corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless Connection

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless Connection
Andrew

User status: Offline
21st Oct 07 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the wireless key but the network is hidden. How do i connect?

There is a way, i just can't remember how i did it
radicalry00

21st Oct 07 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have to log in to the settings of the router and make it visible don't you? Then connect to it and then make it hidden again.

You may be able to connect directly to the router if you have the IP address and WEP but not sure.
Dan Lewis

21st Oct 07 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you know the name of the network?

ssid i think it is
1.2-Ls-Corsa

21st Oct 07 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you have to sety the SSID to be broadcasted normally in your router under wireless settings
Dan Lewis

21st Oct 07 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure you can add everything without needing to change the router settings
John

21st Oct 07 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to know the SSID.
What would be the point in being able to hide it if you had to broadcast to connect.
Andrew

21st Oct 07 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the name of the network and the wireless key. It just doesn't show the relevant network to connect to. I'll just make the network visible and conect that way.
John

21st Oct 07 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set up the connection manually, you can do it without making it visible.

Dom

21st Oct 07 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As john said, if you know the SSID name then create a manual connect and fill the SSID name in - pretty bloody easy to be honest. Otherwise, what would be the point in being able to hide your wireless connection and not be able to connect to it?

[Edited on 21-10-2007 by Dom]
1.2-Ls-Corsa

21st Oct 07 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unless your router is set to have to be on an access list to gain access. That is how my router works you need the WEP KEY and also you need to be accepted on the routers approved list
Dom

21st Oct 07 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1.2-Ls-Corsa
unless your router is set to have to be on an access list to gain access. That is how my router works you need the WEP KEY and also you need to be accepted on the routers approved list

most routers have mac filtering, though i would look into using WPA rather than WEP on your router (if it supports it), WEP is far from secure.
John

21st Oct 07 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might as well not have anything if using a WEP key imo.

If somebody stumbles across by chance they'll prob only look at their emails anyway, if somebody is trying and you have WEP thats just an invitation to abuse it.
ssj_kakarot

21st Oct 07 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

If somebody stumbles across by chance they'll prob only look at their emails anyway, if somebody is trying and you have WEP thats just an invitation to abuse it.

how many people do you think actually know how to crack wep encryption mabye 5% of the general public, seriously what are the chances that some one who can see your wireless network will

A: be able to break through your wep
B actually want to

if some one knows how to break into it they will have there own broadband any way for joe public im pretty sure they wont know/care.

And if people do access your net if you have no security why would they stop at emails? no doubt they would use websites/stream ect.

ssj_kakarot

21st Oct 07 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
As john said, if you know the SSID name then create a manual connect and fill the SSID name in - pretty bloody easy to be honest. Otherwise, what would be the point in being able to hide your wireless connection and not be able to connect to it?

i think he was working on the pemise of

he will turn the router to visible connect to it then turn it back into invisible mode, therefore making sure no one can see it in the future but he will still be connected.
Dom

21st Oct 07 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

he will turn the router to visible connect to it then turn it back into invisible mode, therefore making sure no one can see it in the future but he will still be connected.

yea thats great and all, but why do that? would take longer to switch the router to broadcast the SSID than type it into a box
John

21st Oct 07 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

how many people do you think actually know how to crack wep encryption mabye 5% of the general public, seriously what are the chances that some one who can see your wireless network will

B actually want to

if some one knows how to break into it they will have there own broadband any way for joe public im pretty sure they wont know/care.

And if people do access your net if you have no security why would they stop at emails? no doubt they would use websites/stream ect.

You either didn't read or didn't get my point.

The people who can't crack it will probably just read their emails if anything.
The people who can will.
ssj_kakarot

21st Oct 07 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

B actually want to

The people who can't crack it will probably just read their emails if anything.
The people who can will.

the people who can crack it probally do not live near you at all as they will be in the minority.

the peole who cant crack it will use it for more than emails, if some one who doesnt know much about pcs is using some one else's wireless then they dont have a wireless connection at home, most probally they have just got there laptop. Ergo they will use the connection they can get into for all there internet needs.

moral of the story, use wep if you want, it will stop 99% of people accessing your internet connection.

not every one is a geek, a small minority are.
ssj_kakarot

21st Oct 07 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

yea thats great and all, but why do that? would take longer to switch the router to broadcast the SSID than type it into a box

yeah thats great and all, i wasnt saying its the best soloution, i wasnt even suggesting doing that, i was saying that it what it sounds like he was going to do.

and theres nothing wrong with that if he found it easier to do it like that, then why not?
ssj_kakarot

21st Oct 07 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and before you say bla bla bla im god read up on wep ect.

i know it only takes around 3 secs to extract a wep key, i know its very easy to do if you know how to.

my point is your average joe will not know or think about breaking into a wep connection.

so why advise some one to not use it ? if its going to stop the general public gaining access.

and yes i know there are far better ways to protect your system.

New Poll