corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » wireless security question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wireless security question
--Dave--
Banned

User status: Offline
19th May 06 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the middle of setting up a wireless network. Everything is working and I have it set up so that when the ethernet cable is disconnect the wireless kicks in and carries on the connection, works fine.

However, when I try and enable the wireless security the connection is dropped and when i try and get onto the internet i just get page cannot be displayed. I think this is something to do with the mac address but I'm not sure what I have to do to get the laptop to talk directly to the modem. Any ideas please?

Cheers

Dave
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
19th May 06 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are enabling WEP or WPA on the router then you must supply each client with the key.
--Dave--
Banned

19th May 06 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the key on the bottom of the router. I've entered this on the homepage and when i try to connect it says page cannot be displayed. I then have to connect the ethernet cable and restablish the connection again
Ian
Site Administrator

19th May 06 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No no, the key is something you supply randomly, but you must note it down temporarily and put it in both router and computer.

The number on the bottom of the router is probably the MAC address.
--Dave--
Banned

19th May 06 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought mac addresses were split up as follows : 45-56-99-88-55-c9 for example.

the key on the bottom of the router is just a standard 10 digit code that i apparently can use as my custom encryption key.

By the way im using a 2wire BT1800HG
Ian
Site Administrator

19th May 06 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You make up the key - you shouldn't really use a number which you have been assigned.
Dan B

19th May 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have seen one of these (the BT1800HG routers) for the first time, tonight, they do have a factory-standard WEP key supplied with them, based on the serial-number of the device (which is stamped on the bottom of it). I don't remember, from the settings of my mate's router, seeing any form of MAC-address security settings.

{edit} When I say "factory-standard", I don't mean they're all the same, I mean they're all different to each other because they're based upon the unique serial-code given to the device.

[Edited on 19-05-2006 by Dan B]
Ian
Site Administrator

19th May 06 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So they're configured to have the key already, and you just enter that in your clients?
Dan B

19th May 06 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct...
--Dave--
Banned

19th May 06 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes Dan, they're each assigned a different encryption key from the factory. You can use this custom one or a default key for your encryption.

I have just entered the MAC address on the laptop so it can identify the modem. I'm hoping this will work.
Dan B

19th May 06 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate's version has had the wireless pack up on it......works fine if configured with the ethernet cable, but as soon as you unplug it and try to use the wireless-network enabled and configured on the router, the laptop just sits there and fails to find anything, even with sat right next to it, as does his computer upstairs with a wireless card plugged into it.

He's calling them in the morning, now he knows what the problem is, and hopefully should get a warranty-replacement.

I have to say, having seen them, it didn't inspire me with confidence in them. Light-weight, tacky/cheap plastic look, felt like it'd fall apart in my hands. At least the old EN5681 (I believe it was called) felt robust and like it would last a good few decades, even if they did have a tendency to burst into flames from the heat-output!
--Dave--
Banned

19th May 06 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my wireless works, im just a bit reluctant to start doing my internet banking on it lol

New Poll