for dual/quad/hex core. I couldn't care less what the specs are. Its how well it works that's important. If its only got dual cores but the UI is nice and speedy its all good.

Soo many people want quad cores when they don't actually do anything that would utilise them.

[Edited on 31-07-2012 by Rob_Quads]
A2H GO

31st Jul 12 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean 'out of proportion' in that photo John? Its longer than the 4 but the same width...I also think it will make a much bigger difference than you think.

[Edited on 31-07-2012 by A2H GO]
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
As dual/quad/hex core. I couldn't care less what the specs are. Its how well it works thats important. If its only got dual cores but the UI is nice and speedy its all good.

Soo many people want quad cores when they don't actually do anything that would utilise them.

I don't exactly have a goal that the spec needs to meet, but I think it's important that it doesn't stagnate. If the hardware doesn't evolve neither will the software.

Still, I get what you're saying. People are evaluating phones (and truly most hardware) purely on specs, and that doesn't always (ever?) give the full picture.

A2H GO

31st Jul 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
As dual/quad/hex core. I couldn't care less what the specs are. Its how well it works thats important. If its only got dual cores but the UI is nice and speedy its all good.

I don't exactly have a goal that the spec needs to meet, but I think it's important that it doesn't stagnate. If the hardware doesn't evolve neither will the software.

Still, I get what you're saying. People are evaluating phones (and truly most hardware) purely on specs, and that doesn't always (ever?) give the full picture.

Exacly, I mean look at scrolling physics on Jelly bean on the quad core S3, it's undeniably got better with Project Butter but still nothing on the single core 4 year old 3GS.
Rob_Quads

31st Jul 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the question is how many current applications use 80% of the 4S hardware? I bet its a tiny tiny number of apps if any. I can see a few of the games etc pushing the graphics hard - thus why they upped the cores in the GPU on the ipad but in terms of CPU power... who knows.

Even after 5 years coders were still learning how to get the most out of the PS3.
Nath

31st Jul 12 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Exacly, I mean look at scrolling physics on Jelly bean on the quad core S3, it's undeniably got better with Project Butter but still nothing on the single core 4 year old 3GS.

Is what I base my phone choice on.
Dom

31st Jul 12 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

That's got nothing to do with processing power, rather how touchscreen position data is averaged. Samsung have also purposely added delays in the scrolling on TouchWiz.

As said though, Google have modified this in JB to increase sensitivity.
A2H GO

31st Jul 12 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather have good battery life over 4 cores and 4G.

Can't think of anything else I really want from a phone that my current iPhone doesn't already do, maybe NFC when its more mainstream would be nice. I don't need a better camera, I don't need it to be any faster...I made that mistake with the iPad 3, its just that little bit heavier, the battery drains that little bit quicker and its a little bit fatter, all of which make me miss my iPad 2 as you don't notice the screen after a day.
John

31st Jul 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd notice it straight away if you went back to a 2 though, we've been here before Ash.

As for out of proportion, it looks too long and massive overall.

Unless they've done something good (which they surely will have) that's far too big for a solid lump like the iPhone should be built.
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with John, it does look too big.

I really don't get what's going on with the screen sizes at the moment. Tablets are getting smaller and phones are getting bigger. Not seeing the point at all...

Current iPhone is the perfect size. Just needs to be a bit thinner. If they found the space to fit a bigger screen in the same form factor, fair enough.

LeeM

31st Jul 12 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a shame they'll only release one, it would be nice to have the option of this new big one and one the same size as the 4 like with android.
A2H GO

31st Jul 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd hazard a guess that more people want a bigger screen than would be happy to pay £500 for another phone of the same size.

I for one am ready for a bigger screen. Your right though, unless that unibody is aluminium its going to be quite weighty and bulky. That said, the current iPhone is 9.3mm and this is reported as being 7.6mm, which is mega thin, almost as thin as just the bezel on the 4, think the S3 is 8.6mm.
Balling
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lack of options always was the downfall of Apple.

Still, I'm due for a new work phone, so will be getting this as soon as possible.

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll