corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » another HDD question....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author another HDD question....
Doug

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 07 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently have a toshiba external HDD for my laptop yet I have run out of storage space

Can you buy such a thing as an external HDD case that has space for two HDDs in it?that way I wouldnt need to have another USB lead plugged into the laptop and another power socket being used!

Does that make sense at all?
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Aug 07 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can also buy such things as bigger hdd's with more space
Doug

23rd Aug 07 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this....

But I want too have two HDDs in a external case as i will fil them up eventually
Doug

23rd Aug 07 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking on ebuyer there are such things as big network storage things but they talk about them being servers?

example being here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124390/rb/0
James_DT

23rd Aug 07 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Network Attached Storage.
It's just a fileserver, plug it in, connect it to the network and there you go.
It's got the advantage that you can have it accessible from anywhere on the network (so you can have the laptop wireless), but the network is slower than the USB.
John

23rd Aug 07 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will you ever need both external hdd's plugged into a laptop
Rob_Quads

24th Aug 07 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you always use your laptop at home or are you going to be moving about with it?

If just staying at home a NAS is the best solution, then you can get a big drive in it and there are also 2 disk ones and ones with backup etc.

If you use it on the move there are dual drive units but they are usually very bulky.

What sort of size HDD are you looking at. Might be worth looking at the Portable 120GB drives out there which are all USB powered - then you at least don't have to carry around a power supply
Doug

24th Aug 07 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the NAS ones do I plug it into USB on my laptop? Or would I have to make it a network drive plugged into the router? Beacuse I wouldnt mind doing that but I would want a way of passwording some of the files etc as I will be at uni next month and theres some stuff on there that I woldnt want my whole flat going through (Like pictures and documents etc)
Dom

24th Aug 07 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the problem with NAS is the fact that it isn't very fast, so can take ages to do backups and move stuff around. But there pretty useful if you want to beable to access the files across the network. And i believe if formatted for NTFS then you can setup permissions - but im not 100% sure on that (one of the network guys on here will beable to answer that one).

And if you worried about people going through your drive, then i would take it with you
Doug

24th Aug 07 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basicly I am after a USB one that has space for either two drives or one that has alot of storage for a reasonable price
Rob_Quads

24th Aug 07 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
the problem with NAS is the fact that it isn't very fast, so can take ages to do backups and move stuff around.

If you are doing something like a backup just use the wired connection. Most laptops now have Gigabit ports and a decent NAS will have too - that will be more than fast enough - just as fast as a USB2 connection

New Poll