corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » SSDs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SSDs
gravesy

User status: Offline
8th Jun 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at getting a new PC from Overclockers or similar for around £600 in the next couple of months. To make it easier for myself I was going to take whatever drive they fit in it and use that as a data drive and use a SSD for the OS and programs I use most often - Illustrator, Firefox, Photoshop etc.

Question is: Should I buy the SSD now and stick it in my current PC in the mean time?

I've got a drive for OS and a seperate one for data. The OS drive is 150GB but has only 45GB of data on it which I could squeeze down to under that to get a cheaper 40GB SSD.

Next question: What drives should I avoid/go for? Looking around the £80-£150 mark.
ed

8th Jun 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't solid state drives start at the £150 mark?
John

8th Jun 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have 45gb of data just now a 40gb ssd won't be much use, you want plenty of free space on the OS drive, not filling it to capacity.
gravesy

9th Jun 10 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Don't solid state drives start at the £150 mark?

Few here in that bracket http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=14&subid=910&sortby=priceAsc

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you have 45gb of data just now a 40gb ssd won't be much use, you want plenty of free space on the OS drive, not filling it to capacity.

I've got a 500GB data drive. I can move a lot of data to that but the stuff I want to load quickly like Illustrator and PS I'll put on the SSD.

New Poll