corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » hd dvd has the edge over blu ray

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author hd dvd has the edge over blu ray
mk4_astra

User status: Offline
14th Nov 06 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work at massive distribution centre and our clients include, sony, warner bros, mgm etc and we've had some blu ray stock in for the past 3 weeks and so far around 700 units( dvds) has been shifted from us to places like hmv, asda, virgin etc.
now yesterday we had our first delivery of hd dvd, around 20 pallets of it and within 8 hours 90% of it is all gone which was just under 50.000 units. and theres more to come every day this week.
3 different blu ray titles and 3 different hd dvd titles, sony bosses better start praying
PaulW

14th Nov 06 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one main reason is the price...

like what... blu ray players are about a grand, and hddvd are about half??
John

14th Nov 06 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about the fact a blu ray player costs 800 quid and is just out.

I wouldn't be making any judgments on it until ps3's are out here and blu ray players have had a chance to actually get in peoples houses.

Re-reading that you work in a distribution place, what has you managing to get all of they dvd's moved from your warehouse to wherever got to do with how many are sold
ssj_kakarot

14th Nov 06 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

I wouldn't be making any judgments on it until ps3's are out here and blu ray players have had a chance to actually get in peoples houses.

Re-reading that you work in a distribution place, what has you managing to get all of they dvd's moved from your warehouse to wherever got to do with how many are sold

Becasue stores arent idiots they will have undertaken a lot of market research to see exactly what the demmand is of hd-dvd players so they will only order as much as they belive they can shift, stores generally under order as opposed to over order as stock sitting on a shelf is essentially easting money for a shop.

ergo if they have ordered thousands of dvd players they expect to sell that ammount.
PaulW

14th Nov 06 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

blu ray and hd-dvd players were released near enough at the same time tho...
John

14th Nov 06 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would expect all the hd-dvd's to be selling quite fast though, people have had the players for months and nothing to play on them.

Blu-ray is just out and costs a fortune, that does not mean that it will lose out overall.

I keep reiterating, not me or anybody else knows who will win this format war.

I however know this and realise that it will take a couple of years at least to see how it plays out.

There seem to be a lot of anti blu ray posts on here with people using totally irrelevant reasons for saying hd-dvd has won outright.

I doubt sony will care that one warehouse has managed to ship out more hd-dvd than blu-ray tbh.

As I said, when the ps3 comes out and the standalone players drop to the same price as hd-dvd people may be better equipped to comment.
John

14th Nov 06 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't see a blu ray player until just last month, hd dvd was available before that was it not.

I can't remember exact dates atm.

Even if they did come out at the same time the rest of my points stand.
bradgsi

14th Nov 06 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will be buying the xbox 360 hd dvd adapter when that gets released near christmas only £130.

John

14th Nov 06 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And that + an xbox at launch is about the same as what a ps3 costs?
Steve
Premium Member

14th Nov 06 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, i predict hd will trounce on blu ray
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weve had a HD DVD player for ages now, probably over 18months I think. Blu Ray wasnt out over here then, ive only seen one or two in the last month really.

The PS3 is what Sony will be hoping to boost sales. If they get the younger crowd into Blu Ray then thats what will come out on top.
John

14th Nov 06 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats right cosmo, I did think that hd-dvd had been about for a while (I doubt 18 months though, maybe 6) but blu ray has really only been available for a few weeks max.
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thats right cosmo, I did think that hd-dvd had been about for a while (I doubt 18 months though, maybe 6) but blu ray has really only been available for a few weeks max.

100% more than 6 months...we got our whole system a while back with the HD DVD player and we've had that ATLEAST 12 months, but def coming upto 18.
John

14th Nov 06 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They didn't come out in america till march-ish this year so you 100% didn't.
abdus

14th Nov 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait for Blu Ray to really get going

all marketing...most people have HD DVD, so they need to sell these first

Then when Blu Ray becomes popular, people will start buying Blu Ray.

Look in the US, Blu Ray players are cheap and very popular
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They didn't come out in america till march-ish this year so you 100% didn't.

I'll get the receipt for you and scan it in. We had it well before xmas last year, I think its a Denon of some sorts.
John

14th Nov 06 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will be willingly proved wrong as I'm not spending enough time on google atm to find exact launch dates.

Are you sure its not an upscaling dvd player.
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I will be willingly proved wrong as I'm not spending enough time on google atm to find exact launch dates.

Are you sure its not an upscaling dvd player.

no, its 100% a HD player (connected with HDMI cable and optics for sound). Its actually been broken once and taken back to be fixed as wouldnt play any DVD past around 63mins!

Im back home towards the end of the week so will scan find the model number then and scan the reciept in for you to see!
abdus

14th Nov 06 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

On March 31, 2006, Toshiba released their first HD DVD player in Japan at ¥110,000 ($934).[3] HD DVD was released in United States on April 18, 2006[4], with players priced at $499 and $799.

The current specification version for HD DVD-ROM and HD DVD-Rewritable is version 1.0. The specification for HD DVD-R is currently at 0.9. The first HD DVD-ROM drives were expected to be unveiled by Q4 2006, with mass production to start in Q1 2007. The actual product launch of both CE and PC units occurred in late 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

abdus

14th Nov 06 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe it is HD compatible Cosmo.
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know for sure it was before Xmas last year that we got it, as it was over Xmas that it broke (whilst watching Jimmy Carr that I had just got which is why I remember!)

John

14th Nov 06 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So your link backs up what I was saying then cosmo.

It will be an upscaling dvd player you have.
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So your link backs up what I was saying then cosmo.

It will be an upscaling dvd player you have.

I didnt post a link?!

Its 100% a HD DVD Player. Its pointless arguing, but I will get the receipt when Im home later in the week and post it up. Almost certain its Denon though, cost about £900 and def had it before last Xmas.
John

14th Nov 06 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

abdus posted the link sorry, but as i found and abdus' link backs up they weren't released till april this year overseas, so would have been after that here.
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
abdus posted the link sorry, but as i found and abdus' link backs up they weren't released till april this year overseas, so would have been after that here.

Yeah, I read that link and not sure why its says what it does, it probably is true.

But I know for certain what we bought was 100% a HD DVD Player and we def had it last xmas!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll