corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT Guys ( How does broadband routers work? )

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT Guys ( How does broadband routers work? )
Dean_H

User status: Offline
20th Sep 03 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can someone give me a basic idea how broadband routers work as im getting broadband next month.

I currently have a network set-up with 2 pc's but when i get my broadband you can add my ps2 to that aswell so im looking into a router.

So you plug the router into the broadband phone line?
Get normal RJ45 socket networked wire and plug it from the network card from the back of the pc to the router?
So a broadband router is a internet sharer and file/printer sharer in one?

Can someone who has one set up at home explain please?

Thanks!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Sep 03 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a router/switch combo.

router plugs into the phone line, and you can normally control it over a web interface over the network. Your two pc's will connect into the rj45 ports on the switch part, keeps everything nice and simple.

You can get these combo routers that have printer server/switch/router/toaster nowdays.
willay
Premium Member

20th Sep 03 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Names to look out for, netgear, dlink, linksys, check websites such as dabs.com and ebuyer.com for good deals, or if you have a model you have set your heart on, try checking www.ebay.co.uk for a cracking price
Claire

20th Sep 03 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have a wireless one, you have to have one compute wired directly to it via a normal network cable into the network card of the computer. The broadband modem also plugs into the router and then each aditional computer has a little wireless network reciever which plugs into a standard USB socket.
Claire

20th Sep 03 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ours is linksys by the way.
ChazSXi

20th Sep 03 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so u can have a laptop in one room and the main computer in another and use the boradband at the same time!?! will it slow it down too much?! also how much are the wireless routers and are they difficult to install/setup?!
willay
Premium Member

20th Sep 03 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless having a wired connection into the switch is alot of hassle then go for wireless, and then make sure everything is secured and you dont have some fuck using your connecting outside your house in his car for evil doings.
willay
Premium Member

20th Sep 03 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChazSXi
so u can have a laptop in one room and the main computer in another and use the boradband at the same time!?! will it slow it down too much?! also how much are the wireless routers and are they difficult to install/setup?!

yes using a network you can have 10+ machines using the same line, it will slow down if everyone is downloading or loading webpages with large images. Wireless routers under £100 i think and using the manual wont be hard to setup, remember you'll have to buy wireless cards for all the machines that want to access it aswell.
willay
Premium Member

20th Sep 03 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if you arent so hot with computers they do try to make these devices idiot proof.
Claire

20th Sep 03 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think ours was about £160 for the router then each box was another £60. Although this was a while back so i'm sure they have come down alot since. I am told that your connection will slow down as more computers use it (makes sense) but I have never noticed a difference (we only have 4 on the network tho)
willay
Premium Member

20th Sep 03 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

claire g- the prices sound right for the that kinda time back then... It all depends what kind of task they are doing on the internet, if they are in a chat room, wont use much, if they are viewing corsasport posts (not many images), wont slow it down much but if they are on a hunt for naked pictures of britney spears and downloading flash games, the internet connection will seem slow. I'm not sure if they include this as a feature of new SOHO routers but they might have load balancing where they can make sure every computer has a equal amount of the line's bandwidth when it accesses it, normally called QoS or something.
Dean_H

20th Sep 03 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks everyone!
Can anyone recommend around the £30-70 mark?
Dean_H

20th Sep 03 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW ive ordered the BT modem thing for £50 with the 2 free microfilters, shall i cancel that modem before i get it and get a router insted?
Claire

20th Sep 03 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so thats why it only slows down when my dad is online
Neshol

20th Sep 03 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah get a modem/router combi unit mate.
Neshol

20th Sep 03 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno about if you're goin wireless tho...
willay
Premium Member

20th Sep 03 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welsh_sxi thing is its takes a bit of research to find the correct device for you, you can always just use the device, then buy the new router/switch combo device and sell the BT modem/whatever on ebay. Good luck!
Neshol

20th Sep 03 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Hope that helps
Bart

6th Jan 06 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean_H
BTW ive ordered the BT modem thing for £50 with the 2 free microfilters, shall i cancel that modem before i get it and get a router insted?

hell yeah!

for £60 you can have Netgear DG834GT router, or if you dont want wireless, and want to save yourself a tenner you can buy the Netgear DG834 for £50.
both superb routers.

They basically are modem with a built in switch.
Because they have their own power supply the connection is 'always on' where as your normal usb DSL modem would switch off when your PC is switched off.
Ant

6th Jan 06 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant fault the netgear dg834
Dan B

6th Jan 06 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ditto, I'm using the Netgear DG834G v2......never had any problems with it. Before I had to power-cycle it the other day, the connection had a 900-hour uptime.
mav

6th Jan 06 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this should be in geek day.
_Allan_

6th Jan 06 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Claire
we have a wireless one, you have to have one compute wired directly to it via a normal network cable into the network card of the computer. The broadband modem also plugs into the router and then each aditional computer has a little wireless network reciever which plugs into a standard USB socket.

Most now come with an ADSL modem built in and only need the ethernet connection intially to set it up. Once setup you can leave the router in one room plugged into the phone line and browse away in the rest of the house via laptops / desktops etc..

New Poll