corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » SSD Drives

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SSD Drives
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Feb 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who has one, what one is it and what do you think of it?

Smallish sized ones are fairly affordable (£100 for 60GB) these days, I'm hoping in a couple of year's time we'll all be using SSD drives (at much cheaper prices) and mechanical drives will be a thing of the past!

I was looking at some YouTube videos of comparisons against normal HDDs and the usual Windows boot time demo videos etc. seems pretty impressive!
Voyto

17th Feb 11 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently switched over to the OCZ Vertex 2E drive. Was about £85 for the 60gb.

Massive improvement in load times, boot time, etc. My main reason for buying one is being a WoW player (very HDD intensive).

But...60gb doesnt get you very far at all, so you tend to just install your OS, AntiVirus, etc on the SSD....everything else on a normal HDD. I've found my HDD spins down because the OS isn't using it all the time and I get a little lag when opening software installed on the HDD. Maybe I can turn this power-saving feature off?
_Allan_

17th Feb 11 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a OCZ 60GB Vertex that is used solely for the Win7 installation. Boot up time is very fast. Logged on in about 15-20 seconds from startup. Speed wise I haven't really noticed that much lag from a traditional Sata drive. Sometime when viewing folder with large amount of data it takes a few seconds to show but not really noticable. Well worth a purchase but until the prices drop and size increase then I would always back it up with a couple of regular large sata drives.

Haha I have the same issue with the movies directory on my regular HDD. I can hear it spin up. Only a few seconds delay though.

[Edited on 17-02-2011 by _Allan_]
Bueno

17th Feb 11 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More expensive normally means better, Im going to wait a few years though. Check custom PC reviews.
Voyto

17th Feb 11 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah...a little annoying. Can this be altered with firmware or anything?
ed

17th Feb 11 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get hybrid drives which are a lot more cost effective and have the benefit of having pretty high capacity. You get better performance than a mechanical drive, but obviously they aren't as great as an SSD.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/222310

Just saying...
ed

17th Feb 11 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Voyto
Maybe I can turn this power-saving feature off?

In Windows, you can set a custom power plan that wont let the HDD spin down. You do this by going: Control Panel -> Power Options -> Create Custom Plan -> Advanced Settings -> Hard Disk Settings -> Turn HDD Off After (roughly).
Voyto

17th Feb 11 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Voyto
Maybe I can turn this power-saving feature off?

In Windows, you can set a custom power plan that wont let the HDD spin down. You do this by going: Control Panel -> Power Options -> Create Custom Plan -> Advanced Settings -> Hard Disk Settings -> Turn HDD Off After (roughly).

New Poll