corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Who was saying about Realism in Racing Games? F1 Sim etc?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who was saying about Realism in Racing Games? F1 Sim etc?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
11th Dec 07 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically many of you know about Live For Speed, but most of you will have played it years ago, or just the demo, or not with a wheel at all.

Thing is with this simulation, is it's constantly changing and evolving.

Their latest patch, has quite a few new changes in it pushing the realism to a almost silly level. For example including forced manual clutch, and clutch wear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b26HuguLwFI

^^

In this video, the guy shows how he's test driving a new BMW single seater in real life, and then put it in the game.

You see there's going to be a competition next year called V1 Championship (in search of a new racing driver!) - and they're actually going to use Live For Speed to help select drivers! in the elimination stage.

This just proves that people in the racing world, admit that LFS is realistic enough to be used as a judge of how well someone could drive the car in real life.

To be quick in LFS, you need a wheel... and you need to be able to drive! This is completely different to most of these 'realistic' games, such as Forza 2, GT5 etc... which is just pure arcadey in the driving style and not very realistic (you can brake / lift off / change gear mid corner and not have much effect to your car's handling).

Chris_UK has more details on this as he's trialing the patch at the mo.
Marc

11th Dec 07 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmotron I believe.
Steve
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would give it a shot if it worked on consoles, im not much into pc gaming
AndyKent

11th Dec 07 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^

Would love it on a console, but can't be bothered on a PC
Steve
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wrote them a little email, wont do much but may get them thinking

quote:
Hello there,

Just wondering if it would be possible for you guys to consider porting it to the consoles, namely the xbox 360.

I know its a simulator as such, but I think the market is there, as the game is mainly online it would take advantage of the massive 360 community out there, and as the 360 is based on directx wouldnt imagine it would be too hard to do the port.

I know your probably going to say the game wouldnt be served justice on a hald held controller, and your right, but you can get very good force feedback wheels for the 360, i have one myself, which would be used to great effect.

Regards
Steve
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem with Xbox 360 is distribution I'd imagine...

LFS is not sold on CD, it's downloaded by it's users for PC, and patched regularily / updated.

I'm unsure whether Xbox Live could handle that, and people realise they're paying for a on going project / product.

It would also need a disclaimer to not bother with the controller.

I'm considering giving my cousin my DFP wheel and upgrading to the G25 Chris uses. The thing with this game online, is that it is truely a test of the better driver (maybe a bit on skill of setup), and the wheel can make such a difference.

Now if they're putting in the 'forced' manual clutch rule, I'll need a G25 so I can at least clutch down if I spin or something, to avoid stalling, as otherwise that could cost me the race.

While being at uni, I've purposely not brought my wheel with me, as the game is seriously addictive, racing against real people and using actual skill to control the cars.

It's a great feeling too, when you join a server, see the average pace... you'll initially be like 3 secs at least off this pace (if not more)... you do a few laps, learn a few braking points and then get closer to the average pace, make a couple of tweaks and then get on the normal pace. But no where near the 'fast' pace people. Then just lap after lap you knock your time down, learn you can go flat through there, brake later there, use trailing throttle there to turn in sharper etc... end up being on the pace. Then you finally win

and you know your going good when everyone on the server says "Paul J can you send me your setup please?" - anotherwords, they want to know how I was able to go so quick, and assume it was down to the setup and assume that with my setup they can go as quick as me. The problem is, most of my setup's are publicly used, or standard ish... so when I give them my setup they soon realise it wasn't the setup giving them the advantage.

The other great thing of skill with the game is that, mostly in most of the cars, driving smooth, not oversteering / power sliding is the quickest ways... but there is always times that it can get you quicker through some section / past someone / frustration. And so I generally drive fairly hard, but this kills my tyres and so I'm racing RWD having to constantly correct my car's oversteer, but there's someone else running a more stable setup with more down force or different tyres, that is just driving a smooth line, but we can both be similar pace, with advantages in different parts of the track.

Hard to explain till you try it. Seriously steve I wish I could let you have a go on a proper wheel in the recent versions.

Though Some people are so quick, I dont know how they do time's that are still like 1 - 2 secs quicker than me, lap after lap! I can only assume it's their setup
Cosmo

11th Dec 07 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt this kind of contradict what you were saying in the other thread about the market place not wanting an ultra realistic game?!
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is normal Live For Speed

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9kuIC8gG4

Remember every car is a real person sitting behind a wheel on their computer - as this is an online Racing sim! not offline against computer players.
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
doesnt this kind of contradict what you were saying in the other thread about the market place not wanting an ultra realistic game?!

No - because this is a niche market... which was the exact point I made in the other thread. Hence, there's only at best about 1000 players playing it online at any time.

The guy's arn't rich because they made it and sold it, because it only appeals to real enthusiasts - that basically want to race in a realistic sim, online against real people, requiring real skill to drive using a wheel + pedals.

But then they didn't make it to sell millions of copies, they made it as they enjoy driving and knew other similar minded people wanted something as realistic themselves.

If your dad was investing in a product, he'd want to get his money back? so he'd want to invest in some Need for speed / new arcade Racing shite - that everyone will buy coz they can race on a game pad and 'think' they're a driving god when they're actually using practically no skill, other than bumping off walls or driving the correct line.
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also another LFS vid (bit old)

of why 'he' (we) play LFS!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvj0iY1Zig
Cosmo

11th Dec 07 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trying to find some stats for LFS, can only find the fact the forums have 23,000 members.
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeh and LFS server's are full of real life karters / some real racer's in lower levels of motorsport.
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Trying to find some stats for LFS, can only find the fact the forums have 23,000 members.

http://www.lfsworld.net

one of the great features of LFS mate everything is logged, your lap times, your skins, your races, your mileage etc!! Number of players online (a graph showing how many through the hours etc)

You can look up anyone on there, including me PaulJ_85 and R3DMan (Chris_UK).

also on the main page for their sim http://www.liveforspeed.net it tells you players online.

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by Paul_J]
Cosmo

11th Dec 07 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH I do get what you are getting at (I did in the other thread) but is kinda off at a tangent to what I was really asking originally Although its still interesting to know!
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm quite shocked that the servers are peaking at 1300 players at the mo! I'm sure when i last played it was only about 400 ish...

Though look at that first graph! over 600 players of the 1000 online are DEMO players... i.e. not wanting to pay!

Though they're missing out as demo servers are full of idiots who can't drive and crash you off at first corner, plus lack of good cars / tracks.

But only about 300-400 there of real paying people online.

see there on my stats last time i played 07-Oct I miss it hah.

My stats suck too, only 108 wins, - bout 50% of all my finishes being on podium though... but quite a lot where i didn't quite get there proves how hard it is
Steve
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found it laggy and jerky when playing online
Steve
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul online distribution would be easy via the live system
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i found it laggy and jerky when playing online

When was this? what connection were you on and was this demo or real?

I get no lag at all, and everyone playing real version seems to be ok... Replays (vids usually shown after a jerky, coz of the way the replay is stored) but the game race lag is rare, you may get the odd person lagging but they usually get kicked off the server for it.

Also Cosmo... this is what I'm talking about 'niche' market ... some people take it a 'little' too seriously...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vpC2HB3HK_U&feature=related

Look at the state of his setup, shift light
Steve
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Hi Steve,

At the moment we don't have any plans to port LFS to consoles.

We are so busy working on developing LFS that we simply don't have time to
consider it at the moment.

Thanks
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Live for speed again!

NICHE MARKET!! Though I think this would honestly make me feel sick

cosmo look at it for 'simulator'

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ryZY56EmI&feature=related
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a 3 man team steve.
Paul_J

11th Dec 07 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at this simulator

F1 team sim

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MwzG0-5QgfQ&feature=related
Steve
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
It's a 3 man team steve.

get more men then
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
It's a 3 man team steve.

get more men then

they have no reason to.
Steve
Premium Member

11th Dec 07 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the do if it means they can bring it out on a console

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll