corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » help getting broadband in my house!!!!!!!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help getting broadband in my house!!!!!!!!!
M2RTY

User status: Offline
12th Oct 04 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i want UNLIMITED broadband from like 20-30 quid a month with the hardware free (sheffield s11 postcode if it matters)

not too fussed if its not a 12 month contract but i only want 9 if possible

also whats best way to share it between 3 people in one house with 3 pcs?

mart
Richie

12th Oct 04 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will want a router with NAT capabilites, but an ISP is unlikely to provide this hardware for free.

Your other option is to use shitty XP internet connection sharing
M2RTY

12th Oct 04 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
You will want a router with NAT capabilites, but an ISP is unlikely to provide this hardware for free.

Your other option is to use shitty XP internet connection sharing

i just want free equipment to link one PC for now

was going down the wireless nertwork route but il probs have to change the modem to one with wireless router built in no??

also the net ones are asking for a BT fone number to check availability, am i being silly here but do we need a fone first in order to get broadband or are they asking this to check where we live for availability? cheers
Stuckey

12th Oct 04 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think blue yonder broadband give u free wireless network stuff, not sure
Richie

12th Oct 04 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no you do need the line to be installed first to place an order for broadband. They have to do the specific line quality/line loss tests on that line and to do the Pre E co with BT and shit.

Tis daft i know, but u need the line.
M2RTY

12th Oct 04 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck so there is no way around it? not paying for a phoneline to be connected just so we can get broadband

can i cancel phoneline and keep braodband running or does it need an active foneline?

if so might cancel phone contract in 14 days (if i can) and keep bb running once its set up lol
Ryan L

12th Oct 04 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't need a BT phone line if you live in a NTL cable area, I have 750kbps connection with no phone line via NTL in my flat at uni
3CorsaMeal

12th Oct 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just drill a hole in the skirting board and feed wire thru that and up the wall cavity

or should i of read your post before replying?
sassyminx

12th Oct 04 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get 3 wireless pci networking thingys

its all rich and i have for our pcs and it aint slowed the connection down much at all tbh
Richie

12th Oct 04 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Marv you need a phone line to recieve a broadband service, unless you go with cable.

There isnt any other way around it. All ISP's pay a certain amount to BT for the use of the broadband exchange but you still have to pay line rental to BT.
Ryan L

12th Oct 04 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in my experience wireless routers are not as good as conventional cable ones, as my friend who lives in another house has set up a wireless network and they constantly have problems with the connection being lost and it cannot be recieved in loft either where they have had a conversion
sassyminx

12th Oct 04 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well ive got one in front room and one in bedroom and signal is usually very good all the time

suppose if it was in the loft might be a bit shite
Ryan L

12th Oct 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and wireless ones are about twice the price
Dom

12th Oct 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
Marv you need a phone line to recieve a broadband service, unless you go with cable.

There isnt any other way around it. All ISP's pay a certain amount to BT for the use of the broadband exchange but you still have to pay line rental to BT.

yup richie is right if your getting ADSL, then you NEED a BT phoneline...no buts or anything you NEED one and pay rental for it (about 10 - 15 quid from BT i think a 1/4). Then ontop of that you have your ADSL isp supplier, 20-30 quid. So you will be paying 34 quid or something a month. Also NOTE that alot of isps only offer "wires" broadband, where you have to buy the modem and other bits. Otherwise you usually pay alot more for an ISP supplier with modem rental etc
But you do also have a telephone line available, for calls etc

If you live in a cabled area, then i would go with that, as you can get a BB connection for 25 quid (ntl 750k about the same for telewest/blueyonder) a month, and that includes your cable modem rental and is alot easier to add routers etc too and you wont have any redundant equipment after the upgrade
But you dont have a phoneline, unlike ADSL BB.

hope this helped mate
Claire Richardson

12th Oct 04 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna be changing my line rental from BT soon.
I pay £10.50 per month for the line rental with BT and pay for my calls through Homecall (cheaper rates the BT apparently)
Homecall have just sent me some stuff through about their new offer:
Line rental £9.99 per month
Broadband £24.99 per month (512k) including FREE modem FREE connection. Unlimited FREE local and national calls up to 90mins any time of day. FREE onspeed CD to make the connection 3x faster
So for me I'll be saving 51p per month (not much like, but its £6.12 a year in my pocket than BT's) But I'll also be saving loads on me phone bill cause there's no call charges .
Their broadband is the same price as the aol I'm on at the mo so no saving there, but not losing out either.
Seems like an offer to me
Was looking into the telewest offer of line rental, broadband and digital TV for £30 per month, but I'm not in a telewest area
Kerry

12th Oct 04 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if anything claire u are gaining by the fact IMO aol are rubbish
Claire Richardson

12th Oct 04 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yesh, thinking about it mate. Have had a number of problems with aol, but to give their support team credit, they've always bin able to sort it over the phone.
Shouldnt have to keep ringing for the same problems tho.
Need an email change then

New Poll