corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » hd dvd has the edge over blu ray

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author hd dvd has the edge over blu ray
ssj_kakarot

User status: Offline
14th Nov 06 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And if your holding all hopes on blu-ray taking off because its built into ps3, what about all the people who have already got a 360 or will be getting a 360 over xmas as they are sick of waiting for the ps3 to be released, they will just get the hd-dvd attachment, as they already have the 360.
John

14th Nov 06 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mean to be. I admit though I am a sony fan.

If hd-dvd was being slated for no reason i'd back that up too.

Blu-ray seems to be getting slated for totally invalid (imo) reasons and seem to be missing massive factors like the fact every ps3 will be sold at launch and saying blu-ray will always cost more to manufacture which, tbh, is just totally incorrect.
John

14th Nov 06 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not building my hopes on anything.

I have neither a ps3 or a 360.

Unless I was only able to invest in one or the other I don't really care who wins.

I take it you noticed MS left the doors open to be able to easily add blu-ray if need be?
LeeM

14th Nov 06 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone uses the size argument, at the minute hd-dvd is winning, because no one can realistically even dual layer blurays, yeah they made a quad layer bluray blah blah but it cost a shiload to prodce and took ages
smack

14th Nov 06 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wish i had a gd job so i could aford all these gadgets like hd tvs wat not.
i still got a video recouder and shitty tv.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Nov 06 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mk4_astra

14th Nov 06 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oops bit of an arguement i caused here

john im not anti-ps3, though i was pissed off we have to wait til march for then damn thing and thought sod you sony and bought a 360.

and your 100% right that no one knows which will come out on top until the ps3 has been over here a few months but the question is will the ps3 be popular enough? i know the hardcore sony fans will buy one but they are pricey(as you say same as a 360+hd dvd player) and today angry jap buyers found out that 200 ps2 games wont play on the ps3 that were meant to, some of them big titles.

also sony so far seem to have wasted the advantage of having that extra space on the disk by only having 2 or 3 special features such as: intro to blu ray and 'subtitles'. the hd dvd disks i looked at had around 8 special features and all of them were pretty interesting.

i know im in no better position than anyone else on here to say which will come on top but i can say hmv, asda, virgin, tesco etc are ordering hd dvd movies in there 1000's, and blu ray movies in there 10's. if this trend continues til march then sony will be miles behind on sales
Demo

15th Nov 06 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many people that will buy a ps3 actually want a blu ray player? or will actually have a hdtv to play the things on?

with the 360 at least youve got the option of whether or not you wanty to buy into the technology

plus for £130 for the drive+remote+king kong hd-dvd. the price is a good bargain imo
Steve
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still say hddvd purely because sony cannot make formats that stick, they try and be too clever and it always works out too expensive
Rob_Quads

15th Nov 06 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does amaze me how many people are saying "Oh HD-DVD is kicking Blurays arese" etc etc. The fact is that Blu-ray has not really started selling at all yet.

At the moment all you can make is a educated guess as to who will win but there is no way it can be made going on the current sales etc etc as over 2 years there are going to be so many things that affect the sales.

You might not be selling many Bluray titles but there are quite a few being sold. I think that its more alone the lines of 65:35 or maybe 60:40 of HD-DVD:Bluray which IMO is amazingly going considering the lack of availability of players.

Once the PS3 comes out thats instantly 500,000 players world wide and I would put money on there being 3 million within 2 years.

Yes XBox are releasing thiers but its an add-on that only movie boffs are going to pay for where as the gamer who bought the PS3 will have it there already (yes he will have paid for it too but the fact is it will be there)

People need to remember that this is not just Sony behind the Bluray disks - there are other major players pushing it as well i.e.

Board of Directors
Apple
Dell
HP
Hitachi
LG
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic
Pioneer
Philips
Samsung
Sharp
Sony
Sun Microsystems
TDK
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney
Warner Bros.

Those are not small players.
John

15th Nov 06 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good points rob quads but your ps3 figures are slightly off.

There should be a couple of million ps3's in homes by christmas.

And in 3 years they'll be hoping for 10's of millions.
topshot_2k
Banned

15th Nov 06 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads

Yes XBox are releasing thiers but its an add-on that only movie boffs are going to pay for where as the gamer who bought the PS3 will have it there already (yes he will have paid for it too but the fact is it will be there)

People need to remember that this is not just Sony behind the Bluray disks - there are other major players pushing it as well i.e.

Firstly surely its better that people have the choice of buying one before 'forcing them' into owning one if they buy a PS3.

quote:
Board of Directors
Apple
Dell
HP
Hitachi
LG
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic
Pioneer
Philips
Samsung
Sharp
Sony
Sun Microsystems
TDK
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney
Warner Bros.

Those are not small players.

HD also has major players, but the likes of walt disney, WB etc have stated they will open catalogues/new films to both formats.
Rob_Quads

15th Nov 06 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
Firstly surely its better that people have the choice of buying one before 'forcing them' into owning one if they buy a PS3.

Yes but thats a completly different debate - IMO its a very clever move by sony. They will make more money in the long run by loosing a few sales for it being more expensive and then blu-ray etc becoming established than relying on pure movie followers etc to push the format.
1.2-Ls-Corsa

10th May 08 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hehe I love looking through old posts and seeing what actually happened in the end. WELL its even better in this instance cos HD DVD no longer exists and BLU-RAY has officially kicked its arse into a very early grave. hehe
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th May 08 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL
John

10th May 08 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lolz at this thread.

If steve was still here i'd send him a link to gettaefuck.com

at this also being the thread cosmo said he had an hd-dvd player, i'm still waiting for the receipt btw.

[Edited on 10-05-2008 by John]
mwg

6th Oct 11 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yes, i predict hd will trounce on blu ray

me too m8
John

6th Oct 11 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still waiting for Cosmo's receipt.
Hammer

6th Oct 11 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nath

6th Oct 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck
Premium Member

6th Oct 11 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knew this would appear as soon as I read the Xbox thread Chatting breeze once again.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Oct 11 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where is cosmo
Nath

6th Oct 11 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Married.
mwg

6th Oct 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo was Steve Jobs. RIP.
Hammer

6th Oct 11 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would like Nath and Jonny to reveal how much of a cunt Cosmo is in real life...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll