corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Fonz's fiddles

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fonz's fiddles
Fonz
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Jan 08 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought it was about time I stated a project thread but as will be come clear as you read on, it maybe more of a “this is how I did it” thread!

Where I started

Way back in March I passed my driving test (11minors, 34/35 on theory) and had the use of the family Nova. This I drove for 2years or so before buying a Corsa 1.0 12V Ltd Edt Sting from a mate around June 05.

The crash
That September I successfully planted her into the bushes inverted after coming off the road in wet conditions.

The result!

The replacement
To get back on the road and in need of something cheap I went for a replacement Sting which helped kept the insurance down.

My first steps
This was then quickly attacked. Knowing I would be keeping her for some time given the low insurance cost with a claim I starting playing.

First was the fuel cap sticker, Union jack Griffen Badge and the belt harnesses. Along with foot mats and covers.

Nice cheap mods via eBay, Argos and Halfords! This was quickly followed with some Sony 6x9 on the parcel shelf. Then came the NEONs originally fitted for some light in the boot as I could never see what was there!
These were bought off eBay from Mattsneons. A very simple kit and worked exceptionally well. The power was supplied via the licence plate light power source as it was easy to find and use (but did mean I could only have an illuminated boot when the side lights were on!). However the bulbs soon got smashed given a boot load of kit one journey!
With that success came the NEONS in the car itself, starting with the front foot wells. Using the power from the cigarette lighter as the source it was again very simple, using the blanking panel used instead of the cigarette lighter as a backing face.

With this came the want to expand more, and with another purchase I installed a bulb under each front seat and wired these into the same switch. By Christmas 06 the car was well illuminated!

The dials and back lights

Again another eBay I was surprised just how easy it was to get to the clocks and fit the clocks and LEDs!

At the same time I also fitted some Irmy door pins

Speakers

following Christmas I upgraded the front speakers as the front left was dead so kept with the Sony Xplode system

Leather gaiter

This has to be my proudest modification as it’s the one I did completely myself. The hardest part was trying to find someone who sold blue leather! Finally found a place in the back streets of Brighton and the photos explain the rest

Illuminating sills

Found these on eBay for £20 and love them!! I could have had them personalised but decided to stick with Corsa

Body kit fitted
In June 06 she had her Irmscher Bodykit fitted by Frosts Vauxhall in Shoreham. They were not on the ball to say the least. I went there for the quote which I think was fair – it was based on the part numbers I gave. But when the items arrived at the bodyshop they were surprised to find fog lights and electrical cabling. They insisted that this was not part of the deal, and I argued the case that the quite was based on accurate part numbers I supplied – not my problem if they cant make accurate quotes. We found an agreement and the work was done. To be fair they did a great job in the end but I can’t see how it took four days.

photos

this was soon followed by a debadged grill

induction kit
over the summer I fitted a K&N 57i Induction kit complete with cold feed source, see Link for my tutorial.

Back box
That summer I also bought a Irmy back box. The rear of the car just didn’t look right with that pencil sized exhaust sticking out of the fancy rear skirted bumper! So that was also changed.

Wheels
In late June/July I was searching for wheels, I was determined to be original and unique with my wheel choice. At the same time I wanted to stay Vauxhall to comply with insurance. I decided I wanted Irmscher Gamma wheel at 15inch. However the only supplier I could find was Vauxhall at a price £520 odd, a price no student can afford!! Looking everywhere I found a new set as part of a stock clearance from a Vauxhall showroom. Martin Rumble through the name, RumbleOnline was selling with a “make me an offer” auction the wheels. Made the offers and a price of £270 was accepted with my collection. Fortunately they were only 45mins from me! When it came to finding the product however I was less than impressed that they had made a mistake with a part number and it was Corsa C SXi wheels. I refused these as I wanted want I was entitled to and told them so. They then agreed to find these for me and came back a week later with the wheels at trade price £400…no way! Was my reply. So the search began again. Looking on Google it sent me a link to eBay, confused as I was constantly searching eBay for such an item I clicked it. Turned out that the auction had finished in August but Google managed to find it. The wheels had gained a lot of interest but had not reached the “reserve” price set. I contacted the seller and fortunately they had not been sold. I inquired about the price and said he would take £200. DEAL!

So in Nov I went on another road trip and collected them!

The next stage was to find tyres and after CS discussions it was clear that for 195/45/15 there was two contenders. Goodyear Eagle F1 or UniRoyal Rainsports. As a student and due to the reviews I found I went with the cheaper (and better wet weather grip) tyre the UniRoyal – bloody brilliant tyres!!

Sport seats
In October I travelled to Manchester area (from Coventry) after winning a pair of Astra Sport seats on eBay. I never intended to change the seats but my “mother-in-law” at the time drove a Astra Sport with the most comfortable and supportive seats! I was instantly looking for some.
It was not until Christmas, when I was back home from university that I had the time and space to fit them.

Following Ash’s tutorial it really was as simple as it sounds. There are only four bolts securing the car and once loose the seats were quickly swapped – please note however that the access to these bolts is tricky, and was about on hour to remove and replace given the awkward angles required with the spanner!

between Christmas 06 and June 07 I was in the final stages of final year at uni so the car took a back seat (no pun intended) and uni work was priority.

however i was able to fit a new short aerial as it was a Christmas gift!

Interior
At PVS I picked up some painted interior plastics from Willay (door handle/centre console/instrument hood) and I competed the set with the MFD hood and the upper part of the door handle (Willay’s were for automatic window cars).
At the same time I fitted the tweeters, again Sony

Shocks & springs full kit fitted
On the return from university I knew I was getting new springs and shocks. She sat like a monster truck, so after chatting with my mate I went for an AVO kit from Demontweeks for £230 drop of 35mm.

I know people all over the land see no point in modding a 12v car, but I can tell you that the best purchase I made was that kit. We all know that a Corsa is not the best thing on two wheels and all know the handling can be beaten by a long list but the springs and shocks turned the car into a new car!! The acceleration was the immediate difference. The boat like suspension bouncing the nose on each gear change like a boat bobbing through the waves was eradicated, the nose stayed almost flat and although I have no figures I know the acceleration was increased and 0-60 time decreased. The speeds I can hold in the corners shows up other cars and roundabouts are a dream -particulary when deserted when going straight over, with a little bravery a good line can be held with little loss in speed. I admit the tyres do a lot for holding on, and not only do I have the full suspension kit, but respectable tyres with 30mm per corner wider tyre with a reduced tyre wall all helps but it was not until those springs and shocks were fitted have I have the confidence to use the tyres as best they can be. If you can make only one modification to a Corsa, do something to the handling it changes it completely!!

Cat back straight through exhaust
The next mod after the MOT (early Sept) was a straight through exhaust after an advisor that the centre section was blowing. Thanks to Matt for posting a classified I had it fitted within the week and she sounds lovely!! It was annoying to fit, and I would advise that bore sizes are checked as it caused me some trouble!

Painting brakes
Getting bored of not doing something to the car I decided to get out the paint brushes and make an effort on the rear brakes. Back in Jan 06 I had these replaced as the bearings “collapse” or so Vauxhall told me! Anyway I was disappointed how they had gone rusty so attacked them

please note I took notes from the tutorial found in FAQs painting drums

my tutorial!

As you can see from the link when I was doing this I lost the light on Sun evenin so took some day liht shots today and shows the paint with a better finish now it hardned over night

Door cards
Never liking my door cards as they ruined the black/blue theme I swapped these over Christmas 07, an easy and quick modification and make a real difference!

This is where I am to date and leave below the table I have produced containing all the parts, prices and sources concerning every part I have added to the car!

Apologies for the photos, and poor quality shots in most cases, the best shots I have are found here. I hope this as been an interesting read.

My plans for 08 are to complete the interior, paint the front brakes and find a set of skirts. However, as desperate as I am to fit some skirts, my initial plans were to source these in the next couple of weeks, I am holding off at this point. I’ve been told I maybe getting a family donation in the shape of £1500 and it’s been suggested this goes towards a new car.

Taking a view on this I would estimate the cars worth is £2000, certainly is when split down, which puts me £3500…if I can find a little more from my savings I may very well have a new car at PVS! Although not sure I’m ready to sell at this time. I love the car in everyway. Looks, economy (average 46mpg over my ownership), cost of ownership (low tax and insurance, fuel, tyres) sound and the joy that I can ragged the hell and not get in a great deal of trouble in terms of speed. I would however enjoy some real performance as my worth while driving experience only goes as far as 1.0 engines or Transit vans/pickups!!

[Edited on 20-02-2008 by Fonz]
Charlton

8th Jan 08 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stunning bumpers are pure sex
CorsAsh

8th Jan 08 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice project thread, glad the tutorial helped. Think you'll do better planning for 2008 though now mate...
Fonz
Premium Member

8th Jan 08 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damn you Ash pointing out my errors!! edited!!
!_roderzz_!

8th Jan 08 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow what a thread, very very detailed il give it that, nice car
Markus
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

8th Jan 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice thread and nice car mate
SAL
Premium Member

8th Jan 08 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your car is sweet mate ! you should save up and transfer everything onto a 1.6 sport Or do a conversion ?

set of irmscher skirts will finish the outside off a treat, reminds me of mine
andyc1234

8th Jan 08 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good. nice job with the first corsa
pow
Premium Member

8th Jan 08 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck me Fonz... didn't realise you were in an accident like that
Dan295

8th Jan 08 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1st car - smashed it
Fonz
Premium Member

9th Jan 08 at 07:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

crash: hard to believe that all 5 occupants walked out with nothing worse than bruises and stiff necks! we were really lucky....
Whittie

9th Jan 08 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An actual project you can read about

Lurrrrrvly car mate Shame about your first one But at least your new one is 100X better!

Whats next on the cards for the car? (Apart from skirts?) Rear lights?

[Edited on 09-01-2008 by Whittie]
Fonz
Premium Member

9th Jan 08 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
An actual project you can read about

Whats next on the cards for the car?

read the last two paragraphs

thanks for your comments!!

editing is sneaky Mr Whittie!!
like i say, holding off spending anything more at this time.....

[Edited on 09-01-2008 by Fonz]
Rich7585

9th Jan 08 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmmm shame about P181 XFB, still i guess everyone's first car can't live on forever!

a credit for the photography and hard work spent underneath your motor would have been nice thou!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flippin Welshies!
Bibby

9th Jan 08 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gotta say mate i like your car but 1 disapointment is the pertol cap cover dont like that, otherwise ya cars mint mate
Fonz
Premium Member

9th Jan 08 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich7585
Hmmmm shame about P181 XFB, still i guess everyone's first car can't live on forever!

a credit for the photography and hard work spent underneath your motor would have been nice thou!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flippin Welshies!

why hello there!! thanks for letting me know you decided to register!!

ok - Well firstly welcome and secondly can everyone please note that Rich7585 is my very best mate and helped with much of the work! exhaust fitting, suspension fitting, sill wiring, seat fitting, gear knob & pedal fitting, cold feed for K&N locating! .....doesnt leave much actually does it? well anyway we make a good team

please note that photos in this thread are all my own - in fact all photos in my garage of the car are my own!!
Rich7585

9th Jan 08 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guilty as charged!!!!! still somebody has to eh mate!?!

as for the photo's some of those wet camp ones look very familiar and i distinctly remember taking pics of your air box when we we're doing that!!!!!

as for your garage i havent looked at that for a while so no arguement there..........yet.
Rich7585

9th Jan 08 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
please note that photos in this thread are all my own - in fact all photos in my garage of the car are my own!!

Gotcha now boyo!

Who took the photos when we lowered the car???? whose camera was that???? who posted them on fb so you could steal them???

you sir are a...................friar!
deex

9th Jan 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome thread and nice end result! i thought it was going tits up when i saw the neons but some nice choice mods
deano87

20th Jan 08 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read it finally Fonz. That was some crash and a half. Lily is more interested as to the fireman that might of attended the crash though

Can't believe the bargain you got on the alloys

I wish I could modify my car
James_H

25th Jan 08 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey! a sting like mine!

looks just like mine but with diffrent wheels, looking good! hopefully see you at PVS this year!! anyway mate keep it up!!
Fonz
Premium Member

27th Jan 08 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do you mean? i think you'll find that yours looks like mine!!
flybikeslee

27th Jan 08 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good write up, id love to have a spreadsheet bout all the £££ ive spent but im too affraid
Fonz
Premium Member

7th Feb 08 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ha! yeh it was an eye opener when i summed it all up! still i think most would agree all worth it in the end!
little_duke

7th Feb 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some good mods there apart from the light up sills what was you thinking ?

looks good though

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Fonz's fiddles 23 database queries in 0.1963491 seconds