corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » BT Line Activation

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BT Line Activation
dannymccann

User status: Offline
14th Feb 10 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the second time in a year we need to pay this (got it for £30 through Sky last time).

Any offers on at the minute? Need to stay with Sky really due to transferring contract in the minimum term from this house
Colin

14th Feb 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT do it for free last I checked, normally £125 or so.

I got mine via Sky for £39.
dannymccann

14th Feb 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At a guess though that would mean taking BT line rental for a horrendous period of time? Im going to ring Sky tomorrow, will use the work phone on 0844 numbers
Colin

14th Feb 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you need to sign up to a phone sevice package for a year.

After much mulling it over I went with Sky for TV phone & net.

Free HD boxes & free installation atm
dannymccann

14th Feb 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea with them currently for the 3 packages on Sky+, no complaints really. We cant live without the internet, so it seems silly to pay £125 connection, then £12 a month for a phone (which we never use ) then another what £10 - £20 a month on broadband, when another few quid gets you recording facilities for your TV. We could survive with freeview no doubt, though, landlines are such a waste of money
Andrew

14th Feb 10 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at PlusNet. Free activation on a 12 month contract but 80GB cap

I'm trying to get an all round package with free calls all day and to 0845 / 0870. Excuse to put it on my expenses each month then Just the cap that's putting me off.
Cavey

15th Feb 10 at 05:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've had sky for a year, cancel it, and take out a new contract for the new place. (I just used my girlfriends name instead of mine. All my bank details still though)

We're using Astral as they installed the first fit system in the house, and it would of been £149 to transfer sky, then £125 for BT install, but they suggested cancel and start as a new customer.

It's now gonna cost £39 for Sky phone line install, £30 for installation of Sky, so a saving of about £200 on transferring stuff. Sky line rental is £11 iirc, and I think they've still got the 6 months free internet deal as well

The BT free installation deal finished at the end of Jan unless they extended it again, but was an 18 month contract.

[Edited on 15-02-2010 by Cavey]

[Edited on 15-02-2010 by Cavey]
dannymccann

15th Feb 10 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the problem, only had the contract since June last year so still in min. term, so was hoping to transfer for very little monies. If they wont do it Ill just cancel and pay off the contract and as you say go through missus name on the new place, its coming out the joint regardless so will make no odds.

80gb cap doesnt bother me, we can only get 2.5mbps anyway, plus I dont do shady downloads, we only use it to browse and XBLive
Andrew

15th Feb 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'm going to go with 02.

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/telesales/homephone/broadband.jsp

Read that their activation will also be free. Requested more information from them - let's see what they come back with.
A2H GO

15th Feb 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went with Post office activation as its cheaper than BT and you're not tied into a contract with them, then went with o2 broadband at £7.50pm(1st 3 months free and £50 cashback).
lisac

15th Feb 10 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am with o2 for my broadband and have been with them for over a year. Its was so easy to set up they send you the box, put the cd and up and running in 15 mins. No limit to download either, got two laptops running wirelessly on it and no problems whatsoever. plus added bonus of only costing 7.34 a month as have an o2 phone.
dannymccann

15th Feb 10 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My contract with Sky is up on 4th May so Im just going to pay that off £40 a month then exit, dont use the Tv anyway we only watch freeview. Will go with whoever will provide the cheapest average monthly cost for a year / 18 months with these items:

Line Activation
Other costs associated with activation of services
Service cost
Equipment cost

Might go with o2 due to having their network in house
Carl

15th Feb 10 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get this, thought I had to pay 125 quid to set up with BT to then be able to use my o2 broadband? My situation is i'm with o2 broadband in a contract but moving to a house where the phone line has disconnected, I won't use the phone but was going to stump up the 125 quid to get the phone line re-connected to get use the o2, is this avoidable or am I totally getting the wrong end of a shitty bt stick?
dannymccann

16th Feb 10 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a shitty BT Stick unfortunately, Ive been stung 3 times now in 2 years due to house moves, thankfully Ive had it done on special for £30 everytime

edit - unless you have access to Fibre Optic (little brown box outside the property) and can get out of your current contract OR live without the internet then you have no choice

[Edited on 16-02-2010 by dannymccann]
Carl

16th Feb 10 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought so, its shocking, almost a monopoly. How did you get it for 30 then through sky? sign up to a package? Not sure I can with already being with 02 broadband, got 11 months left with them.
Ian W

16th Feb 10 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As soon as I paid for Sky in my flat (only wanted it for broadband) they fitted BT Openzone.

Once my contract is up in the summer i'll be cancelling sky, phone and internet I think and using the openzone network
Cavey

16th Feb 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carl,

I think you can still go with Sky Talk without taking broadband, they can install the line for £39 without using BT, they send round an Open Reach engineer I believe. Then it's £11 a month line rental from Sky, doesn't involve BT at all.
Carl

16th Feb 10 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Result,I'll look into it.
dannymccann

16th Feb 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think ive found the cheapest if you dont want TV

TalkTalk - new line is £69, line rental + broadband is £18 a month (up to 8meg, 40gb limit) but 18 month contract (but if youve bought like me that shouldnt matter anymore ), free installation at the moment (normally £30), works out at £393 for the 18 months, my findings tonight:

Line activation + installation + per month cost and all these are 12 month contracts

o2 £479
Sky (talk/bb/tv basic) £520
BT £444
Virgin (not cable) £444

So we are going Talk Talk
Cavey

16th Feb 10 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a fan of talk talk, there's whole websites dedicated to them being awful
dannymccann

16th Feb 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ti be honest it doesnt matter who i go with I will get the same shitty speed, as long as it works 24/7 and doesnt cost the earth im not bothered
Andrew

17th Feb 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Danny, i've just given them a call as well but they cannot find my postcode. Anyone know a way around this? TalkTalk didn't know what to do

Mine is £59 for new line and 24 month contract. Unlimited downloads, free calls to all numbers apart from mobiles charged at 7p per minute - all for for £26 a month.

I'm happy with that
dannymccann

17th Feb 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not registered with the Royal Mail yet? Try finding your place with the address finder tool on the website, if you cant find it it needs t be set up by the builder or maybe you can get the RM to do it by yourself.

If you are registered with RM shouldnt be a problem, definetly got the right postcode? Found mine fine....
Andrew

17th Feb 10 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People are moving in this week so i'll let them register the postcode

I'm fucked without the internet so first thing to sort out.
BlueCorsa

17th Feb 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I moved in, I emailed postcodeadmin@royalmail.com to get them to add the postcode to the PAF.

Took ages though before it appeared listed and companies had updated their records - about 18 months on average...!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll