corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Cavity wall insulation...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cavity wall insulation...
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Dec 06 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a letter the other day, from the council, saying that they are offering cavity wall insulation half price, as they have money to waste

Are there any drawbacks from having it? House is 1970's, so it has a damp proof course, if that makes any difference?
C2RL R

17th Dec 06 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant be any draw backs when it makes your house retain heat better. do it.
Cosmo

17th Dec 06 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see how much it will be. See if it will add value. See how much it will save on heating bills.

Then make a decision.
Robin
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not bothered about how much it will add, we won't be moving for a while. will have to look into how much it would be, and how much it will save.

Carl, I thought there were issues with moisture transfer between the 2 walls?
mwg

17th Dec 06 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The insulation wont fill the cavity fully. Say if your cavity is 100mm (most likely) then the insulation will be 50mm thick, so you will still have a 50mm cavity.

How are they planning on doing this anyway?
Robin
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

foam injection I think.
mwg

17th Dec 06 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah forget what I said then. I was talking about traditional insulation that comes on boards.
not sure how they would get around bridging the cavity with foam injection.
Robin
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, I guess that's how they'd do it, can't see another way without ripping the house apart bit by bit lol
Colin

17th Dec 06 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pro's - You will feel your house warmer & you heating bills will come down.

Con's- They drill holes in the side of your house & pump it in....can look quite messy if your house has a nice finish.

Anthony

17th Dec 06 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have to work with insulation most days of the week, proper itchy crap, especially when ur insulting a ceiling.

but i think the stuff ur talking about is different to what i use.

Robin
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, not the fiberglass stuff. I'll find the letter, see what it said.
mav

17th Dec 06 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't be any draw backs except if they leave holes all over the walls
JadeM
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread has just caused a domestic in my house

My dad is a building site manager, I asked him what are the benefits of cavity wall insulation. He says its pash, that the cavity is put there for a reason - to stop dampness and shouldn't be filled in

So......................... my mum chips in, why then have millions of homes had cavity wall insulation done without any major problems with dampness

Dads still thinking of an answer atm..............................
Mark Petty

17th Dec 06 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The advantages are that it keeps heat in so lowers gas bills
The disadvantages is that there is a reason why there is a gap to let moisture and prevent dampness to let the air circulate, so thats why you have the cavity wall. If someone fills the cavity with foam this will stop that which may increase any dampness.

I've heard good things about it though, I would research it abit more though
JadeM
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Petty
The disadvantages is that there is a reason why there is a gap to let moisture and prevent dampness to let the air circulate, so thats why you have the cavity wall. If someone fills the cavity with foam this will stop that which may increase any dampness.

You posted that at the same time as me.................dad will be pleased, you seem to agree with what he's saying
Robin
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's what my Mum and I thought too
Mark Petty

17th Dec 06 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JadeM
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Petty

You posted that at the same time as me.................dad will be pleased, you seem to agree with what he's saying

quality I thought I was talking crap
jr

17th Dec 06 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speak to venom or jizino silva or whatever he's called today, he does this for a living iirc
JadeM
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMFAO the domestic is on going..................my mum is waiting on an answer from dad, as to why cavity wall insulation is so popular, if dad's theory is right and it will cause dampness
Colin

17th Dec 06 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Newer houses are built with much better thermal capabilities, & layers of insulation & dont really need it, older houses dont have this, or tie rods between the blocks to dispence moisture etc so benifit from a cavity fill.

I think my lecturor from my building control days said it was shite too & the stuff they used to use broke down after a while & didnt work.

My parents had it done a few years ago & said its made a huge difference & they dont have to use the heating as much or as early into the winter as they had to before it.....drawback was the house looks like it had some infection with the holes they drilled filled & not painted
JadeM
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe that explains why our house (without cavity wall insulation) is like an ice box, despite the heating being on at full day and night

PS. I'll go tell dad 'Colin says'.....................

[Edited on 17-12-2006 by JadeM]
Jules S
Premium Member

17th Dec 06 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus, want my comment?

Might cause a divorce in Jades house mind you
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Dec 06 at 00:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leaves nice patches on the outside walls of your house, randomly placed every few mtr.

Its just like an expanding foam they squirt through into the cavity.

Will keep the house warmer, but you'l need the exterior painted or will have patches over your walls, the 50% cost of having it installed.

Depends how much per year your going to save as to if it would be worth the job.

We got the same letter the other day and decided, against it.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
CorsaLad

27th Dec 06 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To try and sum up...

Most new build come with what is known as partial cavity fill, which means that there will be a void left in the cavity to prevent the ingress of moisture.

If you completely fill this cavity with expandable foam or whatever they will use it will be easy for the cavity to be breached with moisture. Maybe ask for some personal recommendations of the company carrying out the work and maybe ask if you can see examples of their work.

Hope this helps!
Ste
Premium Member

28th Dec 06 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as to what they use, its usually polystyrene beads like you get in bean bags, tehy drill holes around your house and blow trhe stuff in. you end up with it looking like a winter wonderland for a few weeks as tehy get everywhere

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.

New Poll