corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HD or Blu ray? what will you chose???

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HD or Blu ray? what will you chose???
LeeM

User status: Offline
11th Jan 07 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
£450 i think

there isnt much difference when you add the hd drive to the xbox, however, at least people have the option of adding it rather than being forced to.

exactly, and theres the fact that peopel have already paid for the 360, 100 quid is easier to find at a later date than hawever much the ps3 costs all up front
mk4_astra

11th Jan 07 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it seems sony have got some great films under the blu ray title to be released but the hd-dvd lineup doesnt look to shabby either. as for film studios and electronic companys blu ray has a very strong backing.

but the customers and critics seem to be leaning to hd dvd in terms of image quality and what they will choose. the sony ps3 is by far the cheapest blu ray player out there, the rest start at about 1k. also when i worked at a massive cd and dvd distribution centre(biggest in europe) and the demand for hd dvd from hmv, virgin, tesco etc was 1000x bigger than the blu ray demand.

the ps3 will help in the sales of blu ray theres only been 200 000 shipped so far worldwide, with quite a few sitting in stores in japan and america due to high price and competition from the 360 and wii.

right now my monies on hd dvd, for as little as 110 gbp i could have one and king kong in 1080p to watch it on, that lg multiplayer is probably the way forward, but i wont be suprised it you didnt get much change from 2k for one
Rob_Quads

11th Jan 07 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are both going be around in 5 years is my prediction.

My reasons are there are too many big players behind them to just give up - look at Sonys MD its still around even though its virtually pointless.

Its thought that HD-DVD would win due to lower production costs etc but due to a company the size of sony and with an item like the PS3 helping it both formats are going to suceed. Considering that over 1 million PS3s have now been sold that 1 million blu-ray players out there. Not sure on the HD-DVD players but I bet its not far off.

mk4_astra -> While HD-DVD might have been popular then how many Blu-Ray players were out at the time. Pretty sure there would have been 0 under £1000.

Also another reason they will both be about is due to Dual Format Discs and Dual Format players. Yes the current dual format player might be 2K but a DVD+ & - R writer costs 4/500 when they first came out then quickly dropped once it became mainstram
topshot_2k
Banned

11th Jan 07 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

blu ray is very delicate and easily damaged due to thin coating.

also HD is selling faster to to lower cost players.

With microsoft having shifted 6m units thats potentially 6m HD DVD players out there already if people buy the HD drive for the low cost of £100
Rob_Quads

11th Jan 07 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the big "IF" Sony have been very clever - forcing people to but the console means that IMO by the end of 2007 there will be 5m? PS3s out there so thats 5M Blu-ray players.

Blu-Ray production costs will also start to decrease as mass-production ramps up - 2 more companies are now producing the lasers which will help
Even if there are 20M 360s sold IMO only a fraction of them will get the HD-DVD addition maybe 2-3M

[Edited on 11-01-2007 by Rob_Quads]
topshot_2k
Banned

11th Jan 07 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the HD DVD for the 360 is selling like crazy. even in USA they have huge demand for them. i couldnt get one anywhere until the new batch come in
Joe

11th Jan 07 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be getting the HD-DVD add on for my 360, for £100 can't go wrong.
mk4_astra

11th Jan 07 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
They are both going be around in 5 years is my prediction.

My reasons are there are too many big players behind them to just give up - look at Sonys MD its still around even though its virtually pointless.

Its thought that HD-DVD would win due to lower production costs etc but due to a company the size of sony and with an item like the PS3 helping it both formats are going to suceed. Considering that over 1 million PS3s have now been sold that 1 million blu-ray players out there. Not sure on the HD-DVD players but I bet its not far off.

mk4_astra -> While HD-DVD might have been popular then how many Blu-Ray players were out at the time. Pretty sure there would have been 0 under £1000.

Also another reason they will both be about is due to Dual Format Discs and Dual Format players. Yes the current dual format player might be 2K but a DVD+ & - R writer costs 4/500 when they first came out then quickly dropped once it became mainstram

sony have shipped 1 million ps3's, but as the demand isnt that great for them only about 200,000 have been bought the rest are sitting in stores. tbh i dont know how long hd dvd has been about. its only since blu ray that ive heard about hd dvd and when i worked at the distribution centre i only saw them just after we had blu ray in( im on about 1080p hd-dvd, not the upscaled stuff)

yeah your probably right about the prices dropping sharply, but if a normal blu ray player works out at the same as a ps3 then i would rather take the ps3
_Allan_

11th Jan 07 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be getting a burner for a bit yet

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/components-bluray-writers-c-3_42.html

lol

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll