corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Gaming PC

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gaming PC
Ryan

User status: Offline
24th Oct 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So ive always had consoles for gaming and i just use my laptop for browsing etc.

But i fancy a PC for things like FM and Rfactor, maybe flight sim etc. I have been looking for a few weeks but i have absolutley no idea what i am looking at as ive never been into that kind of thing.

PC World sell 'gaming' computers from £400 but would this be any good or any differant to your average desktop?

I dont want to build one myself because i wouldnt know where to start, so any advice on where to look and how much to spend on an average set up?

[Edited on 24-10-2010 by RYAN89]
Doug

24th Oct 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=1444

If you don't want to build yourself then these would all be a pretty good base point
Ryan

24th Oct 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/gaming/gx1000/step1.html

I have been looking at that, upgrading the CPU, memory and motherboard
Ryan

24th Oct 10 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody else?
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Oct 10 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to the people at scan, they will build one to your spec and send it out to you. I've bought all my bits from there and cant fault them at all.
Ryan

24th Oct 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the thing im struggling with though, the actual spec. I havent got a clue what i actually need, it will be soley for gaming as i have my laptop for evrything else. I couldnt tell you what the differant parts actually do nevermind what i will need for it to perform well.lol
Simon

24th Oct 10 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Register on overclockers then tell them budget.and spec and they will do you a spec. Shop around for prices
DannyB
Premium Member

24th Oct 10 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RYAN89
Thats the thing im struggling with though, the actual spec. I havent got a clue what i actually need, it will be soley for gaming as i have my laptop for evrything else. I couldnt tell you what the differant parts actually do nevermind what i will need for it to perform well.lol

Thats what I meant speak to the guys and tell them what you're needing it for an they will spec you one up for your budget and build it up for you

www.scan.co.uk
Ryan

24th Oct 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=149939

This is one that i customised using my (very) brief knowledge.
Dom

25th Oct 10 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Go with Intel over AMD - AMD have some impressive clock speeds but Intel's (at the moment) offer better overall performance.

I'd also opt for a SSD as your main partition (for OS and games) and have a secondary drive for non-vital programmes (office etc) which will give you quick boot times and game loading times.

Personally I think that sort of cash could be better spent, certainly the graphics card could be a lot lot better.

What's your budget? Do you need keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers?

I would get onto the overclockers.co.uk or hexus.net forums and check out spec threads people post and post one your self and see what people are recommending.
Russ

25th Oct 10 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Speak to the people at scan, they will build one to your spec and send it out to you. I've bought all my bits from there and cant fault them at all.
so much of THIS ^^

Scan 3xs systems are what your after if you're a novice PC builder
jamied

25th Oct 10 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Register on overclockers then tell them budget.and spec and they will do you a spec. Shop around for prices

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

25th Oct 10 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Go with Intel over AMD - AMD have some impressive clock speeds but Intel's (at the moment) offer better overall performance.

I'd also opt for a SSD as your main partition (for OS and games) and have a secondary drive for non-vital programmes (office etc) which will give you quick boot times and game loading times.

Personally I think that sort of cash could be better spent, certainly the graphics card could be a lot lot better.

I would get onto the overclockers.co.uk or hexus.net forums and check out spec threads people post and post one your self and see what people are recommending.

SSD is a bit overkill. Sata drives are still impressive and the cost per pound for SSD isnt worth it yet.
Russ

25th Oct 10 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

SSD is a bit overkill. Sata drives are still impressive and the cost per pound for SSD isnt worth it yet.
Couldn't agree more.
Ryan

25th Oct 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea i do need a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers, im starting from scratch.

I dont really want to spend more than £850, i just want something that will run the games that i want to play without any problems, have a good size memory and needs to be able to connect via wireless.
Dom

25th Oct 10 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

As soon as you take performance into consideration, SSDs are fairly well priced. Granted they are probably more suited to workplace applications where SSDs can save you a lot of time/money rather than gaming - although there are plenty of gamers on overclockers/hexus forums that would argue that.

As for pre-built systems like Scan/Overclockers, they include items that aren't really needed - ie: £12 SD card readers (if you need one ebay for a £1 jobby, works just as well), £25 for imaging of the drive (can do that yourself for free). Might be worth phoning them though and seeing if you can remove those items as the saved cash will get your a CPU/Graphics card upgrade over on Scan.
You could also drop the OS, but it depends how legit you want it all.

I'd also keep an eye out on Hotukdeals.com as you can get a decent deal on a monitor and it'll be cheaper than including one with the pre-built system.
ajscorsa

25th Oct 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-2-8GHz-8GB-FAST-GAMING-DESKTOP-PC-SYSTEM-/200482264172?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2eadac946c#ht_4298wt_905
Ryan

25th Oct 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is just so many things out there that for someone like me (who hasnt got a clue what they are looking at) it is impossible to decide what i need.

New Poll