corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My Fibreglass door builds, what next?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Fibreglass door builds, what next?
Fear

User status: Offline
   15th Mar 04 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres a few piccys of my door builds

This is only bit that worries me as abit hollow

Right what do i do next they have 1 layer of matting on them and i know it wouldnt be to hard to add 1 or 2 more but looking at them and tidying them up i personally dont think that they really need it, but im no fibreglass expert at all and this is my frst ever attempt

So im looking for some advice please
RichR
Premium Member

15th Mar 04 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sand it up first - to find high and low spots - then use P40 - fibreglass filler to fill the gaps, continue to sand an fill till u get a top notch glass finish.

The filler is basically chop strand matt, in a resin , but already chopped - so not in matt form nemore. use that and u should get a good all round finsih - but looking good so far

what speakers are going in
BeArDy

15th Mar 04 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cavity wall foam
Fear

15th Mar 04 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Sand it up first - to find high and low spots - then use P40 - fibreglass filler to fill the gaps, continue to sand an fill till u get a top notch glass finish.

The filler is basically chop strand matt, in a resin , but already chopped - so not in matt form nemore. use that and u should get a good all round finsih - but looking good so far

what speakers are going in

I dont need it to be a fantastic finish as being covered in foam then alcantara so finish is alot less important than if it was being painted

JL Audio 3 ways going in them
RichR
Premium Member

15th Mar 04 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still good to get it near perfect - as after a whiel ur alcantara will pull away from the lwo spots and leave sags - get it smooth as possible for the finish

how do u plan to cover the inside of the pocket - Im starting my door build hopefully in a few weeks b4 donny, and thinking spraying them - as I cant figure out how to cover inside the pocket and make it look good
iceman

15th Mar 04 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking Good Matey
Fear

15th Mar 04 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
still good to get it near perfect - as after a whiel ur alcantara will pull away from the lwo spots and leave sags - get it smooth as possible for the finish

how do u plan to cover the inside of the pocket - Im starting my door build hopefully in a few weeks b4 donny, and thinking spraying them - as I cant figure out how to cover inside the pocket and make it look good

Yeh will get it to best finish i can

Im not gonna be covering them im getting them trimmed when interior is re-trimmed and the guy is gonna make up proper pocket type things to sit in there

The door pocket as standard can be pulled apert into 2 sections and so if your builds still allow this then you can trimme each part and put back together but with mine i couldnt

Beardy: Cavity wall foam, where should i put that
antonOO2

15th Mar 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice ,lot of work gone into them i bet .also i have the same duvet
Fear

15th Mar 04 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antonOO2
very nice ,lot of work gone into them i bet .also i have the same duvet

A fair bit of work yeh thats why i aint really wanting to do anymore fibreglassing:S

Same duvet
antonOO2

15th Mar 04 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ow yeah forgot to say i hope you have electric windows
Fear

15th Mar 04 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes i do have leccy window
antonOO2

15th Mar 04 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just checking
BeArDy

15th Mar 04 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CheekyCorsa

Fear

15th Mar 04 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeArDy
quote:

was meaning the bits round the rings where he mat hasnt stuck flat to the material underneath
Dom

15th Mar 04 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Beardy: Cavity wall foam, where should i put that

i know this is for beardy, but spray the foam in the back of the door cards, but obviously not in the speaker recess areas, just around them, so put abit of rolled up card in the speaker holes (so its a tight fit) the spray the foam around them - leave it to set, the sand any of it down if needed

my mate did this after he built his door pods as he said they sounded crap, but they sound pretty meaty and solid since hes filled them with foam

[Edited on 15-03-2004 by VisibleMan]

[Edited on 15-03-2004 by VisibleMan]
Claire Richardson

15th Mar 04 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd certainly suggest another layer of fibreglass matting to make it more solid. If you use the fibreglass paste on it would make the build heavier. Using sheets cuts down on the weight.
Use an orbital sander on the dried matting to get the rough edges off, then use bodyfiller to get the smooth finish.
As smooth as you can too no matter whats covering them. Things will sink after time. Its not the smooth finish thats a problem though with these things, its getting the level finish thats a pain. You get dips and ripples and its these that cause the problem.
As for the foam, the idea is right, filling the space behind, but I would tend to go for the wadding TBH. Thats what I'm gonna use any ways. Components and mids need air and if you fill the hole behind, you'll be cutting down on that. Using wadding dampens the sound for that quality, but doesnt exhaust it like the foam might. If you put too much foam in, it'll be a twat to dig out. You can add or take away with wadding.
All thats left is LOADS OF SANDING
Be prepared cause it takes forever

Claire
Kris TD

15th Mar 04 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i was to make them again, once i had the fibreglass frame i would make the shape with expanding foam, cut it too shape which is very easy, then put some resin over it then a skim of filler, very easy to do.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My Fibreglass door builds, what next? 23 database queries in 0.0119231 seconds