corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 'Bagged & Boosted' 5 Door

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'Bagged & Boosted' 5 Door
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 11 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got to re fit the bumper, battery, PAS pump belt, wiper arms/blades. Refill with oil & filter check levels & lights then im good to go

[Edited on 23-09-2011 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

23rd Sep 11 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome, not long then!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
fr4nny

23rd Sep 11 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this car looks mint
M Sutton

24th Sep 11 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes danny,im not quite sure where you live but often see your bro drive by. Look forward to seeing on the road, been way to long!
Danny W
Premium Member

27th Sep 11 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H
Awesome, not long then!

maybe longer than i thought just had the car running, cold idle pressure is fine at just over 2.6 bar but as it warms up it started to drop a bit too much and the top end started getting tappy had the rocker off and cranked it over to see what the oil was flowing like. Gets to the exhaust cam fine and coats it perfect .. inlet cam on the other hand is as dry as a nuns looks like ive a blocked oilway which is a bit of a bastard as i 100% blew them with the compressor

Mark: yeah your literally 5mins walk rom mine me an my bro are up near steve brit's its been wayy to long your right and im getting bored of my rusty ol rover

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
thomasgc

28th Sep 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking nice for a 5 door man, keep up the good work
Danny W
Premium Member

28th Sep 11 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers thomas

had a thread on migweb with reguards to the blocked oilway

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/481692-c20let-no-oil-inlet-cam.html

i really have no idea what to do with this now, getting fed up with spunking money on something that doesn't work

[Edited on 28-09-2011 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Paul_JC

29th Sep 11 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any news on this danny? can imagine how frustrating it is putting money into something with problems popping up alot. Hopefully you will get some good luck with it soon.
Danny W
Premium Member

29th Sep 11 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No news with it really bud, i've 100% got a blocked oilway somewhere and according to a few people this still shouldn't cause the pressure to drop again. I'm literally going to try and clear the oil ways by blowing out the head with the compressor.

You can access them by taking out the grub screws near exhaust manifold and on the dizzy side of the engine. i'll take it step by step and see if i can get it unblocked And if i do i'll see where i stand.

as for the low oil pressure, i have no idea, new pump, new reliefe valve, but like a few people have also said it sounds like a leak or air getting into the oil feed allowing the pressure to bleed off.

I will double check the oil pick up pipe etc. but i really cant be bothered with stripping this head and block back down spending the hours and money on it to find another problem.

I'll see where i stand with the blockage etc. but another option is to get another tall engine (block/head) built up by someone like steveboyslim on mig and literally bolt all my ancilliaries etc. on to it and drop that into the car.

although it pains me to say it but i could always cut my losses sell everything on and just go by something else .. i've always fancied a nice scooby, being 25 at the end of the year i might now be able to get insured on one :/

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Paul_JC

29th Sep 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah right well ive got my fingers crossed that you manag to find the problem and cure it at the least expense possible.
Would be a shame for this project to not be finished by yourself but i can see where you are coming from so all we can do is wait and see.
Darryl H
Premium Member

29th Sep 11 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone has moments like that mate, quite a few people on here would have been in that boat. I had problems with the XE that almost made me stop it and get rid but it was definately worth it after it all

No point starting it without finishing it to see what a beast you have really made

Generation

1st Oct 11 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also been in that boat. Makes the finish line more worthwhile
Danny W
Premium Member

1st Oct 11 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replies, had the grub screws out and blew the oil ways through.. the ammount of swarf that came out was unbelieveble. I now have oil to the inlet cam.

Oil pressure on the other hand, well i dont know where to start. cold idle is 40 psi and it drops dramatically after ten mins warming up to about 10psi which is totally wrong and means there are bigger problems.
This engine can basically fuck off now as im not stripping it down again, when a bearing fails like it did the swarf is a bitch to clean out and i guess i've found out the hard way again.

Car is going to be tucked away in the garage now till next year

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Kieran
Premium Member

1st Oct 11 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah man that's not good. You have no idea why it's doing it then?
M Sutton

1st Oct 11 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats rubbish mate.absolutely gutted for you after all the hard work and £ youve put into it!! I hope you get it sorted sometime soon.
Danny W
Premium Member

3rd Oct 11 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kieran, not good at all. Its all down to the Low oil pressure but what has or is causing it i dont know and wont know untill or if i start measuring everything in the engine.

I know Mark been an absolute bastard so far this car still i guess thats what you get for jumping in at the deep end with a LET .. and trusting someone elses work

I have had another look at it this weekend, dropped the oil and found a fair bit of swarf and a general crap in the sump.
ive popped a cap of and had a look at the big ends which are scored .. again! i took the relief valve out had a look and it moves free perfect, i even added a couple of shims to try raise the pressure a tad.
Ive removed the oil cooler and found a lot of crap came out of it.

once all that was done i put it all back together (minus the oil cooler) put fresh oil in and used a mechanical oil pressure guage, cranked it over to get pressure then fired it up.
oil pressure was at about 38 psi and slowly dropped to 15 ish psi.b(should be between 70 - 80 psi on a new build)
also noticed when revved it does knock at about 1500rpm - 2000rpm.

think its safe to say its fucked .. again, at a guess new crank, mains, big ends, pump, head off to clean all the oil ways etc. but thats for another day, i really havent the time or space to be stripping it all out and doing a full rebuild. Thats the reason i bought one that had suposedly been done its just a shame it never went right from the start.

I cant tell you how tempted and how much i've wanted to take it for a lil drive up the bypass and give it the full beans till it spits its guts seriously wanted to vent my anger aha

on a brighter note i shall still be working on the corsa and it shall be living in the garage over the winter months to help protect it a little
Also been speaking to a Lad on here that is going to be doing a big spec build in his astra, this means his current LET engine (block/head all timed up) will be up for sale in the near future this also means i can go and view the engine see it running and he'll take it out for a drive with me

so the story continues

[Edited on 03-10-2011 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Darryl H
Premium Member

3rd Oct 11 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unlucky mate, new engine sounds good though! It's taken this long another few months won't kill you

Paul_JC

3rd Oct 11 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This sounds good on one note but not so much on the other. Im glad you are sticking with it in the long run though mate.
Danny W
Premium Member

30th Oct 11 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few parts and things have been bought for the next build, C20LET tall engine off cemex, top bloke to deal with. Saw this engine running before it came out of the calibra & has only done 6k since rebuild

1.5" Lips for my BBS's this will give me half inch wider at the rear

Also have an XE inlet cam + Verniers

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
SeanXE

30th Oct 11 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good, keep at it mate
Darryl H
Premium Member

30th Oct 11 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good update!

Jed D

30th Oct 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one looks good
M Sutton

30th Oct 11 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet! Hopefully it will go better this time mate
Danny W
Premium Member

30th Oct 11 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, I'll have a better update & write up once i've started cleaning it up/painting and fitting everything.

Engine has basically had a full re-build 6k ago, it had the coscast head re-built with new seals and z20let gasket , new rings along with the bores honed , new shells (mains & big ends) arp bolts fitted along with the z20let oil pump and modified pick up pipe. Ive got all the reciepts for the work, its the later type let engine aswell. and it didnt half pull in the calibra it came out of so should be more than enough in the corsa XE inlet cam was bought as they are a slightly higher lift than the let cams, this with a set of verniers dialed in should add a bit of a gain too.

will crack on with this over winter as want to be using the car properly next year

hope to make a bit of cash back from the old engine, either sell as a tall engine in need of a rebuild or will strip and sell everything seperate, bare block/head etc.

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
garyrsts2

30th Oct 11 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alot of people would give up after knowing their engine shat itself. good to see your not. good work so far. i never really liked the 5 doors but this is a lovely example

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 'Bagged & Boosted' 5 Door 24 database queries in 0.1070240 seconds