corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » New build or Old.............

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New build or Old.............
JadeM
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Nov 06 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik

Just found a pic of it on the net

[Edited on 15-11-2006 by nik]

Wow !!! That looks fantastic Not your average small country cottage

How long has your dad lived there? Was it renovated when he got it or has has he done any of it himself ?
nik

15th Nov 06 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lived there about 17 years now, new kitchen, bathrooms etc, outside was repointed, windows repainted (been done a few times), think some of the floors were sorted out, lots really! Needs a new bathroom again now Also has an extension out the back that was done in the 1940s and a decent garden. Has a 40ft well in the garden too We have found old jewls, even an old army coller from the 1800s that was stuffed down the chimney along with an old flute !
JadeM
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no comparison with a house like that, to a modern new build no matter how big or luxurious in some over crowded estate imo
Liam

15th Nov 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer new build, similar to the reason Matt said, and I live in a new house
mav

16th Nov 06 at 04:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I prefer new aswell...
Ally

17th Nov 06 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer new, having lived in both

When we sell this place we will look into buying a new build (or more accuratly, plot ) in Cardiff
Jules

17th Nov 06 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My house is a turn of the century (circa 1900) 3 story cottage, it used to be owned by the pub which is two doors away (as is next door - who are attached to the pub).
The area I live in is near a council estate - without being part of it - and was originally a village on the outskirts of town and was part of a Saxon colony - the village was also mentioned in the doomsady book
Colin

22nd Nov 06 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think id like a new build but not brand new maybe something about 15-30yrs old.

Old house's are great but ones with character are very expensive, & Id shit myself doing a renovation as all these ones you see on TV go way above budget & seem to give alot of stress to people unaware of what there letting themselves in for - fine if your in the building game & can turn your hand to alot of it yourself!!
Colin

22nd Nov 06 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had the money, id buy this -

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-12418862.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

[Edited on 22-11-2006 by Colin]
mwg

22nd Nov 06 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have to put a garage at the end of that drive
Cosmo

22nd Nov 06 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G

looks like there is one through the gates!
Daimo B

22nd Nov 06 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Modern houses suck. The walls are made or paper mache, the insullation comprises of cotten wool, and its about mass producing a house for as little as possible and making a profit.

We looked at some brand new homes. Up for about £200k.. Nice places, tap the walls, oooeeerrrrr... I got a call back a few months later..

EA: Hi, i was wondering if you were still interested in the house..

Me: Errr, thanks, but not really no.

EA: Do you mind if i ask why your no longer interested?

Me: Sure.. TBH mate, i can either spend £200k on a brand new 2 bedroom house from you, shoddy thin walls, be able to hear next door 24/7, and be crowded in an estate....

OR

I can spent £20k less, get a 3 bedroom house with 2 double rooms, a double garage, a nice sized garden, local shops and a pub, and have far more room around my actual house, and have solid walls that are made of brick and not a cheap partitions..

EA: oh, ok then, is it a new house.

ME: Nope, a late 1960's house, the last decade of them making proper houses.

EA: oh, ok, well thanks for your honesty, not many people just tell say that.

Me: No worries, im not geting it so it doesn't really bother me anyway, i've already put a deposit on mine.

EA: Oh, ok.

[Edited on 22-11-2006 by VXR]
Colin

22nd Nov 06 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

looks like there is one through the gates!

Yip that's the external double garage past the gates.
mwg

22nd Nov 06 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ace. I thought that was a fence at the end of the drive and the roof you could see was another houses
mwg

22nd Nov 06 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing.

When I say I prefer new build I dont neccesarily mean new houses. I suppose what I really mean is any house with cavity walls So I suppose thats not always new build

[Edited on 22-11-2006 by Matty G]
Colin

22nd Nov 06 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Modern houses suck. The walls are made or paper mache, the insullation comprises of cotten wool, and its about mass producing a house for as little as possible and making a profit.

We looked at some brand new homes. Up for about £200k.. Nice places, tap the walls, oooeeerrrrr... I got a call back a few months later..

[Edited on 22-11-2006 by VXR]

There is some decent houses past 1960, my grans house is 35yrs old & still solid built, that one I posted above is 15yr old & private built by a class local builder. Agree the ones being pumped out today by the likes of persimmon, barratt, bryant homes etc are shit quality....ive seen what you hav'nt actually working for them & being on site during construction, some of what goes on amazes me & its all about speed & cheapness!!

I too wouldnt have partition walls....id end up pissed & fall through the bedroom wall into the landing or something

Colin

22nd Nov 06 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Another thing.

When I say I prefer new build I dont neccesarily mean new houses. I suppose what I really mean is any house with cavity walls So I suppose thats not always new build

All houses have cavity walls external its written into the building reg's. Its the internal walls they no longer build single brick but framed & sheeted....whichis fine if your doing a wee extention/putting in an en-suite but I dont fnacy my whole house built that way!!

mwg

22nd Nov 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know that the internal walls are more often than not made from stud walls these days.

But the external walls haven't always been cavity. Its the houses without cavity walls and are just solid stone that I wouldn't buy. Too many problems with damp, non existant foundations etc.

Robin
Premium Member

22nd Nov 06 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Depends who builds them.

My sister lives in a house built in the late 90's, and ALL the internal walls are brick, there are no stud walls anywhere except the airing cupboard.

BUT, I'd rather live in an old house than a new one, as new ones have exactly the same problems as old ones, like rattly pipes, leaky roofs, fuses blowing all over the shop, but old ones have look better, have better sized rooms, better plots of land, and more intresting features inside.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll