corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....

New Poll
  <<  95    96    97    98  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....
LeeM

User status: Offline
13th Aug 13 at 02:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, i imagine people will still go for the premium version so when they get their shiny iPhone out people dont respond with "oh youve only got the cheap one"
A2H GO

13th Aug 13 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All companies come and go, no one can stay at the top of their game forever, just look at blackberry, Nokia, Microsoft, this stuff just goes round in circles. Even if Apple don't bring out a cheap iphone, they'll still be unable to sustain their previous level of success so it's a lose lose situation. They've set the bar for themselves so high they've become a victim of their own success, these days it's as if people want them to trip up.

People have gotten to a point where they just take Apples ability to innovate for granted, so when they don't release a flying car/holo deck/teleporter/time machine, all the 'Apple are doomed' comments start. Yet when Samsung releases a minor update to the S3 in the form of an S4 or google releases poorly spec'd hardware, no one bats an eyelid.

I can't think of any company that innovates year on year and wows people with things they've never seen before, technology doesn't move that fast.

Apple will always be successful but it's unlikely to rival the success of the the last few years as their timing with the iPhone/iPad was perfect (and let's be honest they haven't got Jobs anymore) however Apple failing is just as bad for the technology industry as a whole, as it is for Apple. Look how hard manufactuers are trying to compete and that can only be good for the consumer. If there was no Apple we might all be stuck with polyphonic ringtones, snake and hardware keyboards forever

[Edited on 13-08-2013 by A2H GO]
Rob_Quads

13th Aug 13 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I can't think of any company that innovates year on year and wows people with things they've never seen before, technology doesn't move that fast.
[Edited on 13-08-2013 by A2H GO]

Hit the nail on the head. Most people are just unrealistic.

If you really look into the last say 5/6 years at Apple how many major real product innovations have their been??

iPhone....3 years later....iPad

........ so thats really two products which they have then built on. Yet everyone is expecting them to release something earth shattering every year. Yes they have made loads of changes to their product line over the time - made the MacMini smaller, iMac thinner, Macbook Pro all of these had small bits of innovation here and there which were great and what the products needed but not earth shattering.

Obviously there is also the software aspect to Apple which is just huge in terms of their revenue.

While Apple have not been massively innovating over the last 2/3 years who have? The only major thing I can think of is the whole Kinetic side of things. Virtually everything else has just been evolutions of technologies.

John

13th Aug 13 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So because no-one else is, it's OK for a company who built their whole brand on innovation to be sheep?

Apple could do literally anything they wanted and the fanboy crowd would just continue making up excuses.
Rob_Quads

13th Aug 13 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I am saying is that if your expecting something earth shattering every year your going to be sorely disappointed as they have never done this.

I would expect something major over the next year or two be that the TV space or something different.
John

13th Aug 13 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have never expected earth shattering from them but they've done nothing but dilute the brand for a while now.
Rob_Quads

13th Aug 13 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest what do you count as diluting the brand in terms of what they have released already (i.e. not the 5C)
John

13th Aug 13 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPad mini and bringing out a new iPad after 6 months to force their new connector.

Possibly even worse than the actual products though is people talking about it at all.
Rob_Quads

13th Aug 13 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting. This is where they can't win really.

While you say the iPad mini is diluting the brand before they had an iPad mini many people were saying that if they did not release one they would be narrow minded.

Its a loose loose situation for them

Would you also then say the Macbook Air is diluting the brand as its just a cheaper Macbook pro?
John

13th Aug 13 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luckily Apple (nor anyone) cares what I think.

If the new retina mbp existed before the air then I'd have possibly said yes. As it was though (and still is) the mbp is a massive heavy chunk of metal, they did need a lighter alternative.

Even the air is still a premium product when it was in the world of netbooks a 3rd of the price.

iPad mini and a cheap iPhone are completely aimed at market share of what the public want, the air was pretty innovative being so thin but still such high quality.

[Edited on 13-08-2013 by John]
Balling
Premium Member

13th Aug 13 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my iPad mini.

[/fanboy swallowing everything Apple serves]

Rob_Quads

13th Aug 13 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose I do agree that its market share they are going after but I don't think they have much choice. If they didn't then they would die very quickly.

While they are a premium brand its a cheap premium brand lol they are not making 1000% profit like many of the expensive premium brands of the world
John

13th Aug 13 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's something we agree on and a point I made a page or 2 back.
Whittie

23rd Aug 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems to have been an age ago they shows everybody ios7! Still not out
A2H GO

23rd Aug 13 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same every year mate.

Aparantly the new version of Android looks epic too.
Whittie

5th Sep 13 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Same every year mate.

Aparantly the new version of Android looks epic too.

They've finally caved and sent me a brand new phon
Whittie

2nd Jun 14 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IOS8 doesn't look too bad...

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/

New iPhone 6 in August then... Wonder if the battery will be better / charger cables don't break with ease.
Jambo

3rd Jun 14 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not as pleased with my 5 as I have been with the other iPhones. This seems to eat battery like a motherfucker, sometimes charging 2/3 times a day (I do use it a lot, but no different to my 4s which coped with 1 1/2 charges a day wtih ease)

Also seems to get to 20% then die. Then after 20mins it magically comes back to life unprompted.

Never had an issue before with an iPhone and I have had a few with this one. Wish I had never dropped mine in the bath, always been on the "S" side of releases for upgrades which usually meant they ironed out the issues with the first one. Dropped the 4s in the bath so had to swap for a 5. Bet the 6 will be riddled with issues too

Upgrade is in December, might pay off early and upgrade.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Jun 14 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the phone repaired? It's obviously broken if it dies at 20% charge.

Jambo

3rd Jun 14 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't every time Alex, just randomly. It's not a huge issue as I'm nearly always by a charger.

The new one will come out and I'll either get an early upgrade deal and sell this or just get a 5s
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Jun 14 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most likely a warranty repair will result in a brand new phone, so makes sense whatever you decide do afterwards.

Jambo

3rd Jun 14 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's over a year old mate not worth the outlay I don't
Think
Whittie

3rd Jun 14 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine dies at 20-40% too James, comes back on when I plug it in with 20-30%. Weird

<<  95    96    97    98  >>

New Poll