corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 'Bagged & Boosted' 5 Door

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'Bagged & Boosted' 5 Door
MarkSport

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 11 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want them wheels for my astra so bad
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update:

Rear wheels on

Front end built back up and on all 4 wheels

went out for a quick lap of the block, drives nice & pulls well

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Jon_C
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lookin awesome dude. When is she in for mot ? What else you got planned for it?
Kieran
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well jel!
Jamie-C

3rd Dec 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Danny, she lives at last
M Sutton

3rd Dec 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet dude!! I really want to see it now.wheels look awesome too
Paul_JC

3rd Dec 11 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good but you should have fitted metal valves imo lol hope to see this in the flesh sometime soon
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top stuff Danny!

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
vx-scottw
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at last she's up and running
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

4th Dec 11 at 01:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah glad you got it going Danny! All the effort paid off Much left before an MOT?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Crana

4th Dec 11 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ebay link for that loom rap?
Danny W
Premium Member

11th Dec 11 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_C
Lookin awesome dude. When is she in for mot ? What else you got planned for it?

Cheers Jon, will be going in for mot over xmas when ive got a few days off, for now plans are to get it on the road and usable. but do want a bit more painting doing and possible bigger turbo in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by M Sutton
Sweet dude!! I really want to see it now.wheels look awesome too

thanks Mark, yeah your welcome to pop over and have a look whenever you like buddy.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_JC
looking good but you should have fitted metal valves imo lol hope to see this in the flesh sometime soon

aha knew someone would spot that, ive got a set of flush fits and a set of metals, i'll fit one or the other when the new tyres are ordered.

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H
Ah glad you got it going Danny! All the effort paid off Much left before an MOT?

deffo paid off, just a few things, horn and tidy wiring in the car etc. she's a bit smokey too so should get that sorted before an mot.

quote:
Originally posted by Crana
ebay link for that loom rap?

this is the stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270722752320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Update:
Had the car running and been for a few runs round the block but noticed on hot idle she was a bit smokey.
Had a look at the breathers and coolant levels but all is fine. so first thought was a old tired turbo. Had a a look underneath the car and noticed this:

as you can see this is the cause of the smoke, turbo seems to be leaking oil through the core and its burning away through the exhaust system, nothing is leaking into the intercooler.

Im guessing its had a hard life anyway but no oil pressure from the last build couldnt have helped either lol so now its got a good 80psi through it is forcing the oil through the seals.

I've seen a rebuild kit for the kkk turbo's on a few websites so will be ordering tha today.
the kit contains all the seals and o rings, shaft nut, 360 thrust bearing, thrust collar & a K16 Staggered rear oil seal, which helps stop the oil blowing past and into the exhaust on higher boost.

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Paul_JC

11th Dec 11 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah always something to pop up. hopefully all will be sweet once you've rebuilt the turbo mate
connollygt30

12th Dec 11 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No smoke no poke mate
Jon_C
Premium Member

26th Dec 11 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any progress with this dude?
Danny W
Premium Member

27th Dec 11 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_C
Any progress with this dude?

Yep a bit of progress so far, now that ive got work, xmas and all the usual things done i'll update

Recieved my turbo rebuild kit so have given it a go.

Started off by removing the unit from the manifold

then stripped the housing off

youve now got the turbo core, this needs to be marked up before anything else is touched, due to turbo's spinning at such a high rpm you dont want them to be out of balence. Mark both ends (nuts & wheels)

then you can take the first nut and wheel of the inlet side

this allows you to pull the shaft and exhaust side out

this was the side that was leaking oil, closer inspection shows the shaft is good and it was the rear seal that had failed.

as you can see above there was a lot of oil deposits and a lot of swarf, which i presume came from the previous engine failures just goes to show this shite get everywhere

on the opposite side of the turbo once the shaft and wheels are removed you will be left with this:

this plate has another oil seal on & in it and is what the housing is attatched to, you need to remove this by undoing the 4 allen head bolt seen here,

once removed this is what lies beneath, oil seal, thrust bearing & the bearings for the shaft.

this turbo had no play in it and it was just a rear seal failure that was causing the problem, but due to finding the ammount of swarf i decided to strip all the internals out of the core clean up and replace them

this is the rebuild kit i am using:

to build this back up its reverse of the above taking care to lubricate everything as your go. (sorry for lack of photo's of this) once the core is built up and the shaft/wheels & nuts are all aligned its reccomended to get the balancing checked.

More photo's and updates this week when the turbo goes back on the car

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Danny W
Premium Member

27th Dec 11 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry for the lack of technical jargon but hopefully the above will help for future reference if someone else wants to rebuild thier old and tired K16

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Darryl H
Premium Member

27th Dec 11 at 18:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work and write up Danny!

Danny W
Premium Member

27th Dec 11 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Darryl, ive got a week off work so hopefully more to come over the next few days

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
connollygt30

28th Dec 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play for giving it a go mate
Danny W
Premium Member

30th Dec 11 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers buddy, turbo's all refitted now and had the car running for an hour or so the other afternoon, seems to have done the job as it has cured the leak and it no longer smokes

unfortunately rain has stopped play the past couple of days so i havent been able to do much more on the car

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
corsasportsam

30th Dec 11 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good work mate.... love this motor best 5 door one ive seen imo
Darryl H
Premium Member

30th Dec 11 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great news there then Danny

I bet you can't wait to get it back on the road now!

M Sutton

30th Dec 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad youve sorted the turbo problem mate! Fair play for rebuilding it yourself
Danny W
Premium Member

31st Dec 11 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Sam always good tar comments like that! i know there's getting quite a few nice 5 doors out there now

Darryl, yeah im chuffed as hopefully its saved me a bit of cash, too right im itching to go for a drive in it

Cheers Mark yeah i thought id give it a go, if it didnt work i'd have needed a new turbo anyway

Rain has finally cleared up ! so spent a few hours today tiding a few things, re-fitting the interior panels, horn, lights, tow strap and bumper, tried to get all the body work to line up how it should too.

you'll have to excuse the white tape as its just holding the front of the skirt in place while the tigerseal sets overnight .. and tucked away till tomorrow

still havent been able to go for a drive as of yet due to the poorly vauxhall sitting on the drive behind my turbo but here's another video of it running after the turbo rebuild

need to go for a quick blast to make sure all is as it should be then hopefully on to mot, once thats out of the way i'll get it sitting right on the wheels (front end down a tad)

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 'Bagged & Boosted' 5 Door 24 database queries in 0.2070692 seconds