corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Worth buying an SSD now?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Worth buying an SSD now?
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   26th Oct 10 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the Alienware now for 4 months, love it it's brilliant.

Just wondering if now is the time to buy a SSD for it? Fancy sticking a non-alienware-branded version of Windows 7 on it and getting it running sweet!

£160 for a 128GB drive seems reasonable to me...

Looking at:

http://www.dabs.com/products/kingston-128gb-ssdnow-v-series-sata-300-2-5--6LTZ.html?refs=4294948431
Nismo

27th Oct 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why get such a large SSD, just get a 40Gb SSD for like £50 and whack the OS on it, then stick a 500gb / 1Tb SATA in for docs & data.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Oct 10 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Why get such a large SSD, just get a 40Gb SSD for like £50 and whack the OS on it, then stick a 500gb / 1Tb SATA in for docs & data.

that would be great if the laptop could have 2 harddiscs
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Oct 10 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but i would stay its not worth it unless your running apps that you want to open quicker or games.
noshua

27th Oct 10 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do these drives still have a limited number of read/write cycles as well as the speed dramatically decreasing as the drive fills up?
Neo

27th Oct 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Do these drives still have a limited number of read/write cycles as well as the speed dramatically decreasing as the drive fills up?

They used to, we managed to kill a few SSD's in a matter of days constantly writing data to them. This was about 3 1/2 years ago however. I would hope they have sorted the issue by now though.
Rob_Quads

27th Oct 10 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
£160 for a 128GB drive seems reasonable to me...

Looking at:

http://www.dabs.com/products/kingston-128gb-ssdnow-v-series-sata-300-2-5--6LTZ.html?refs=4294948431

Its cheaper because its the older gen slower version. IMO its not worth going for an SSD unless you go for one of the faster ones which are currently around the 190 mark for one that does Read 285MB/s, Write 275MB/s. These are approaching the most we are going to see from the SATA2 breed of SSDs.

The speeds are only going to get quicker but soon will be limited by other things i.e. SATA3 discs will be when they really start to make a huge difference but then you will need SATA3 capable hardware which is quite rate at the moment.

Take a look at scan - they are very good at showing the comparitive speeds of the discs in the titles which make comparing them much eaier i.e. http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Hard-Drives-SSD/Solid-State-Drives-%28SSD-18-25%29-80GB-500GB
pow
Premium Member

27th Oct 10 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure that the M11x is SATA3 compatable though
Bart

27th Oct 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought 3x 60gb Samsung SSDs when they were on offer @ £90 each! they're back up tpo £153.

Raid 0 on SSD is the way to go

Like the kingston, Ive got the MLC which is marginally slower, although the sammy MLC is faster than the kingston IIRC.

Without any question, buying / raiding the samsung SSD's is the fastest and most noticable upgrade ive ever witnessed.

Ive got 8GB Ram and an Intel QX9650 and it thunders along

[Edited on 27-10-2010 by Bart]
pow
Premium Member

29th Oct 10 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting the idea that this isn't worth it really. The M11x is a laptop with one 2.5@ SATA bay.

I might just buy a 1TB drive and use that now

New Poll