corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Network Harddrive won't show on network?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Network Harddrive won't show on network?
Whittie

User status: Offline
14th Apr 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a network hardrive that has been plugged into my router for months, all fine and dandy.

The drives have just vanished, so i reset router / hardrive and nothing.

Plugged it into my laptop directly and all the files and folders are still there, no problems there....

Why has it randomly vanished? No settings have been changed....

I've re-installed the hardware, and gone through a basic setup again, still won't show.

I've tried to re-map the drives but it doesn't even show up on my network to map.

I've also gone into the router config, and it shows on the ethernet 2 socket (I've moved it to ethernet 1 and still doesnt show...)

Any ideas, as it's just annoying me now

[Edited on 14-04-2010 by Whittie]
noshua

14th Apr 10 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you access it manually? never bothered using a network drive but I assume you can access them via \\DRIVENAME?
Dom

14th Apr 10 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set it up with a static ip address and access it that way
Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Josh - Yes they used to be set up like that.

When I click "Browse" now, there's literally nothing there apart from my C:/

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Set it up with a static ip address and access it that way

I could do that, but I shouldn't have to. I should be able to just have my drives lying on my network as they were "U: V: X: Y: & Z:"

I have no idea why it's being a cunt now though.

Homegroup is turned off aswell... incase that would affect it.
Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Home Hub...

Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's absolutely no reason for it not to be visible on the network... Wtf
Dom

14th Apr 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how comes it's been assigned an external ip? Have you tried accessing it via that ip address? Does it work?
As for setting it up with a static internal address, it just means that you don't rely on the hostname instead you add the network drive using the ip address.

[Edited on 14-04-2010 by Dom]
Chris
Premium Member

14th Apr 10 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like that upstream box has forwarded the dchp lease some how, so the ip is now an external range.

It possible that it would not route due to lease on the iomega box not having the 192.168.1.1 as 0.0.0.0

Best bet is to assign the ip via manual at 192.168.1.100 or something.

This way it will always be 100, but check subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 other wise the laptop on 64 not route to the whole 0-254 range.

Do you have any computers configured for port forwards or in DMZ?

Use statics, and have the dhcp on an un routable subnet that way even if you get hacked and an ip is given it would route out.

Also could be a ARP problem on the laptop, lease on iomega has renewed still thinks its old address.

Reboot would flush the ARP cache.
Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried that IP but nothing. That's the IP address it assigned itself.

I've completely deleted it now, and reset router...

Dom

14th Apr 10 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From looking at that i would (since the xbox is given an external ip as well) guess that Whittie has a number of static ips with his BB package (Business BT i'm guessing) and the NIC ports on the home hub are tied to those

As said, assign you NAS box (probably going to need to directly connect to the NAS box) an internal static ip address (in the 192.168.1.xxx range) and go from there.

Edit -
Quick question, if you plug one of your laptops via ethernet to the home hub, are you assigned an external ip?

Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Looks like that upstream box has forwarded the dchp lease some how, so the ip is now an external range.

It possible that it would not route due to lease on the iomega box not having the 192.168.1.1 as 0.0.0.0

Best bet is to assign the ip via manual at 192.168.1.100 or something.

This way it will always be 100, but check subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 other wise the laptop on 64 not route to the whole 0-254 range.

Do you have any computers configured for port forwards or in DMZ?

Use statics, and have the dhcp on an un routable subnet that way even if you get hacked and an ip is given it would route out.

Also could be a ARP problem on the laptop, lease on iomega has renewed still thinks its old address.

Reboot would flush the ARP cache.

No computers, but an xbox 360 configured in DMZ.

If i unassigned this, would it affect the way the hardrive assigned itself?

Why have the DHCP on an unroutable subnet? How would this help me mate.
John

14th Apr 10 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if it's external IP's it's a bit strange, it's normally a consecutive range you get.
Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
From looking at that i would (since the xbox is given an external ip as well) guess that Whittie has a number of static ips with his BB package (Business BT i'm guessing) and the NIC ports on the home hub are tied to those

As said, assign you NAS box an internal static ip address (in the 192.168.1.xxx range) and go from there

My statics:

Ian
Site Administrator

14th Apr 10 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would manually configure the IP on the network drive to a 192.168 address.

DHCP would assign on that range if that is where the DHCP server is. No idea why the NAS box would do that but it looks like it has.
Dom

14th Apr 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I would manually configure the IP on the network drive to a 192.168 address.

DHCP would assign on that range if that is where the DHCP server is. No idea why the NAS box would do that but it looks like it has.

I'm confused how the DHCP server has assigned it an external address whereas the laptop(s) have been given an internal ip range
Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely cracked, found an old D-Link router in the garage, i'm now using that.

Works a treat, must be about 5 years old
Andrew

14th Apr 10 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just going to say those BT routers are a bag of shite!! I hate them, never do what you configure the bastards to do. BT support is useless as well... I don't bother pissing about with them anymore and rip them straight out if i can.
Andrew

14th Apr 10 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

As said, assign you NAS box (probably going to need to directly connect to the NAS box) an internal static ip address (in the 192.168.1.xxx range) and go from there.

Edit -
Quick question, if you plug one of your laptops via ethernet to the home hub, are you assigned an external ip?

The hint is in Home Hub... I can't see anywhere that states 2wire
Andrew

14th Apr 10 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Even if it's external IP's it's a bit strange, it's normally a consecutive range you get.

Why would a NAS box have an external IP on an internal network The model Alex has is based at home users.
Dom

14th Apr 10 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Edit -

The hint is in Home Hub... I can't see anywhere that states 2wire

Isn't it still called Home Hub on the business side but the box is manufactured by 2Wire instead of Siemens?

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by John

Why would a NAS box have an external IP on an internal network The model Alex has is based at home users.

The NAS box was getting assigned an external address, 86.150.x.x, and i assumed that he was on a business package with a number of external static ips....
John

15th Apr 10 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesn't look like the 2wire interface but they normally are.

I don't know why a NAS box on the internal network has an external IP Andrew, that's why we are all discussing how strange it is.
Whittie

15th Apr 10 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 2 broadbands John. 1 for business and 1 for home. I've put a question up on here before regarding how shite BT Business broadband was... I'm assuming Dom has just remembered that.
Whittie

15th Apr 10 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ Bt Business broadband theads: http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=527845
pow
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you access that anywhere but at home? Seems like you have that drive setup in advance DMZ mode.

New Poll