corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....
LeeM

User status: Offline
31st Jul 12 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I'd hazard a guess that more people want a bigger screen than would be happy to pay £500 for another phone of the same size.

I for one am ready for a bigger screen. Your right though, unless that unibody is aluminium its going to be quite weighty and bulky. That said, the current iPhone is 9.3mm and this is reported as being 7.6mm, which is mega thin, almost as thin as just the bezel on the 4, think the S3 is 8.6mm.

i dont want or need a bigger screen, ive an ipad for that.
Dom

31st Jul 12 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:
I'd hazard a guess that more people want a bigger screen than would be happy to pay £500 for another phone of the same size.

I for one am ready for a bigger screen. Your right though, unless that unibody is aluminium its going to be quite weighty and bulky. That said, the current iPhone is 9.3mm and this is reported as being 7.6mm, which is mega thin, almost as thin as just the bezel on the 4, think the S3 is 8.6mm.

Apple think you do and i suspect you'll purchase one

One of my gripes with iPhones is iOS UI; it's getting a bit long in the tooth and dated, it could do with a facelift/UI rehash. No doubt someone will say "why change it, it works" but if that was the case then we'd still be using steam
John

31st Jul 12 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we'll see more changes when stuff comes out that Jobs had no hand in.

Can't see anyone else getting away with just flat out saying no to everything.
LeeM

31st Jul 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, ill still have one. thats my only annoyance about apple the lack of options
LeeM

31st Jul 12 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I think we'll see more changes when stuff comes out that Jobs had no hand in.

Can't see anyone else getting away with just flat out saying no to everything.

jobs was against people modifying his products, but but i think the new retina macbook has been made impossible/harder to upgrade internally yourself
Nath

31st Jul 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:

Apple think you do and i suspect you'll purchase one

One of my gripes with iPhones is iOS UI; it's getting a bit long in the tooth and dated, it could do with a facelift/UI rehash. No doubt someone will say "why change it, it works" but if that was the case then we'd still be using steam

Exactly why I didn't bother going from a 3GS to 4 or 4S. I like my phone's to be like a new 'toy'. And going from one UI to t'other was just boring.
Dom

31st Jul 12 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Exactly why I didn't bother going from a 3GS to 4 or 4S. I like my phone's to be like a new 'toy'. And going from one UI to t'other was just boring.

I don't doubt they are already working on a UI overhaul but they need to get their arse in gear.

One annoyance when using a friends 3GS the other day was the lack of quickly enabling/disabling peripherals like WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS; have to piss about going through settings They need to nab Androids notification bar 'switches'.....
A2H GO

31st Jul 12 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nath - the 4/4S is a massive upgrade from the 3GS.

They don't completely overhaul the iOS so that it remains compatible with older models, how many 4 year old Android phones run Jelly Bean?

Agreed it needs a refresh but I can't see what they can possibly to to make it better other than adding widgets.

I find it mad Apple already had the 4/4S design drawn up and locked away even before the original iPhone was released.
John

31st Jul 12 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you design enough stuff you can probably cover every base, it'll always look like something.
LeeM

31st Jul 12 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i went 3gs to 4, purely for the screen. hated the design at the time and will still probably jump at the chance of a 4 stuffed into a 3gs shell
Rob_Quads

31st Jul 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO[/i

They don't completely overhaul the iOS so that it remains compatible with older models, how many 1 year old Android phones have fully supported Jelly Bean?

fixed that for you Probably less than there are models of iOS devices
Nath

1st Aug 12 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Nath - the 4/4S is a massive upgrade from the 3GS.

They don't completely overhaul the iOS so that it remains compatible with older models, how many 4 year old Android phones run Jelly Bean?

Agreed it needs a refresh but I can't see what they can possibly to to make it better other than adding widgets.

I find it mad Apple already had the 4/4S design drawn up and locked away even before the original iPhone was released.

Not enough to be happy to stick with it for 18/24 months. My Sister has the S and her fella the 4. I played with both phones plenty.
Jambo

1st Aug 12 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could do with adding a few features, don't think it needs overhauling though!

Could just stick Bluetooth (a must for me) wifi etc in the notification pull down. or instead of the search to the left, have a bar across the top with the icons etc.

Love the OS, 80% of the reason I have an iPhone.
A2H GO

1st Aug 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i went 3gs to 4, purely for the screen. hated the design at the time and will still probably jump at the chance of a 4 stuffed into a 3gs shell

The 4/4S design is leaps and bounds ahead of the 3G/S.
John

1st Aug 12 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3G/S still feels like a toy.
Balling
Premium Member

1st Aug 12 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changing the back from aluminium to plastic with the 3G...

LeeM

1st Aug 12 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personal preference really isn't it. I'm slowly starting to really like the 4 design though, after owning it for a year
C2RL R

1st Aug 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple recently bought a company that develops finger print reader technology. Wonder if that will make it to the iPhone or will it be more iPad/mac book?
noshua

1st Aug 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably neither and will just use it to take Samsung to court.
A2H GO

1st Aug 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AuthenTec, Apple only bought them because Samsung signed a massive contract with them only a few weeks before. I thought they were more around NFC, which made me think the iPhone 5 won't come with it since its already in production.
Dom

2nd Aug 12 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They don't completely overhaul the iOS so that it remains compatible with older models....

Don't see how UI is linked with hardware compatibility
They could quite easily change the whole UI and still make it compatible with the hardware.

quote:
how many 4 year old Android phones run Jelly Bean?

Officially only a handful; unofficially a fair old amount. But then it's an unfair comparison considering you have thousands of different Android handsets vs Apple's 5(/6).

quote:

As mentioned, they need to nick Androids notifications 'switches'; crawling through settings to switch bluetooth/GPS/WiFi on and off is a stupid idea.
A2H GO

2nd Aug 12 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well worth a read of you want to know why the iPhone 5 is two tone along with why the design is a bigger upgrade from the 4/4S than it looks on first glance:

http://itsmorereal.tumblr.com/

[Edited on 02-08-2012 by A2H GO]
XSIHardy

3rd Aug 12 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iso6 is looking rather impressive

And this may make me sound so so stupid! But these latest mock ups have the headphone socket at the bottom, and that would be seriously put me off !
Dom

3rd Aug 12 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well worth a read of you want to know why the iPhone 5 is two tone along with why the design is a bigger upgrade from the 4/4S than it looks on first glance:

http://itsmorereal.tumblr.com/

Good read that; shame about the use of plastic though. Would have thought there would be a way of utilising the whole unibody as an antenna though.

On another note, the of his blog is a little biased though
A2H GO

3rd Aug 12 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, it looks like they're just going to be sections glued in after.

They could potentially have used the unused antenna bands on the left and right for wifi/gps. ALternatibvely they could have machined out the apple logo and use a black plastic/glass apple instead similar to the iPad. Although I guess there is no room for the wifi/gps components in the centre of the phone.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll